Tips for those who must travel in bad weather
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs up Tips for those who must travel in bad weather

Most of these are common sense, but I figured I would post it anyway. I got if off the internet while looking at the weather/traffic report for my area.

If you absolutely must travel, the Highway Patrol recommends the following precautions:

Reduce your speed. Driving at the regular speed limit will reduce your ability to control the car if you begin to slide.

Leave plenty of room between you and other vehicles.

Bridges and overpasses accumulate ice first. Approach them with extreme caution and do not apply your brakes while on the bridge.

If you do begin to slide, take your foot off the gas and turn the steering wheel in the direction of the slide. Do not apply the brakes as that will cause further loss of control of the car.

If you become trapped in your car:

Pull off the highway; stay calm and remain in your vehicle. At night, turn on the inside dome light, so work and rescue crews can see you.

Set your directional lights to "flashing" and hang a cloth or distress flag from the radio aerial or window. In a rural or wilderness area, spread a large cloth over the snow to attract attention of rescue crews who may be surveying the area by airplane.

Do not set out on foot unless you can see a building close by where you know you can take shelter.

If you run the engine to keep warm, open a window slightly for ventilation. This will protect you from possible carbon monoxide poisoning. Periodically clear away snow from the exhaust pipe.

Exercise to maintain body heat, but avoid overexertion. In extreme cold, use road maps, seat covers and floor mats for insulation. Huddle with passengers and use your coat as a blanket.

Never let everyone in the car sleep at once. One person should stay awake to look out for rescue crews.

Be careful not to use battery power. Balance electrical energy needs -- the use of lights, heat and radio -- with your supply.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the tips, Kathryn!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

More from the Highway patrol here:

Carry extras of perscription meds in your car with you. If you are on a schedule to take meds you might not get home soon enough to take a much needed medication.

carry a flashligh, batteries, water, blanket, tealight candles, lighter, snacks and a battery powered radio in the car. in cases where you are stranded in teh snow or incliment weather for long periods of time these items may be necessary for heat, warmth, and nourishment.

there were more but i believe Kathryn covered them in her post.

Kamloops in the central desert area of BC
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

good tips.

Dh and I just got home from a trip to Vancouver (BC) we live in Kamloops. We come home thru some mountain passes.

We passed 3 accidents, all looked like speed, 2 of which were tail gating. Dh is a careful driver who drives a lot for work and knows what is safe and lots of idiots were rushing past us or tail gating despite it being 2 lanes each way (4 lane highway).

It was snow, slush, ice on the roads and blizzard conditions going up from the coastal mountains. People with 4x4's are the worst, with SUV's short behind, then little sports cars. All of the above seem to feel they are immune to ice and snow and drive way beyond conditions.

Tail gating and driving too fast for conditions cause most winter accidents around here.