Does anyone else have friend that . . .
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Does anyone else have friend that . . .

Does anyone else have friends and relatives that wonder why you are so happy to be home baking bread, hanging laundry on the line, baking and cooking from scratch, etc.? I love working only part-time so that I can be home to do all the above-mentioned things. Some of my friends and relatives look at me like "why?" But I enjoy all these things, and I am happy to be able to do them. Although I have to admit I have friends and relatives who also say good for you I wish I had time to do that.

Just wondering if anyone else deals with this.

Thanks

yolo

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i get a lot of these reactions. Everyone looks shocked when i say after i finsh my traineeship i only plan to have part time work, so i can be home for my kids, and do the housie stuff.
    But i know everyone is differnt so i dont really pay any attention. i just do what is right for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hear a lot of that too, but most of my friends and relatives are single and/or don't have kids yet. I think that having a family changes people's interests/focus somewhat. I know that 10 yrs ago if you told me that I would be a SAHM baking cookies, quilting, and sewing our clothes I would have laughed in your face. However, now that I have children and less money, I find my interests are adapting/matching my interests. Ok, I'm rambling now LOL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My family sort of makes fun of me, but I don't really care. Most of them have had to file for bankruptcy, etc. So, I think that the joke is on them! I love learning news ways to be frugal, and trying them. I love hanging laundry on the line, etc., and that is why I asked my boss to cut my hours down some so that I could stay at home more too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Same here for me, but people don`t say anything negative. You can just see it in their expression on their face, especially, that my 4th son is entering school in fall. Everyone is asking me if I`m going back to work. As if I don`t work enough, with 4 boys and an handicapped aunt to take care of...

Although my aunt is gone during the day to activities for her and even if she wasn`t in our care, I love what I do as a SAHM. I chose this because I want to be as present for my family, care for them and still have some time for me. I love to cook for my family, making our home and their enviroment warm and special for them. I can be free to volunteer in their school anytime and they appreciate that very much their mother help out with their school activities. And I want to be there when they come home from school. Even at 13, you don`t to leave them alone too long...they still need to be guided and checked on.

But, you know, I admire and respect as much a working mom. I know and see how hard working moms
    work for their jobs and for the well being of their family. My sister works full time. She didn`t have a choice, but she does all she can to care for her family. She does admit, though, being very tired at times and she wished she could slow down a little, since free time is scarce.

Boy, I am talking away!

So, wouldn`t it be fun that everyone could just be happy and respect what each and everyone does in their life?

For us SAHM, we have to proud and just close our hears and eyes to the hurtful comments. Lets be happy for our own choices...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I retired early to have more time for our Granddaughters, my DH and my home. I worked too many years for too many hours a day and I missed so much. My friends think I am nuts or lazy. That's OK. I like the slower pace of my life now. I'm here when the grandkids get ill or when they have a field trip they need drivers for at school. I also spend one day a week just having fun with my youngest granddaughter. They grow so fast and it is important to me to have time for the family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't really get that much anymore but I used to "feel it" was implied whether or not it was spoken. Now though most of my working friends voice the fact that they wish THEY could stay at home. My kids are grown, still single but I still feel like what I do is important and useful. I love being a SAHWM and dread the thought of ever having to change it.

~48 yr. old sahw, livin' it up in our empty nest, smack dab in the middle of everywhere.~

*We're debt freeeeeeeee! (including the house)*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm part time with the post office BUT have been working 40-44 hours a week. I do a lot of things on the weekend like bake bread and cook a big meal. As for keeping the house clean, I do a little bit each evening.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My family occasionally rolls their eyes at me (when I shriek when someone throws away a Ziploc bag, for instance ). I have one little friend (she's an online friend, she's 14) who laughingly calls me Amish all the time.

I don't mind. I just smile knowingly, and reserve the right to say "I told you so" when they drown in debt.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

After working for 15 years full time, I absolutly LOVE staying at home now and doing all of the domestic things. I think that some people wonder how dh and I can make it on one income, but we have saved and invested for our future. It pays to be frugal you know! My dd's are growing up so fast, and I would miss out on so much now if I were still out there working full time.