Mom update

Thread: Mom update

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Mom update

Well, I'm home again for a few days. She had yet another round of surgery last Thursday, and is doing very well and hopefully is released to a skilled nursing facility tomorrow. Basically, in 2 weeks, she had 3 rounds of surgery (one of which included 5 different operations) and capped it off with an aide mistreating her on Sunday evening right before I called her to say I was on my way out. Luckily, I called while getting air in a low tire and I did not have the cats in the car yet - so I headed right back over to the hospital. AAAARGH! as Lucy would say! Anyway, it seems like no actual physical damage (other than pain) was inflicted, and it scared the heck out of her and upset everybody and the hospital is "investigating" the situation. Basically, the aid decided that she "should" be able to get herself back into bed - in spite of notes on the chart to the contrary by various doctors, nurses, and physical therapists - and when she pressed my mom into trying, she got mad and yelled at her when she started to lose her balance (also noted on the door and above her bed as a likely problem) and pushed her over onto the bed, grabbed her leg with the recent blood-clot surgery and tossed it up, tossed up the other leg, and left her there not straightened out and not covered. I have never felt such a strong sense of enmity toward anyone in my life - and luckily do not know who it was! I had all kinds of thoughts along the line of "You don't understand pain and disability, honey? Well let me give you a lesson first hand!" which is VERY out of character for me - not just to do it but to even THINK like that. I ended up spending another night there to check on things and am VERY uneasy about having left at all - but I CANNOT stay for any extended time and keep my job, and I am a one income household where that job is IT. So, mostly whining about being tired and frustrated and worried - but the important thing is that she is still making progress toward being released. Please pray, cross your fingers, or both that she gets away from there tomorrow, and that I can remember the people who have been kind to her rather than being consumed by this anger toward one person.

Thanks for all your support,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope that your mom feels better!

June grocery challenge $114.99/$400

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We will keep her and you in our prayers.
    DD (20)
    DS (17)
    DH (over the hill - the big 4-0)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Edna, I'm glad your mom is feeling better but I'm so sorry to hear about her treatment by that aide. That person should not be working anywhere close to the medical field. It just makes me angry thinking about it. I hope the hospital takes appropriate action. More importantly, I hope your mom continues with her successful recovery. Take care of yourself, get some rest. Keeping y'all in my prayers.

--Michelle
    ~ Michelle

Wife to DH--
    Mom to DS--
    and DD--

Avatar picture of cactus flower in bloom taken southeast side of San Antonio-May, 2013
    Mortgage -- $39,210.49

----------------------
    "The time to save is now. When a dog gets a bone, he doesn't go out and make a down payment on a bigger bone. He buries the one he's got." --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Keeping her in my thoughts

Katy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Edna, I'm so sorry to hear that your mom had to suffer this abuse. I've never understood how anyone could be so uncaring and heartless towards others, but it seems to happen all the time, especially to seniors. I am so glad to hear that your mother is improving, and I will continue to pray for her complete recovery.

(((Hugs))) to you and mom.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Edna, I am glad that your Mom is doing better. I hate to hear about her mistreatment at the hands of a nurse's aid. Don't let this go, follow up on it with the hospital, if they do not give you a satisfactory answer, then go up the ladder. Did they call the house supervisor or floor manager to talk to you when you arrived and found your Mom in that condition? Do not be satisfied with a charge nurse telling you that they will investigate it, ask to speak with patient relations, they are trained in dealing with this type of situation. If that employee treated your Mom like that, it is a sure bet that she treats others the same way. She needs to be held accountable regarding that. I don't know about the hospitals there but our big push right now in the hospital that I work in is customer service, if the customers (patients and families) are happy and content their recovery will be quicker and easier. My hospital has a 99% rating for our nurses, that means that we are in the top 1% in that nation for our care in the perception of our patients and their familes. We are very proud of it and we would never allow an employee to mistreat a patient, she would be looking for another job if she worked for my hospital.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am glad your mom is on her way to recovery. I will keep her in my prayers.

I understand your anger toward the aide who mistreated her. I would be very upset too. I hope that she loses her job.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Awww...I'm so sorry you're having to go through this...and your mom...poor lady! Sending up prayers for a quick recovery!

Keep us posted...
    Kace - married to Dh 13 years

Love to

Full-time homemaker, full-time college student. Always pinchin' pennies!