Libby's 2012 Goal - To turn her home, into a *real* home
Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking Libby's 2012 Goal - To turn her home, into a *real* home

After reading a few new threads started by others with regards to goals for 2012...it got me thinking about what I really want to achieve by this time next year. I have been thinking about it for some time now but have decided to list it here to help make me accountable throughout the year. My goals are simplistic and home organization based.

My 2012 goal is to make my current home an organized home. Not a 'make shift' home. I want it to be set up the way *WE* want and not just live in it accepting that this is "how" it is and work around it. I want it to feel like the home that *WE* want to live in. (Does that make sense?)

#1 - rid the basement of 'boxes of stuff' as in sort through the boxes and either donate or toss into the garbage

#2 - get the bedroom set up the way it should be - free of clutter, clothes in the dressers and no boxes of 'stuff' lurking

#3 - get the office sorted & purged so we can use it more often (hopefully daily)

#4 - get the long hallway sorted out - its a dumping ground as other areas of the basement were set up for DH & I. There's tons of random dad stuff that he just 'shoved into a closet'

#5 - get the 2nd floor of the garage sorted, purged and organized. Its another dumping ground of 'stuff' that we didn't know what to do with. Do we really need a rusted mesh strainer, old plastic drinking cups etc?

#6 - lastly - not home organization based - get a substantial 'nest egg' started (not EF)

I have dubbed 2012, the year of the purge!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, I DO know what you mean!!! This is what I want for our home too. I am so tired of boxes of stuff lining the walls and our bedroom being a storage room. I'm tired of the basement storage room just having a tiny path to weave through between the boxes and not knowing where anything is when I need it. I'm tired of the stacks of papers on my desk and losing important ones. Yes I know how you feel!! This is my top wish on the Twenty Wishes thread..declutter the house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of my goals also. I have started in the basement this week.
    We have so much junk. It's time for it to go!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

in hope to get the attic and basement cleaned out !
    *~Debbi~*
    Happily Married Mom to 5 ; PT Home Care RN
    Living with FMS

“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more;
    Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”
    Swedish Proverb

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Getting Gazelle like 7/1/10
    Paid off 6 CC's totalling $6807 in 2010
    Paid off car 9000
    Quit 2nd Job for health reasons so going slower .
    purchased used car in cash 5000
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Year of the Purge

LOL LIBBY I love this. I think this is an awesome lable for 2012. I think it is a well deserved title for the year. And something that needs to be done badly at our home too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Uniwolf. The way I see it, We need to eat through the deep freezer in order to be able to defrost it. We need to eat through the basement pantry (2nd stockpile purposely kept away from dad) so I can get that shelving unit back to be used elsewhere. And I just want boxes gone. Period.

In order to do that, we must start using up/living off of our stockpiles and stop bringing in more right? And in order to rid of the boxes, everything *must* go. Time. To. Purge.

I think its time that DH & I take over the basement and turn it from a mish mash of 'the house that was before he moved in' and turn it into *our* home since we're going to be staying here long term. I *want* to be able to have people over w/o being embarrassed by all of our 'stuff'. The year 2012 seems like we're going to be hosting plenty of guests throughout the year. We need to make it presentable and more welcoming.

I should post before and after pics but I'm too embarrassed!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Best of luck, Libby

This is what I'm doing too. I've already cleared out loads of unnecessary nonsense from the spare room that migrated with us during the last move, but there's lots of clutter still lurking and a closet that is a little overwhelming.

This year I want to make the house more homely and presentable, starting with painting the bedrooms. There's so much to do and since it's rented accommodation we are somewhat restricted in what we can improve on (I'd love to rip out the bathroom entirely ), but the idea is to make the very most of what we've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post

