Frugal Village Forums banner

Need cell phone help....

Tags
cell phone
2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  couponchic 
#1 ·
Jack just got a new job driving bus for a charter company which means he will be away from home for long periods of time. We need to get a cell phone (or 2) and the guys in the garage said Sprint is the best around here for coverage. So far it is the only one I found that even HAS coverage out here in the boonies, but we are more concerned that while on the road he will have coverage.

Does anyone have or used Sprint in the past and did you like them? What questions should I ask when I speak to someone? I have never even used a cell phone before so I am a duck out of water here. :D

TIA

#2 ·
My daughter had Sprint and loved it, but Adrian hs Nextel and ALL incoming calls are free, but mobile to mobile (you and Jack talking to each other) is all free with sprint.

I have Cingular nationwide and my mobile to mobile is free too, but my range is terrible, I dont recommend them.

#3 ·
Thanks Robin. :)

#4 ·
We have Cellular One, because it's the only one that we can get in our area. My DH is an over the road truck driver and travels from one coast to the other. There are a few states that I have problems reaching him in, but very few. We like Cell One, pretty much.

Susie in MN

#5 ·
I have Verizon, and I love it. I have heard nothing but bad things about Sprint. I hope that your experience is not that way. Verizon has Nation Wide coverage, and when you talk to other verizon customers it is free. Not to mention, the customer service is top notch.

#6 ·
We live in an area with limited cell phone coverage as well. We've found those dorky little stick on antenna boosters really do work.

You will most likely need to sign a contract of some sort, usually 2 years. There should be a clause in that contract that states something about they have to provide services as promised or the contract is void. What I am getting at is if they tell you that you will have service in a certain area and you find you don't, make sure they will let you out of the contract.

#7 ·
Hubby and I have used cellphones for years. We've been with many different companies (currently on Verizon) and I think they're all the same - bad. Do go with a company that has coverage in your area. Also, go with the best digital phone you can afford. My hubby's phone is better (newer) than mine and he can get coverage in places I can't. Sign the shortest plan you can get. Get the cheapest plan you can. If you find yourself not using up your minutes, use the phone for long distance calls from home. Usually long distance on a cellphone is free (or already paid for) while calls from home can be 10 cents a minute or more.

#8 ·
We had verizon and hated it, same with worldcom (they are kaput now i think). Dh has Tmobile and likes them alot. I can net page him with that, which is great. :)

#9 ·
Deed...Talk to Sandra about T-Mobile :D

#10 ·
We had Sprint and had terrible coverage and the customer service was pretty poor too. We now have US Cellular and are very pleased with it. We have good coverage, no dead spots that we have found and nationwide long distance for free.

#11 ·
Can't help you my friend, I just talked on one for the first time a couple of weeks ago, lol. I felt like Captain Kirk & wanted to say "beam me up Scotty".
Everyone seems to have one, Jack say's he never will ...but then again this is the same guy who said he'd never have a computer.:laugh:
Just want to wish you luck. Aren't all these changes exciting?

#12 ·
Thanks for all the information ladies. :)

Jack came home today with a company cell phone which is by Sprint. He will carry this one whenever he goes on a trip so I guess we only have to get one for home. We don't get cable out here or dsl service and internet hook-up via the satellite dish is way too expensive so have to stay with dial-up for the computer which means either we get a cell phone so work can call him whenever or I stay off the net. Guess we get a cell phone! :D

Mom, I taked to Sandra about T-Mobile (my sis Sandy works for T-Mobile). They don't have coverage here yet neither does Cingular, Verizon or AT&T.

Darlene, I feel the same way! :laugh:

#13 ·
Dee, great news about Jack's job.

Here you can buy a phone and just use a prepaid card or have them post out your bill every month. Alternatively, you can buy your phone through a deal where you have to sign up for so many months, usually 2 years. If you can afford it, buy your phone. Then, if you have coverage in your area, go with the same comapny Jack's phone is on as they'll have free deals and maybe even free calls at night.
Just one more thing, if you sign a contract, make sure you know exactly what you're signing as phone companies have a terrible reputation.
Good luck.

#14 ·
It might be less expensive to get a second phone line for your computer. Do you know anyone who's smart enough to hook it up for you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.