Frugal Village Forums banner

What to wear? In-laws 50-th anniversary party.

12K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  frugal4me 
#1 ·
In-laws have been married 50 yrs.

They're having a big party in a rented hall.

In July. In Dallas. (Can you spell SWEATING?)

I don't want to splurge for a chiffon-type dress that I'll wear only once, but ...

MIL will be wearing something fancy and floaty. Maybe even floor-length.

One sil says, "anything goes." Another sil says she'll be 'fairly dressy.'

I ws thinking of a rayon navy sheath, with a navy jacket or blazer. (I'm heavy, and I need to cover my arms and tummy!)

I already have the dress, but my 1st shopping trip didn't turn up anything that went well w/ it. Maybe a chiffon tunic over the dress?

Anyway, how dressy would you be? And where would you find the jacket or blazer or tunic if you wanted to 'spice up' that navy dress?

DH will be wearing a suit. So will FIL. Men have it easy! Maybe I shouldn't say taht -- suits are expensive.

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe you could find a lacy shawl or lacy jacket that will cover but also let the air flow through & keep you cooler. I would wear a cocktail type dress.

You may also look try a second hand store or thrift shop. Have fun hunting & at the party. 50 years is really something to celebrate!:heartsm:

#4 ·
Can you sew? If you do, why not check out the pattern books and make something that would go over the dress. I would also check out the thrift stores. Things we need sometimes just seem to be there.:D

#5 ·
Oh. MIL noticed -- and commented -- when I wore that dress to 2 functions previously: a baptism a year ago and DD's 1st Communion this year. "Is that the same outfit you wore to Garrett's baptism?"

Tacky of her to mention it, eh? But I think she'd feel slighted if I wore that dress -- with no embellishments -- to her big party.

#6 ·
Check out eBay. They have lots of nice plus sized name brand clothing at great prices. I have bought a couple of nice cocktail type dresses from there for holiday parties and have both were under $20 plus shipping.

#9 ·
Little black or little navy dress are perfect.

I like the suggestion of a lacy top or lace shawl/jacket thing.

Or what you suggest, the chiffon overtop thing.

Maybe dye a pair of shoes and a handbag from the thrift store (in good shape of course) some really pretty colour that will draw the eyes such as red, or kelly green or something.

That way they don't notice the dress at all. It's the backdrop for the purse and shoes.

Dye a nice straw hat and bag and wear navy or black shoes if you need to draw the eyes up.

Reactions: Early Bird
#10 ·
Check out the thrift stores for some pretty costume jewelry. A brooch on the shoulder is another way to snazzy up a plain sheath type dress and it draws the eye and attention away from the fact that you've worn that dress before. A bit Retro 60's sparkly and big.

A large set of good fake pearls on a necklace arrangement sort of big Chanel style also tends to look good with the plain lines of a sheath dress. Wear with a large set of fake pearl studs or mabe pearls (the fat ones cut in half mounted on a gold rim).

Do the hair up a bit and show off the ears.

#11 ·
Well, I bought a floor-length black velvet skirt on ebay. (Item # 5301041655 for anyone who's interested.) I'll probably hem it to lower-calf level.

I know, velvet in July in Texas! But I'll wear a summery dressy blouse with it (looking on ebay as we speak). And I figure I can wear this skirt to church at Christmas or any other dressy occasion.

#12 ·
Here's the blouse I bought: ebay item 5300896347

And I ended up buying a long, black RAYON skirt to go w/ it.

So, I spent $42, including shipping for all 3 items (Actually, shipping was $15 of it!) I got

* floor-length black velvet skirt ($12 plus $5 shipping)
* floor-length black rayon skirt ($8 plus $5 shipping)
* silky print blouse ($7 plus $5 shipping)

I think these will work out. And, I can wear the skirts to other dressy occasions.

Now, I hope they all fit!

#14 ·
I'm just appreciative that Katybird on this forum suggested ebay! It was a terrific suggestion!

As of last night, I had 61 items I was watching. And, since most competition seems to be for New With Tags, I got some good buys on 'gently worn' pieces. In fact, everything I bid on, I got!

But now, I'm wondering ... I still have some allowance left I COULD spend on MORE clothes! Would I like Blouse C or D as well? What about some of the great casual knits? And maybe a Pashima shawl?:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.