Frugal Village Forums banner

Need to compare.

Tags
compare
1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  frugalmel 
#1 ·
DH declared his intention yesterday to get me a kitchen aide for christmas.
Now for my dilema. I really do need a stand mixer. My wrists are just not strong enough to make large batches of dough with the hand one, plus its begining to over heat. We have had this hand mixer for 10 years so I suppose it has served its purpose.
Now the trouble is, there are several things i need for my "office" as well as my kitchen.
I really want to get back into the online auction thing, I used to do real well on ebay and want to begin again. To do that I need decent pictures, which our $20 wally digi cam does not provide. The pics are grainy and hard to see. Plus it is sort of difficult to use.
I also need a color printer. These are about $40 for a really nice one. This is so I can make things here, such as recipe cards, various cards etc. They just do not look right on the black laser jet! This is a plan too for gift giving, I am currently working on a project i have wanted to do for years, my own cook book. I want to include graphics which do not look right in black!
Then there is the stand mixer. Walmart has a 300 watt kitchen aid for $199. They also have a GE stand mixer, with beaters and dough hooks and 2 bowls for $47.
Now if I go with the GE DH would spend less for all 3 items I need/want than for just the kitchen aid.
I know kitchen aid is the rolls royce of stand mixers, but it only has 25 watts more power than the GE and I do not see how that justifies its $152 higher price tag. My thought is, the stand mixer will last at least 10 years, and by then we will be kidless and hopefully more secure money wise. Plus hopefully i will be making some money myself.
I have always wanted a kitchen aid but over the last year my focus has changed, I want something that will do the job and not sink my wallet at the same time.
So if we were to switch places which way would you go? I really think the best way is to go with the GE, since it will spread our already limited money futher. i am not sure yet how he has budgetted for christmas, as far as I know there is little or no money for it! I woudl rather go for the stuff that will give us more saving potential over the long road as well.
Help!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I am all for saving money if they are almost the same except for the wattage. I would go with the GE as well and save the extra money for the new printer you want.

:smball:

#3 ·
I have a Montgomery Ward stand mixer with the same attachments as a KA and I picked it up at a church rummage sale for $10.00. It is an oldie but it serves my purposes just as well as a KA (not that I would not love to have a nice shiny pretty new KA if money was no object, LOL). I would go for the $47 model for now and the other objects that you are needing.

Kudos to your DH for wanting to get you such a great gift. :clap:

#6 ·
Sis, do you make your own bread and baking products. If you do you won't ever regret purchasing a KA and the resale value is worth it. Have you looked on e-bay or at reconditioned KA?

Mine is a 6 qt. (475 watt), its green and I use it almost everyday. I mix up a batch of bread in just minutes (4 loaves). A 300 watt won't don't that, just so you know. You'll only be able to mix up a 2 loaf batch, because most 4 loave batches call for 12 cups. of flour.

Just something to think about!!

#7 ·
Well Sis, i do all my own baking now. BUT i only make 2 loaf batches of bread at a time, every couple days.
I do make larger batches of cookie dough and refrigerate them so I can just make cookies and serve them hot and fresh when the mood strikes. (this also saves me the trouble of refilling the cookie jar daily, and lets me limit the amount of cookies eatren!)
I would love a KA and if money was no object then yes i would get one in a heart beat. For us now thats not the case. If the GE will last it will work just as well for me, plus my kids won't be living at home much longer. Once it is just dh and I (in about 2-3 years) i won't be baking near as much as now.

#8 ·
My mom has a Kitchen Aide. She loves it. BUt on the other hand my grandmother has a stand mixer by another company that she loves to use, and does every day. Mom uses hers one in awhile. my grandmother has had hers (it may be a GE, I don't know) for about 4 years now.

If it were me, Id go for the GE and get all the other things I need as well, such as the printer and digi cam. :)

#9 ·
My mother has an old sunbeam stand mixer (not sure what age but it's old...it's chrome) that my sil gave her a zillion years ago. It works like a trojan but she's not baking 4 loaves of bread at a time either. I have neither I have an Oster kitchen center and it does all that I ever ask of it. I'm for saving the money and getting more to make money with Mel. Just be sure to check the warranty on the GE. If it's like 3 yrs. or something then that should be plenty of time to see if you're gonna burn it up!

#10 ·
Maybe you could win one www.womansday.com and go to the contest section , scroll down & you'll see the link.

Red hot red too. Vroom Vroom :)

The GE one sounds nice too.:thumb:Good luck!!!!

#11 ·
I have both the Oster Kitchen Center and the Heavy Duty KitchenAid mixer. Making bread 4 times a week was burning out the motor on the Oster so we invested in the KitchenAid. It has paid for itself time and time over by now and even my teenaged sons enjoy using it. I have to say that if you do alot of baking, the KithcenAid is worth it!

#12 ·
I have a Kitchen Aid on my "want" list. It sounds to me, Mel, like it would depend on how much you think you will use it. If you will do what CJ and Debbie do, make many loaves at once, I would get a KA. If you won't make quite that amount, I would go with the GE provided the warranty is good.

Lotsa help huh ;) :hug2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.