Frugal Village Forums banner

Hit by Tornado

Tags
hit tornado
3K views 31 replies 29 participants last post by  jkelstaten 
#1 ·
I can't believe it's been almost a week since this happened. I've just had time to sit down and write this. I ask that you remember all of the tornado victims of GA & AL in your thoughts and prayers. We are beginning the very long process of rebuilding our community.

Our house is in worse shape than some in the neighborhood but better than others. The highlights: one bathroom ceiling caved in, three more rooms have sagging ceilings, the chimney was ripped off the roof, the front column was ripped from the rest of the porch, a tree from another part of the cul du sac landed on DH's car which also no longer has any back glass, my car has deep scratches on all sides from Lord knows what flying into it, the windows in my office imploded, and about 50 feet of our privacy fence plus the front fence gate is gone. The entire roof has to be replaced. Some of the houses here are a total loss.

It happened really fast. I was looking out our French doors and noticed the clouds were turning counter-clockwise. I walked across the dining room and great room and told DH "I think this is the real deal". By the time we got into the bathroom (which took less than five seconds), the tornado had hit. I felt the wind hit my leg (from the window implosion) as we pushed the door shut.

30 seconds later, it was over.

No one was killed here, and if you could see the damage you'd realize how amazing that is.

See less See more
#4 ·
I am glad you and your family are safe and things get back to normal soon, take care :hugz:

#8 ·
So glad that you are ok. We are still reeling from the death and destruction from the tornado in Enterprise, AL. Eight students in the high school and one senior citizen elsewhere lost their lives that day. The estimated losses in the area are 300-350 million dollars. Another nearby community was hit as well with a tremendous amount of damage as well. We are almost 50 miles from there, but have family & friends in both places, but all are safe.

#9 ·
So glad you guys are ok. It was a scary day for many.
We have had four or five funerals today and yesterday for the students killed. One of the funerals was a double funeral because the two boys had been really good friends their entire lives. They are now buried in their respective family plots, but ironically those plots are only a few feet from each other. One teacher is still in the hospital. She has several broken bones, two collapsed lungs and is five months pregnant. It is a miracle the baby is just fine. The students are going to go back to school next week, but at a different location obviously.

~Side note~ I saw the sweetest thing yesterday. A little girl was in her front yard a what looked like a lemonade stand. As we drove by she had a homemade sign that said: "Buy a necklace for Enterprise" She had made necklaces and was using the money she was making to help out the people in Enterprise. I almost wanted to cry it was so heartwarming.

#13 ·
Believe me, I was terrified...and praying fervently as we huddled together in the bathroom. We could hear pieces of the house being ripped off and things flying around and hitting things. I feared the house was coming on us and that they would pull our battered bodies from the rubble.

When I was looking out the French doors, I meant to go outside and look for the funnel. I always do that (learned from my dad) and that freaks out normal people like DH. Well, the top lock requires a key that is *always* in that lock. It wasn't Thursday night. Thank God--I never would have made it back into the house and I'd probably be pushing up daisys.

My grandma always said the Lord watches over fools and children. I'd say he was watching over me. It truly is a miracle that no one here was killed. Our hearts are broken for those in Americus and Enterprise, and they are in our ongoing prayers. We will all pull together and rebuild our communities. It will just take some time.

#14 ·
Thank goodness y'all are okay. Prayers are being sent your way.

--Michelle

#20 ·
:grouphug2Life can change in an instant. Live well, laugh often, love much.
My thoughts are with everyone trying to pick up the pieces and carry on. :heartsm:

#23 ·
I am so sorry about the tornado and the destruction, but I am so glad that you are safe. You all must have been scared to death!!!! It just amazes me how much damage and how powerful those tornados are. I hope I never see one. I will pray for you and your community members. God bless and stay safe.

#25 ·
Glad that you are safe, it is amazing the way a Tornado does its thing. I have only been in an area hit by one once so far in my life time, it still to this day amazes me the devisation it does to one house, yet leaves a neighbors house untouched. My prayers are with your family, friends and neighbors.

#26 ·
Glad to hear you and your family are doing ok. You will be in my prayers. I've been in two tornados and they are very dramatic, at least they were to me. God Bless you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.