Frugal Village Forums banner

rainbow lorikeets

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  frugalmel 
#1 ·
It's 6am and I can hear hundreds of rainbow lorikeets squawking in the rainforest at the back of our house. Every so often something scares them and they all fly off in a huge cloud of red, and green. They circle a few times and go back to their squarking in the tree tops.

#7 ·
How funny. Those are sold as pets, people covet them and tend to their every whim here. Yet there in Austrailia they are outside living in colonies, like our sparrows and pigeons! I would love to see them in the wild someday, they must be much prettier to see in the morning than the sparrows we have here.

#8 ·
When I put the doggies out for the day, an eagle was screeching about something in our woods this morning.  I stopped everything just to listen.  I was hopeing that it would leave it's nest and fly over.  It's good luck (so our native American residents say) to see a bald eagle in flight.

Susie in MN

#9 ·
We have wedge-tail eagles here, Susie. They are magnificent, as are all eagles.

Melissa, these lorikeets can be a bit of a pest here. They gather in huge numbers and if you feed them, they will come into your yard waiting for food. They have a funny walk, like a little hopping-jump-walk and they will sit on your head and shoulders if they know you'll feed them. They are nectar and grain eaters so they love honey soaked grain bread.

#12 ·
They are just too beutiful for words! How lucky you are to have them flying loose.

Susie in MN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.