Frugal Village Forums banner

We Start Sugaring Season Today

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  MarshHen 
#1 ·
We Start Sugaring Season Today

We are starting to tap our trees today for making Maple Syrup.
We will be setting out about 25 taps and hope to get really moving this weekend on syrup.
Nothing tastes as good as pure maple syrup..
Anyone else make their own?
They say this is the first gardening of the year. Yipee

#2 ·
Good for you! Should be a great day to set your taps, warm & sunny.:)
Don't do any tapping here but we're lucky to have Maple Hill Farms nearby and they make some awesome syrup.:)
http://www.maplehillfarms.biz/

#3 ·
Can't happen fast enough. We are down to about 1/2 a jelly jar
I need it to make my wheat bread .
Pancakes etc!!
I love the smell of the sap cooking down and the taste of pure maple syrup.
Store bought just doesn't compare.:D

#4 ·
We have a friend who has maple trees on his property that he taps every year. My cousin and her husband also own one of the local sugar bushes. Pure maple syrup is just too expensive for us to have regularly though.

When we go to buy our new home in the country we hope to find one with a maple stand ( either that or we will plant one ourselves for the next generation to enjoy)

#7 ·
Sounds like so much fun! I bet it is hard work for a while, but the rewards are great. This is one country chore I wish we could do in Missouri.

#9 ·
Its hard work and some long hours boiling it down.
But there are no preservatives .
We went to a pancake breakfast a couple weeks ago and the syrup was soooo sweet. It made it so you didn't want to finish the pancake.
You figure it takes 15 gallon of sap from the tree to make one
gallon of syrup. Thats a lot of boiling and we are out there sometimes til the wee morning hours.
It is worth it.....

#10 ·
We grow sugar cane here and hubby's uncle makes the best cane syrup. We also love the sugar cane juice too, and it's a real treat to get a stalk of cane and cut off a piece and chew on it for awhile until all the sweetness is gone.

I do love good maple syrup though, and I know what you mean about any syrup being too sweet. It takes away from the flavor to me. Nothing like a good, hot homemade biscuit with a little butter and some good homemade syrup, maple or cane. :D

Yep, it is hard work with the boiling and all, but the rewards are well worth it in the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.