ADD and medications
    pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question ADD and medications

Hi. My 15 yo was just evaluated for ADD/learning disabilities and there are strong indicators that he probably does have ADD. He's flunking out in a couple of classes at school and we've tried just about everything else but medications yet. I think we're finally ready to consider this option, but I just need to hear from other moms who have had experience with their children being on them for ADD. Have they worked? Have the side effects been tolerable? This is such a hard decision, but I feel we need to do something. It's so heart breaking to watch your kids fail.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my husband is adhd.... we finally have gotten him on meds. Best thing that we ever did. My friend has a dd with adhd... they have her on meds... best thing they ever did. I would look into concerta or stratera. Stratera is what we are going to try on my dh now... becouse getting ridilin is a pain in the butt. He daughter takes stratera. she is 14. (I think,,,)

Look at it this way... his brain isnt functioning as it should. This is no different then having to have him on insulin if he were diabetic. Yes, it will take awhile to find the right med, the right dose... but the rewards at the end. will be worth it. Its no fun to have your brain race 15 ways to sundown constently. And no matter how hard he tries... its just one of those things. The meds will help him FOCUS! and he will be able to complete tasks at hand, think clear thoughts..... for my dh, the focus part... its miriculas at the difference.

best of luck to you and your son

MMP
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DS, age 10, is on Concerta. I can tell the difference!!!!! I, too, fought the medication, but it is the best thing for him. He just passed 4th grade. I am proud to say the only subject he got a C in all year was reading(which is his hardest subject). He, too, has learning disablities. They work very hard in our school system to help him.

Kamloops in the central desert area of BC
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Go for it! When ds needed the drug (ritalin) when he went from a small, quiet, structured private elementary school to a large, busy, noisy, confusing high school we sure noticed the difference in his marks.

The next year we homeschooled him, till college and went off the Ritalin, but it did make a difference when he needed it.

I'd go for it.

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, thank you for the replies. The problem really became noticable when he changed from a small, private school to a very large, public school. If we can just get thru the next couple days, and I'm still hoping he won't actually fail a couple classes( I know that I'm in denial here), maybe we can figure out our strategy for the fall semester.
    I've heard that Concerta gives good coverage throughout the day, and also am wondering how well Stratera does, as it's not classified as a stimulant? Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you ruled out his diet? Our friend's dd was diagnosed adhd and the doctor (and the school) wanted to go the medication route. They (the parents) put her on Feingold diet instead and in about three weeks it was a totally different little girl... she was calm, she wasn't antsy or bouncy around, she wasn't non-stop talking, etc. Her diet is not all that weird... mostly just changing the brands of what they ate and eliminating a few foods (apples is one that comes to mind).

Anyway, if you're interested the website is www.feingold.org

Best wishes to you and your son.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a 15 yr old dd on Concerta and my 6 yr old son is also on it. What a difference it makes!!! We didn't like Ritalyn.

Their performance academically is very much improved. Their behavior is a huge change also. Both of mine have ADHD and it is unbelievable. I used to be against these drugs. My dd was on ritylin years ago and I took her off of it because she was always walking around like a zombie. But at the beginning of this school year, she came to me and said she thinks she should go back on meds. That told me she knew she needed help. So, we made the appointment and they put her on that. Actually, we just changed it to Stratera. But, like I said, the difference is unbelievable. She actually likes school now and tries her very best!!

Good luck to you!

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We did have ds checked for hidden food allergies when he was younger. At that point, he did seem to have the hyperactivity part. He seems a little impulsive these days at times, but not overly active anymore. His main concern now seems to be attention.
    Let me know if you think Strattera seems to work as well as the ritalin or concerta. Thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Concerta certainly works much better than Ritalin. The strattera, I'm not sure yet. She's still on a low dosage of it. I think it needs to be increased because I've noticed her changing for the bad. What the Dr. did was start weaning her off the concerta and starting her on the strattera. So, she is still taking both. The only reason we're doing that is she reached the highest dosage of concerta and she needed more.
    I'll keep you posted on how she does with the strattera.

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks.