Do you like where you live?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Do you like where you live?

day three of ?'s (trying to think of ?'s that will allow us to get to really know each other better, see where each of us have been, why we think like we do etc) So
    Do you like where you live?
    I was raised Tx'n all my life; left for the military right out of high school and I married military for 15 yrs (remember divorced). During that marriage I of course traveled and lived in a few different places.
    1. raisd in Texas of course I loved it, it was what I knew as home
    2. Colorado LOVED it, omg'sh it was so beautiful
    3. The country Turkey I hated and loved it..hated it while I was there (women are nothing there) but loved the experience mostly due to the fact I will probably never get to travel abroad again and it truley made military families pull together I made some awsome friends there.
    4. North Dakota I so did not like living there at all (if you from there I'm sorry pls remember I'm not acustom to all the cold weather). For me personally it was the most miserable experience. I started snowing end of Sept and didn't stop till end of June. There was nothing to do there either (Minot).
    5. Utah ok you that live in Utah I love your state (well I was in the Salt Lake area) it was so beautiful there I loved the mountains in every window. I would probably given the chance lived there forever (other than it housing was expensive Whooaa)
    6. I'm now in Missouri and am here to stay (my parents moved here 10 yrs ago and I'm close to them so I want to live close esp since they are getting older) Missouri is ok if I want to do something I have to travel an hour but pretty much unless it's like 2 am there's something open to do pretty late or early. The cost of living is fair enough (though the pay of course matches that). I like that most ppl are just humble farmer types that would help a stranger even. I guess I'm in the middle of the road for where I live now it's got it's good and it's bad. It fits me, I like life humble and stress free as possible and not the hussle and bussle of the BIG city. Now to end; my Grandma passed in '01 and it had been the first time I had been back in Tx in 10 yrs and I don't think I would like to live there again Holly Moley I didn't realize how miserable our weather was till I was taken out of it and put back Good Gawd it was hot and the humitity was insane.

So where you live do you like it?, have you always lived there? or been able to live in different places? what did you like or dislike about each place? are you a country girl stuck in the big city? or visa versa?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do like where I live. I have lived here my entire life! All 43 years. I lived with my parents until I was 20 and married for the first time. We moved right next door to my parents. We got divorced 8 years later and I of course stayed in our home. I remarried 2 years later and moved across town to my new DH's home. We rented mine out. A few years down the road we sold his and moved to mine. And finally we built our own home together 4 years ago right behind the one I had to begin with. So... I've moved a few times, but never actually left my home town!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love the town I live in, learning to like the house (but realized I am totally blessed to have it!). We live in a small (but growing) town in the middle of the snowbelt in Northeast Ohio. We are far enough away from the business of town but close enough I can be there in 8 minutes or less. We have enough yard for the kids to play in, me to garden, and dh to have a large barn. Neighbors are nice, we're close to both sets of parents. Ihave traveled all around the midwest & some east coast. I haven't traveled out of the US, except Niagra Falls & Toronto, not a big traveler, so I don't know what I'm missing, but not upset about it either. Great questions! i love creating pictures of everyone with these get to know you questions.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well Tammy, I can honestly say that I LOVE where we live now and we have lived here for 14 years. It is in a small town in Oklahoma about 75 minutes from Dallas, Texas or Oklahoma City, OK. I love that we are raising our daughter in a town where we know a lot of people and that she will always be in a school about 5 minutes away from the house. Our housing here is affordable and our pay is fine.

Where I come from: Houston, Texas and would I EVER move back.....the answer is NO WAY. My parents still live there, though they have now bought a house right around the corner from us (still deciding when they want to retire), and when we have to go back I HATE it. I hate everything about it...the busy-ness (is that even a word!?!?), the traffic, the weather, the EVERYTHING. It now makes me a nervous wreck to be in the BIG city!

My dh and I have also lived in California (for about 6 years) when he was in the Air Force and for a couple of years after he got out. LOVED it there - the town we lived in, the weather, the area we lived in because you could get to the beach, the mountains, the snow, etc. very easily. HATED the housing prices. We decided we would never stay in California just because of the expense of things.

It took me awhile (honestly I didn't know if I ever would) to slow down to the pace of this small town after coming from the Big City but now I wouldn't change it for anything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

On the whole, I'm fairly neutral about places. I grew up in Ft. Worth, TX. My first foray into graduate school was at Fordham in NY and I have to say, NY is the only place I have ever really disliked. I didn't like where I lived, the people I lived with (also pretty unusual), the school, the city. Ugh. Then I went to Toronto for four years. I enjoyed living there, but really saw little of it. I'm not a sightseer by any means, but I loved passing the planetarium on my way to school - I popped in when shows changed, and one year treated myself to a night performance of the royal horse show. Spectacular! I also loved the snow - but I didn't have a car and someone else did all the sidewalk shoveling where I lived. Then back to TX: Irving (outside of Dallas), Ft. Worth again, then on to Shreveport, Alexandria (Louisiana) and back to Shreveport.

Shreveport is, for me, an OK place to live. It probably wouldn't be anyone's first choice, but it probably wouldn't be the last either. Heck, IMO it sure beats New Orleans! The cost of living is pretty low, and I've settled into the place. Home can be pretty much anywhere for me. (Just please, not NY City!)
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I grew up in northeastern MD and hated every minute of it. In retrospect that was mostly because I was a kid and I just wanted to get as far away from my immediate family as possible. Today I still hate part of the area in which I grew up (very dumb-as-a-stump, living room couch on your front porch, merry your cousin-ish), however, there are areas that are nice where I wouldn't mind living. I particularly wish now that I had pushed DH to buy my grandparents' farm instead of moving to suburbia.

