Anyone interested in the Great Depression Era - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The great depression is my favorite period in history, I find it facinating how people coped and the fact that so many had hope and joy even when things were so hard. PBS had a couple of series that I saw that were excellent. Both were a part of the The American experience series "riding the rails" and "surviving the dust bowl"and I think one actually titled "the great depression"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My grandmother was born in 1906 and she used to tell me about the great depression. I was very small and don't remember much of what she said except that they ate popcorn every night for dinner.

This is a period of history I plan on covering while homeschooling and I am interested to learn more myself!

Registered User PoorRichardsGirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been a lurker on this thread because I'm interested, but had no better suggestions.

Yesterday I found "We had everything but money" for $4 at a used book store. If I hadn't read about the title here, it wouldn't have jumped out at me from the shelf! Yay for Frugal Villagers!

Read the whole thing last night; it was VERY good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

the walton feed site has interesting info.

my MIL and FIL, who were children/teenagers during the depression are still alive, and "there", and i pick their brain when i visit. they don't go to the stores, shop carefully and save, save, save. they taught my hubby some skills like making furniture, reusing and keeping things lke screws, and good money management. they put five children through out of state advanced degrees by paying cash.

sometimes the hoarding can become dysfunctional. like eating food that should be tossed, or having a basement full of junkola that need to be cleared out.

i was the one who needed to learn from them becuase my parents were 60 generation and had affluenza and taught it to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

both my parents were born during the depression. It's funny my father once told me he didnt realize how poor he was because so was everyone else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just got one from the library called "Aunt Sammy's Radio Recipies, The Great Depression Cook Book"

It's very good. This copy is a reprint of the original which was given out free during the Great Depression. Aunt Sammy was supposed to be the female counterpart to Uncle Sam. The introduction has some interesting bits about the history of radio and the Great Depression, but you do have to wade through some rather amusing 70's feminist prostelitizing <sp?>

The recipies are great though. Super thrifty. I checked Abe.com and it can be had for under $10. The originals are still out there too and fairly inexpensive. If you go for an original copy be aware that there are two editions. One from 1927 and the "Revised". You want the revised. It was published at the height of the Depression and has the best frugal recipies.

Christine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12