I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't be so depressed about not owning a house..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't be so depressed about not owning a house..

I've been thinking about this for over a week now...We live in a 1998 14x80 mobile home..I've been really depressed over not owning a house for at least 4 years now..We just can't afford one in this area anyway..So anyhow I just realized that the total dept that we owe all together is around $22,000...we could pay that off within a year or less and be totally dept free..After reading about the possible resession and knowing that alot of people will sink because of it we are actually in really good shape! We won't have to worry like most people and heck maybe we can save enough to buy a house outright in another state..Or maybe invest large amounts of money and retire in our fifties?
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My parents downsized to a double wide in Yuma, AZ. Lemme tell you it's a very nice home. In AZ they have to be set in a way to where they are flush with the ground. They dig out the under area of the home for the plumbing etc. It's hard to explain.

Driving on the street you can't tell it's a manufactured home. Also, theirs was custom so it's a bit wider than the model and more roomy in the living and master rooms.

I used to inspect the floorplans of manufactured dealerships in Alabama. Some manufactured houses are nicer than a lot of site built homes.

You can feel the way you want to feel. A lot of times I wish my house had this or that, but we are living in our means and can save $ at the same time. You won't be in it forever and you can save up for what you want to be in or where you want to live for your future.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I live in a 43 yr. old, ready built home. It's not the same as a mobile home or even a modular home but it's not fancy at all. It's been in my family since it was built though, that's what makes it special to us. You absolutely are onto something in not being blue about not owning a house. Your's is your home and I honestly think that we as a society get way too hung up on our homes being more like an 'accessory' than being 'home'. I mean really, we should be able to make a home anywhere that our family is, right? I surely wouldn't want to be in the shoes of the folks who are about to lose their homes due to the ARM's that they really couldn't afford anyway.

~48 yr. old sahw, livin' it up in our empty nest, smack dab in the middle of everywhere.~

*We're debt freeeeeeeee! (including the house)*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think you're right about appreciating the fact that you have a home when so many people stand to lose theirs. You have a roof over your head and, as you said, can even be debt free in a short amount of time. It sounds like you're in a pretty good situation.
    I think Lisa hit the nail on the head when she wrote about houses being "accessories" to many people. Reading the "Cheapest person you know" thread about those grandparents and such who lived in $28 a month cottages and such and raised their families and had good lives, it really does make one realize that a home is a home because that is what we make it and if we have shelter that we don't have to worry about losing then we are more fortunate than many people in the world ,and even in this country, are.

--Michelle
    ~ Michelle

Wife to DH--
    Mom to DS--
    and DD--

Avatar picture of cactus flower in bloom taken southeast side of San Antonio-May, 2013
    Mortgage -- $36,472.81

----------------------
    "The time to save is now. When a dog gets a bone, he doesn't go out and make a down payment on a bigger bone. He buries the one he's got." --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I lived in a 1973 double wide for six years. Of course, it had a huge fireplace built in, and front and back porch built on, and a vaulted roof added, so the only thing "mobile" about it was the name. I still had to pay the $5 Mobile Home Sticker fee every year. LOL To move that home, you'd have to tear out the whole end that had the fireplace and take off the whole roof. Not to mention that it had no axles or wheels.

I loved that place. It was more like home than what I have now. I'd love to have another one on acreage again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I lived in a mobile home the first time I was maried. I actually enjoyed the trailer park, we had good neighbors and I think home is what you make it. I think it's great that you can appreciate it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Mobile home

I also live in a small 14 x 70 mobile home, i say small, with it just being me. Instead of three bedrooms i have a computer room and a pantry room basically. My home is paid for. I have to pay lot rent of 185. I do so want a small farmhouse but sometimes i think i could just buy the land nad move this and save myself years of payments. I would live on my front porch and in the garden area anyway. At least that is what i tell myself. Living in the capital city of alabama. I feel lucky that i am in a all owner no renters allowed mobile home. therefore there are lots of rules. which can sometimes be a hassle. But we dont have kids running the streets after 9. No garbage outside your home. Has to be taken to dumpster. Since everyone is owners, they keep thier home and yards up nicely. Is also one of the lowest crime rate areas in the city. and beleive me we have places here, you dont want to drive thru much less live.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brenda, if owning a home is a goal, you're gonna be in an excellent position very soon. No one can predict the market, but it's pretty obvious it won't be good for at least a few years. By the time you're debt free and have some money saved for a down payment, prices may have come down even further. It will probably be such a buyer's market that you'll have a nice selection of homes to choose from. Sellers will be falling at your feet

We bought our first home in a similar market in 1996 (not as drastic, but similar). We got a great deal, and we're still here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikandmari View Post
    Brenda, if owning a home is a goal, you're gonna be in an excellent position very soon. No one can predict the market, but it's pretty obvious it won't be good for at least a few years. By the time you're debt free and have some money saved for a down payment, prices may have come down even further. It will probably be such a buyer's market that you'll have a nice selection of homes to choose from. Sellers will be falling at your feet

We bought our first home in a similar market in 1996 (not as drastic, but similar). We got a great deal, and we're still here.

Your absolutely right Mari.... Thanks for bringing a smile to my face!
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mikandmari View Post
    I second that! You are in a great position. A mobile home was actually my first choice, because it would have allowed us to build debt free or nearly so in the hopefully near future. But, sometimes dh & I don't have the same ideas, so we are in debt and I do worry about it as his company is on shaky ground. Being in debt goes so against everything I believe. I think you are doing good to be in the position you are. I also think of all the money we are wasting in interest. Makes me want to barf!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brenda my DH had cancer a couple of years ago. If any thing had happened the plan was for me to sell my house and buy a moblie home. I could then afford to care for him.
    My brother lived in mobile home with 3 kids while saving for his house. He lived in a small park and knew all his neighbors, and really did like it there. He now plays with the idea of selling his house, and returning to the park when he retires.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brenda, I know exactly how you feel. I'm 29 years old, had good paying jobs ever since I graduated college, DH and I make over $100K/yr and we still rent an apartment instead of owning a house. So many times I get depressed that we seem to be doing well, so why can't we buy a house? Actually, I get hung up on it A LOT.

We're hoping that by the time we have a down payment saved up, house prices will be way lower and we'll be in a good position to buy. We're in central MA, and most of the houses around here that we'd be interested in are around $250K. We're trying to save up a 50K down payment - and we figure it will be 2010 before we buy a house. And that seems a LONG way off! I try and remind myself that we'll actually put down 20%, have no PMI and some actual equity - but there are still a lot of days when I'm really upset about not having a house yet, especially when all of my friends, family, and co-workers do. I feel like such a loser!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think about owning a home too. I am 29 and I don't know anyone around my age who can afford a house yet. I could afford a mortgage, but I worry about the cost of maintaining a house. We are renting an apt. with everything but electric included in the rent. Our fridge died this summer and the apt. complex replaced it with a brand new one. I know we couldn't have paid for that if we had our own house and our fridge died. We don't have much extra $ saved.

We also hope to move from the area we are living once my fiance has his PhD. I think renting or living somewhere you can afford is
    a smart thing to do. I would not be able to sleep very well at night if I was always worried about the cost of a house right now. I am hopeful that within several years when I am ready to own a house, the price of housing will come down a little.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brenda since we sold ours 2 years ago, i keep thinking I will never probably own unless a miracle comes round or that perfect job outwest. But right now Im glad were renting because its cheaper to own then put ourselfs in debt that we cant afford. Do it when you can dear, never rush. U can still have the dream and goals to get there , just may take alittle longer.
    hhuggsss

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank you everybody for your input and support..(((HUGS))
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast