Meals on Wheels

Thread: Meals on Wheels

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Meals on Wheels

Anyone familiar with the program? I just took DH's grammy who is 92 to the doctor today. Poor thing can barely get up to walk. She still lives by herself and refuses help. She lives in a retirement apt complex. We do have her over 1-2 night a week for dinner but some days I am running frantically that I have no time to have her over. The dr said I should look into Meals On Wheels she refused at first but she just called me and asked me to get her some info. Anyone have any experience with the program? I tried to call but the office was already closed for the day.

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have delivered MOW's before for a service org. I think its great. My fil delivers regulary for them. I think it's worth looking into.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

MOW's is a great program......... I know several peoplw that deliver for them
    Fern

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

From what I know.... (I'm the Activity Director in a nursing home, and hear people making arrangements for them at discharge).... the quality of the meals varies with location. The local service will bring in a hot lunch and a cold supper (sandwich, salad, etc) both around noon so that the person just has to open up the box and eat later in the day. They're on their own for breakfast, but since cold cereal or toast is easy to fix, most seniors are fine with that. The cost here varies with income from what I have heard.

I more or less provide this service for DH's granny... she does not cook at all (by choice, she's physically able) and lives on her own. We bought several of those divided section plates at the Dollar Tree, and most nights when I make supper I fix a plate for her, label and date it, and pop it into the freezer. DH takes them down to her every week or so. Between me and two other family members who do this, she has plenty of frozen meals that she just has to warm up in the microwave.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have meals on wheels in our area and I think it's a great service. I've been thinking about looking into it for my own parents. They've gotten to where they don't eat well anymore and don't like the type foods that Gripey and I eat these days.

~48 yr. old sahw, livin' it up in our empty nest, smack dab in the middle of everywhere.~

*We're debt freeeeeeeee! (including the house)*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the info everyone. I appreciate it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I deliver meals on wheels and lots depends on locastion.
    I think it is a great program it gets a person at the house every week day which is a great check-in for older people who live alone, it gives the nutrution for 1 meals.
    Some of the meals taste great some are just okay but it does fulfill a balanced meal.
    It comes with proten (usually a meat like chicken breast) a veggies and a starch, we also deliver milk and a dessert. There is also a low sodium option and diebetic option if needed.
    I would call and look into it I think it is a great program, keep in mind they deliver a LOT of meals a day (our office does on average 300 meals a day) and we can't make special meals for everyone so it is whatever is made but it is edible and does met nutrution values for a meal.

Eileen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it is a great program. Both of my grandparents used them right before they moved to the nursing home. I know that with the cost fuel in our area, they are having a really hard time getting drivers and they were discussing having to scale back serving days.
    Books are the treasured wealth of the world and the fit inheritance of generations and nations. --Henry David Thoreau