For a short time in my late teens my family moved to Greencastle PA and I LOVED it there. I, again, just wanted to get away from my family so I moved back home within a short time but I really, really loved the place. Plenty of land and wide open spaces, almost endless country roads, Amish livestock auctions, tiny town with only a few local stores (no mega box stores). A person could breathe there.

For the last 10 yrs. (since I got married) I've lived in northern DE, right over the line from my hometown in MD. It's a college town with little else going for it, in my opinion. DH, however, thinks it's the best place in the world to live (with the exception of it not being summer all year round). I will admit that we're close enough to some major metro areas (Philly, Baltimore on the inside and D.C. and New York on the outside) which can be nice for entertainment purposes but all in all, I could do without it. I like that we can get pretty much anywhere in the state within 2 hrs. or so. I would still much, MUCH rather live somewhere with countryside and wide open spaces though. We live in a neighborhood right now on 1/2 acre (that's actually a HUGE amount of land as far as neighborhoods go here) but that's just too cramped for me. I grew up on a farm for most of my childhood so me and this suburban thing just doesn't mesh well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live about a mile outside of a small (population 1000?) town. It's got a library, a post office, a gas station and a plumber. What more do you need? LOL I've lived in Indianapolis (more big city than you'd think though not like the coasts of course) and London. We visited Denver often when dh's family lived there. I can't imagine living anywhere else. I know most people and they know me and my kids. They can't get away with anything. A city would be ok without kids, but I can't imagine raising mine there.
    Mom to Emma, Spencer, Connor, Lily,Fletcher, Amelia and Adeline.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Where I Live

I love where I live.....in Mississippi. We are near a college town with a very diverse population. The cost of living is less than many areas of the country. Our neighbors (grew up in Chicago area) state they could not have afforded their home in Ill....
    We have traveled to several areas, west coast to east and attended a football game in Michigan. I have also attended conferences/workshops in many areas such as Indiana and Orlando. I am always ready to return to Mississippi because of the people and the somewhat slower lifestyle. The downside is the humidity. I traveled to Phoenix last May and June and admit that the weather was the best......our state gets a lot of bad press that is undeserving....................
    nurseliz

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We now live in a place where we won't live long enough to stop to being "outsiders" -- so no, I really don't care for it here. But the economy is booming compared to other parts of the country sp we'll stay till hubby retires. Then we will move to place more to our liking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    My first foray into graduate school was at Fordham in NY and I have to say, NY is the only place I have ever really disliked. (Just please, not NY City!)
    LOL.....
    I'm originally from NY (Long Island to be exact) and miss it dreadfully sometimes even after being gone for 15 years. Even growing up I said I would never want to live in The City. Suffolk County Long Island was different though (especially the Suffolk/Nassau county border area. It was suburban enough with a nice rural end if you went one direction and close to the city life (the other direction). There were beaches and waves for the summer and plenty of snow in the winter. *sigh* I'm longing for it as I type. Here's a link to somebody's website with wonderful pictures that I smile at when homesick.

http://www.pbase.com/alidasphotos/long_island ....Hope that works.
    I miss the people I grew up with too. I think sometimes the bonds you form when you are young can never be replaced.

Currently I live in Northern Kentucky. When I'm not homesick I like it here as well. The slower pace of life is soothing most times. I love my house that we are working on paying off. In NY we'd probably be living in a teeny apartment. I like the possibility of getting a big piece of property and some horses someday. The cost of living is great, the people are nice, the weather is middle of the road. All in all it's a nice place to live and I see how others could LOVE it. Like a nice guy you know is a good catch though that you just don't feel "it" for I'm not in love with it and could be talked into trying somewhere else pretty easily.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have lived in westwrn NY my whole life, and I can't think of any place I would rather live. Although I am not much of a traveler so I don't have a lot to compare it to. I like having 4 seasons and fall is my favotite, so that makes NY a perfect fit. There is so much to do, and so many great places to visit within a couple hours drive, there is always something to do. I know the winters are a little rough but you learn to live with them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've lived in NY most of my life. Raised in the same Village hubby & I started our family at & stayed 9 years. Moved to the pic below 15 years ago. We like it here except for taxes, the threat of flooding and are toying with the idea of moving when dh retires (soon) so we can live in a place where we can see forever & watch sunrises & sunsets. I get ants in my pants sometimes about change, just itching for something new.

Oh also spent 2years in California & almost 1 in Baton Rouge LA as a teen. Liked the weather in Ca but not the muggy buggy LA.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered User duckduckgoose007's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have lived in upstate NY my whole life. That would be 73 yrs!!! If I could change, I would live 6 mo. in Florida & 6 mo. here.
    Problem...my Hubby is not a fan of Florida at all: [All the OLD PEOPLE live there] that's his attitude, so here I will stay...Liz

Registered User wanderinggrandma's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Liz, my DH would LOVE to live 6 months in South Florida, 6 months in Oregon (home)! Not me. I agree with your husband, but would add impatient, self-center and rude to the list. I think a lot of it is cultural, but I'm from the Pacific Northwest and love it here.

I grew up in Portland, Oregon and have lived in a small town in the Columbia River Gorge for almost 30 years. It is a beautiful scenic place to live and raise a family. My only complaint is the harsh winters. BUT after reading some of the weather posts here I should just count my blessing and stop complaining about the wind and ice.

I have DD in Philly, DD in Friendswood, TX and DD in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. They all have good things about them (besides DD,DSIL and DGBabies) and I love to see the areas for a few weeks, but the Pacific NW is home for this web-foot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As they say in the musical Rent, "New York City ... center of the universe."

I LOVE IT HERE. It's intoxicating, addicting. The energy is crazy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast