I have a really huge goal/dream!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I have a really huge goal/dream!

OK wish me luck! 1st let me say dh's pay will be down about 10K this year due to his work being very tied into housing unless something drastically changes in Nov and DEC. Very unlikely as he is starting his slow time but you never know what blessings may come. We are very grateful to be debt free but the house! If we were not we would really be struggling instead of feeling a little pinch~! I expect our income this year to be down to around 42-44K due to the slowdown this year. My wish is a tall order is tall on this income.

Ds needs braces. I am currently saving $50 a week. I have about 1000 in there I believe. We really don't do any other regular savings long term besides dh's 401K. We do add to an account for upcoming expenses like ins etc but we have not been increasing the EF etc which is at 3 months for a bare bones budget.

We need to replace out roof in the next year or two(6K). We need to finish our flooring and steps. (maybe 900 tops)

WE WANT TO TAKE THE KIDS FOR AN OVERSEAS VACATION!!! In the next year or two. Before they are too old and don't want to vacation with us. I know this is a big dream Dh has been overseas and after seeing the pictures I have always wanted to go.

Now obviously with our income significantly down and needing braces and a roof it's not looking good is it?

We are expecting to throw a 40th anniversary party for Dh's folks in 2009 which will most likely be mostly paid for by us. Its in Winter so a hall will need to be rented.

I want to find a way to make this happen!!!

Dh loves to go out to eat. I can cut that to 1 family outing and 1 date outing monthly without him going AWOL. However that also means I'll have to cut my outings with my girlfriends or mom back to 1 time a month also. (sigh!!!!!)

Dh refuses to cut high speed Internet or satellite TV or satellite radio. We went years without while we paid of our 46K in debt. I won't push. I will call and see if we can get a better rate for our phone service and maybe a tad slower DSL for less than the 95 we pay now.

So this leaves being lots more frugal and or me working more than my very part-time (which dh is also opposed too).
    With rising prices it is getting tougher to be frugal but I'm really going to concentrate!

In the end if we can hnot afford an overseas vacation for four a Western vacation is second on the list! Regardless of what happens we are still better off for trying.
    Wish me luck

I'm going to try journaling this experience on my journal on this site. Feel free to stop in and give advice I'm shooting for journaling it a few times a week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's a big goal, but definitely worth it. Good luck!
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It sounds like you have a great plan in place. I know you can do it . Sending lots of good luck vibes and positive energies your way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wish you lots of luck, it sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to do with your saved money. I hope all your goals come true .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you have a good plan and know exactly where the money should go to. Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh wants this big vaca, now is the time for him to sacrifice for his dream. Dh's parents party also another thing he needs to sacrifice for. His dd, the roof....I understand cranky hubbys but all these things you are saving for are for people he loves, time to just dig deep. Cut back on tv and eating out Mr. Nodmicks, it's for the good of the family. Wishing you all well!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you've thought this all out -- and if you had $46k in debt that you paid off, then I think you can pull this off too. I'll be pulling for you.
    Jen

33 yr old DD
    1.5 yr old Grandson
    3 kitties

Long term goals:
    Continue to follow a modified Dave Ramsey plan to pay off debt. Progress has been made, but there is much to do...
    Balances January 1, 2011 -----------------June 10, 2011------------------Jan 2014
    Citimortgage on home: $104,500-------- $102,775----------------- $94,520.33
    BofA Mtg on Rental: $27,000------------ $26,000(Est)--------$18,200
    HSBC Equity Line on Rental: $11,900------ $9,902--------------------$8,900
    Citibank car loan: $13,830 -------------- $11,663-------------PAID OFF!!
    Cornerstone car loan: $11,600------- PAID OFF!!
    Student Loan: $1,500------------------ $320----------PAID OFF!!
    Credit card: $1,200-------------------- $1,200--------PAID OFF!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone! It's a big goal but I think we can do it by 2009. Especially if the homebuilding and economy perk up and get dh's pay back where it was.

Darlene yep I agree on the party 100%. The overseas vacation is more my wish than his as he has already been there. I absolutely will never win with the satellite. That 1 I guarantee. The rest~ we will see.
    I just looked at current check stubs and I think I underestimated income a bit but that is ok.

Thanks for the support!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good luck Mick! Looks like a plan. I have some ideas, but I'll check your journal to see where you're at first. I think keeping hubby happy is very important.

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Good luck Mick! Looks like a plan. I have some ideas, but I'll check your journal to see where you're at first. I think keeping hubby happy is very important.

Jean

Please do Jean! I could use all the ideas I can get!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish you lots of luck but I am sure things will work out just as you planned if you keep my mind into it and cut out all uneeded things (such as the eating out)... Believe me once you set your mind to do something, everything else comes soooo easy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It is a big goal, but its worth it!

As for internet/satellite/etc.......I dont know who your provider is but I do know some companies (Time warner, comcast, adelphia) offer a deal.....high speed net, cable, and phone for 33 dollars each, as a package. Its not a bad deal if you consider what it cost seperatley. I dont know how much sattelite is but Im betting the three together are more than that....

Eating out.......save up MyPoints and use the gift cards available for redemption.....let DH know that youre doing that, and also if it is a large goal for him to go on the vacay, let him know things have to be shaved on the budget to do it! (also if you shop online for anything at all, try to do it through MyPoints, more points, better deals, plus the redemption value!)

Often time dentists will allow payment plans for orthodontics, check in to that too.

As for over seas, check with various travel agents, seek out hostels or package deals, so much info is available on the internet, especially packages through different sites.

I say go for it!!!!! Good Luck to you!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good for you! I think having firm goals in mind makes it easier to scrimp!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tracy~ very true! All things are possible!

Justmegan~ we are really rural and only get 1 choice of phone company high speed here. I really envy all the choices in the city 30 miles away. It looks like my phone co bundles with dish network(we have direct tv) and that might save a bit.
    We will pay all the ortho up front. I know we are odd but after paying off 46K in debt we vowed to never debt again. I will pay the bill in full with the discover cards for the points and pay it off as soon as the bill comes. If we don't have all the $ ds's braces will wait a few months

I've been investigating a bit on the price of a trip. I honestly have gotten a tad overwhlmed. I should go see the AAA agent.

Great idea on the mypoints! I will definately do that!!!!

Thanks for all the ideas!!

I had to giggle and then sigh. A big goal is set and guess what happens? Dh gets sent home after 1/2 a days work. The slow season is started. However a few pro-active things. I got 1/2 the windows plastic up. I hung a load of clothes (brrr) and I'm trying an experiment with salmon patties since dh caught lots of salmon and no one likes it. Oh I inventoried the freezer too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How about Salmon Chowder? Or Salmon Spy Rolls (salmon wrapped up in biscuit dough with vegies and mayo/sour cream)? I can give you recipes if you like. My kids loved salmon in the spy rolls or in a salmon loaf...as long as it came with hot mustard sauce. They'd devour salmon to get to the sauce!LOL

Jean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast