Frugal Village Forums banner

The Tut Exhibit Was...

Tags
exhibit tut
1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  nuisance26 
#1 ·
soooooooooo disappointing. Imagine 8 DARK rooms 20 X 30 and 5 DARK rooms 12 X 12 and LITERALLY 60-100 people in each of the large rooms and 30 in the small rooms. About 100 Egyptian art objects in about 30 cases and another 20 large objects scattered throughout with one item only in each small room. It was like the crush of people leaving a stadium. I can't believe they would let it get that crowded. I was dealing with it OK because I kept telling DH "The better rooms are ahead". I figured they'd have his sarcophagus or a chariot or something big that was the finale of the exhibit, but no. We turn a corner and there was the gift shop, the end. I was so angry and disappointed. 30 minutes in THAT crowd with very little Tut stuff for $61 tickets, $22 for parking 3 blocks away, $3 in tolls and $10 in gas?!?!?!?!? It's very misleading to call it a Tut exhibit. It should really be called "A few beautiful examples of Egyptian religious art as it pertains to daily life and death". So save your money folks! In fact, just buy the official Tutankhamun book for the exhibit for around $22 online and you'll see everything better and get the audio tour in written form. I had the book but didn't look through it beforehand so I wouldn't spoil my experience. I read it on the way home and if I'd seen the book before buying tickets I wouldn't have bought tickets. OK, I'm done ranting now.~

#2 ·
awe that sucks!!!! sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. Some places are like that, not what we expected. Like our aquarium museum, wow 2 seals and some fish. If your into looking at all dead stuffed animals and many kinds of butterflys, thats alright then. Not me.

#3 ·
I hear ya, my DD went to see it and she said it wasn't all that great and they really didnt even get a chance to see anything with all the crowd of people there, personally thought it was a waste of money.

#5 ·
I'm sorry to hear that~ What a huge bummer. :(

#6 ·
Bummer, that stinks! I hate it when that happens, its such a waste of good time and money. Sorry you didn't enjoy it.
Although, "very misleading to call it a Tut exhibit. It should really be called "A few beautiful examples of Egyptian religious art as it pertains to daily life and death". made me laugh :laugh:

#7 ·
I'm so sorry. I went years ago & it was totally diff. :dis:

#10 ·
I guess I might have too much time on my hands because if I were you I would write a letter to the Museum and also a letter to the editor of your local paper........it may not help you but it could save someone else......that is too much money to be that disappointed.

JMHO,
leezza

#11 ·
I saw this same exhibit while visiting family in NJ last month. It was overcrowded and I felt the same way, that it would be worth it to see the actual sarcophagus or the mask but they only had items from his family members. Though what they did have was very interesting I wanted to see Tut artifacts (imagine that, going to the Tut exhibit and actually wanting to see Tut! what was I thinking?)

#12 ·
~Thanks everyone for letting me rant. I do plan to write a letter to the museum. No one else leaving the exhibit seemed let-down or expressed disappointment and rage like I did so I don't think they'll take my comments seriously but I'm doing it anyway. It's less about the money for me(cheap as I am) and more about the presentation and deception about the exhibit and about the ridiculous amount of people they allowed to be packed into it at one time. Maybe another letter to a Fire Safety organization? That kind of crowd CAN'T be within fire codes!~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.