I should post before and after pics but I'm too embarrassed!
    Same here. I was thinking of putting up before and after photos of the bedrooms, but frankly I've had to tidy the bedroom before beginning to decorate out of sheer embarrassment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just wanted to lend my support. You guys CAN do this! I moved this summer, after ten years in the same house. Boxes of STUFF were EVERYWHERE. I used the move as an opportunity to PURGE big, big, BIG time. I moved into my new home with ONLY the barest minimum of what I needed to survive there. I can't tell you the peace of mind you have with all that stuff out of your life. It's HUGE! I don't miss my stuff at all! We have a new rule that if something new comes in that's not a consumable, something old must go for it to be allowed to live there. That's been working well. Good luck with your purges and embracing a more minimalistic way of life. I wish you all the best!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by OOwl View Post
    Just wanted to lend my support. You guys CAN do this! I moved this summer, after ten years in the same house. Boxes of STUFF were EVERYWHERE. I used the move as an opportunity to PURGE big, big, BIG time. I moved into my new home with ONLY the barest minimum of what I needed to survive there. I can't tell you the peace of mind you have with all that stuff out of your life. It's HUGE! I don't miss my stuff at all! We have a new rule that if something new comes in that's not a consumable, something old must go for it to be allowed to live there. That's been working well. Good luck with your purges and embracing a more minimalistic way of life. I wish you all the best!
    OOwl - I am soooo envious! WTG for you! I hope to be in that spot next year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OOwl View Post
    Awesome - that must have been very cathartic. Hard work too, I'm sure . Nothing quite like a massive purge of all the extra bits and bobs that accumulate over the years. It's weird how you look at some items and think, 'Why did I let this stay in my house for so long?!' Once something has been in the same place for a long time I can forget that it's not meant to be there

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, I totally know what you mean Libby....that is also my plan for this coming year. I mean seriously, my husband's office could be on Hoarders. (LOL) I am sick of walking around stuff or tripping over some pile and picking up odds n ends...you get it. This has been in the back of my mind for the past 2 months.

Good luck in yours and everyone elses Goals for this year!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's taken me a year and I -still- can't get this place organized. We don't have a huge house, either. I'm not sure if purging two trucks worth of stuff before we moved was enough. But I do know that the organizational part of it all is tiresome.

We managed to get all of the boxes and such out of the bedrooms. My problem is the laundry baskets that sit in our main bedroom. The kids' bedrooms are pretty much done.

The only problematic rooms in the house tend to be the living room (because we spend a lot of time in it) and the storage room. We just got that new dryer and it sits in the family room for the time being because we just don't have the room to put it in the laundry room.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmm...DH had purchased heavy duty plastic shelving units for his place and well they're as flat packed as they can be () sitting in the garage. If I can have my way....I'd like to set one up in the back 'guest' room/walkway to the back deck. There's a corner with stuff in its original boxes stacked on top of each other. I know there's serving dishes, my salad spinner and a few other gadgets dad hasn't decided to keep or purge but having them on the shelf would definitely make it easier to access.

Maybe I'll ask DH to dig them out and set them up for me this weekend

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Update:

DH & I have cleared off the futon of misc bed linens and extra pillows. The futon now looks like a place to sit aka a futon We've also removed the boxes of stuff from in front of it. Some were placed in another area to be sorted through properly and some were sorted and purged asap.

We've also set up a side table in the hallway and it has now become our 'beverage station'. It houses a tray with a pitcher and glasses as well as our Brita pitcher. We used to store this tray on top of our bar fridge however we got a Keurig machine for Christmas which now sits there instead. The K-cups are stored in the side table. All we need to do now is hang some pictures on the wall above the side table and that area is done!

We had guests over for NYE and thus had to clean up the lv rm. We went over board so all the clutter was removed from every surface. The coffee table had one candle on it, that's it. We also cleared off the entry way desk/table and used that as a buffet serving table. Put on a bright and cheery table cloth which still remains and I must say, it does look great

I feel so much relief knowing that the hallway has been cleared and I plan to keep it this way for as long as possible. The living room on the other hand still needs work. The floor to ceiling bookshelves still need a good sorting and purging - old books to be donated, knick knacks purged and the wood stove area needs to be sorted out altogether...that's DH's domain - its all his man stuff - tools, boxes for his gadgets etc...his area, I'm not allowed to clean there

So for it only being Jan 2nd, I think we've gone leaps and bounds. I hope to keep this momentum going and see how much more 'homey' we can make our home

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in Libby!

Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast