high fructose corn syrup
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default high fructose corn syrup

I've been noticing how high fructose corn syrup is in so much nowadays. A few months back I noticed Smuckers had high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup AND sugar! So does most every other brand out there. If you get the sugar free there is stuff in it that I can't even pronounce. SO I don;t want to be feeding my kids that either. I don't mind a little sugar added - you actually need some to sweeten up the strawberries but that's ridiculous! So, we ended up switching to Polaner. Only one store has it and it is a little pricier than the others but I think well worth it - it only has sugar added.
    Another product I was shocked to see has high fructose corn syrup was in Prego spaghetti sauce. We had used it for years. So now we found Franceso Rinaldi and that actually just has sugar and is less money!!
    Anybody else know any products that have a lot of unecessary sweeteners in them?
    Lisette

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The majority of pre-packaged products have those ingredients in them. I prefer to make as much as I can homemade (including spag. sauce and jellies). Then I know what goes in them and they taste much better IMO. It's super easy to make a big batch of spag. sauce and freeze it in portions or if you have a pressure canner just do it that way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That junk is in so many foods! It really is awful stuff. We avoid it, which means we don't eat many prepackaged foods at all. I had to learn to make crackers, because so many of them have hfcs, msg, or both in them. My dad is so allergic to hfcs, so my entire family tries to avoid it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We only buy Dannon "All Natural" yogurt. It is sweetened with sugar. I avoid all the artificial sweeteners, and all other brands of yogurt (that I have found, Yoplait, store brands,etc.) have high fructose corn syrup in them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I too try to steer clear of store bought food items and stick to the basics, homemade/homecooked but when I cant I try to read labels as much as I can. This is why I try not to eat out - you dont know what chemicals and preservatives are in things but you cant win 100%. That fructose-glucose schlep would kill me after a taste....I can be THAT sensitive to sugar

I do buy the jellies that are made with sweeteners but I have switched to all natural peanut butter and found a brand that is actually tasty! Also I have found fat free/sugar free yoghurt as well - all for health reasons (diabetic).

I buy whole wheat pasta and breads vs the enriched white flour kind (usually on sale all the time) I do buy bottled spag sauce but Ive been experimenting with homemade versions of tomato sauces....Im learning....and thats a start in my books!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is a link to an audio w/transcript that has a great explanation of why high fructose corn syrup is so bad for us.

Scroll down to the July 9th episode: The obesity epidemic

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/healthreport/default.htm

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've been reading up on this stuff lately. In a nutshell, it sounds like sugar or honey are the safest of the sweeteners (much as that goes against my Splenda-loving nature to say). I'm beginning to be a firm believer in 2 principles: 1) natural is better, and 2) all things in moderation. Since much of my "dieting" has only to do with weight, as opposed to diabetes or allergies, the right answer for me is to not eat too much of the things that add up and don't provide much in the way of nutrients. Dessert foods are no longer a daily item, fresh fruits and veggies can work for a sweet touch. Don't use much in the way of jams/syrups, and watch labels on prepared foods (Hunt's canned spag. sauce is lower in sugars than most - and you can't just look for the HFCS, look for the sugars in grams).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have been watching our HFCS intake since the beginning of the year. We have eliminated a lot of stuff from our diet.
    I have found a lot of the breads have HFCS in them so I have switched to making my own breads. I have found some english muffins that do not have HFCS in them so I have been buying them at $3 a pack. But today I told myself that I was going to try and make english muffins myself. I did and they are great and so easy to make. So I will no longer be buying them again.
    Debra
    Married to Michael
    Mom to
    Chassidy 26
    Tanner 21
    Johanna 17