I got the Pell Grant!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I got the Pell Grant!

I received my award letter today! The grant will be enough to pay my tuition and books, and maybe a couple hundred dollars left over. I am so happy! I have put off going to college for a LONG time, because I never thought we could afford for me to go. I will be a 45 year old freshman.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CONGRATS! Is a Pell Grant and Grant that you dont have to pay back? How did you apply for it? What did you have to do? I would love to go back to school or just go to college but dont know where to start

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WoooHooo!!! Yeah for you! WTG!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations!! That's wonderful!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

a grant is something you don't have to pay back. A lot of times you can get the Pell and you can get a state grant also. When I was a single mom and going to school, they basically paid me to go to school. you have to fill out a FAFSA in order to get student aid. Now I know in NY state in order to get TAP you had to apply before May 15, but with the federal grant there is no time limit.
    If you would like to go back call a local college for an app. My community college charged a $25 app fee, but there was a way that you could not pay it (not sure on this - I just paid it). Most community colleges accept everyone, no matter what grades and even if you didn't take the SATs in high school. I would also suggest that you fill out a FAFSA. You can do this online though you will need to apply for a pin and this takes a few days. http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ I don't know what your income is, but you can still make quite a bit and get aid. I made about $15,000 a year with just me and my son and they paid for it all - tution, books, fees, and then I also had some leftover that I usually put on my bills so I was a head. I would suggest going back to school for anyone who is thinking about it. Not only does it improve your job opportunities, it also improves the brain!
    Lisette

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by i.m.cheap View Post
    I received my award letter today! The grant will be enough to pay my tuition and books, and maybe a couple hundred dollars left over. I am so happy! I have put off going to college for a LONG time, because I never thought we could afford for me to go. I will be a 45 year old freshman.
    Congratulations!!! That is great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalMomof3 View Post
    CONGRATS! Is a Pell Grant and Grant that you dont have to pay back? How did you apply for it? What did you have to do? I would love to go back to school or just go to college but dont know where to start
    Tracy, here is another link with some info on Pell Grants. Hope it helps!!!http://www.ed.gov/programs/fpg/index.html

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A Pell Grant is NOT A LOAN. It does not have to be paid back. I do have to be enrolled in at least 12 hours a semester, and maintain a minimum GPA.

The first thing you have to do is fill out a FASFA online. You can google it. It is the Free Application for Student Financial Aid. Unfortunately July 20 was the deadline for the 2007-2008 school year. There is always next year! You have to apply each year you need aid.

After I filled out the FASFA, I went to the community college and spoke with an adviser. I had to take an ASSET placement test, since I never took the SAT or ACT. I scored very well on the test. I also was required to get a final transcript of my GED test scores (or your high school transcript, if you graduated high school). After filing the FASFA on-line, I received an email from the college that additional paper work was required, like last year's tax return, copies of our 2006 W-2's, and some other forms I had to print from the college's website, fill out, sign and return. It was all pretty easy, but then I alway do my own taxes, so forms don't scare me!

It only took about ten days after I turned everything in to receive my award letter. The money goes directly to the school, and is applied to my tuition and books. Anything left over is "disbursed" in the form of a check to me in late September. My DH also has a Pell grant. I am SO THANKFUL, because as many of you know, we are pretty low-income. My DH is a cook (and full-time student), and I am a former waitress, sidelined by carpal tunnel syndrome. I hope to be teaching History and Government in a high school when I finish my degree. I may go on to get a Master's so I can teach at the community college. You can not get a Pell grant for a Master's degree, it is only for undergraduates. The Master's will probably by financed with student loans or paid for in cash (because I will have a decent job by then).

If you ever wanted to go to college, but have not, or never finished, I urge you to fill out a FASFA. They do give the awards based on financial need, and you do need to declare a course of study (the degree you hope to obtain). Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats!

I have been going to school on Pell Grants, state grants and scholarships. I usually get my tuition paid and a few thousand to get me though the semester (livin' cheap.) I am a 39yo senior working on my BS in geology. I go to a state college. My W2 income is very low, under $10k. The grants and scholarships is not taxable income according the CPAs I've asked.

Last year I got over $7k after tuition was paid!

I learned a few things about finding money for college along the way. There is a lot of free money out there for the asking.

Make an appointment with the director of financial aid at your college and ask him/her what you can do to get the money you need for college. When I've done this they have almost always found me more money on the spot.

Apply for any and all scholarships you are even vaguely qualified for. Ask at fin. aid about scholarships. One person who works in financial aid told me to let them exclude you. See if you can find the faculty member/professor in your department who is on the scholarship committee and let them know you are interested in receiving scholarships. A good GPA helps a lot too.

I apply for many scholarships each year. I keep a computer file of the letters I write for these and change them a bit from year to year. Organize, organize!

Email your profs right now and ask them for the title and ISBN of the text books you will need for next semesters classes. Buy them online. campusbooks.com is a textbook searchengine. It's much cheaper. As you get to know fellow students you may be able to borrow or buy books from them.

Best of luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great news!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's awesome news! Congrats!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations!!!!

Surprisingly, the last two semesters I haven't gotten *any* federal grants (Pell) but the NY State Tuition Assistance Program has come through and paid nearly the whole thing.

Have you looked into state offered grants too? You can apply for and if eligible you can receive both. When I was a single mom, I got enough from state & federal grants to pay for my tuition & books and had several hundred leftover at the end of the semester. This allowed me to only work part-time during school semesters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have ALWAYS wanted to go into nursing but I apparently make "TOO" much for any type of grant. Nursing school is during the day and my job doesn't have flexibility in hours

Awesome news on the grants !!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

congratulations dear!!! Im so glad for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Im as so glade for you! I want to take a course in Phlybotamy but its only a 18 week course not a degree so I have no idea if I can get any financial aid for that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm thrilled for ya Deb!

~48 yr. old sahw, livin' it up in our empty nest, smack dab in the middle of everywhere.~

*We're debt freeeeeeeee! (including the house)*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast