Questions for all the vegetarians - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Chris W: I love vegetarian times magazine! Subscribe to their email letter too...they give great recipes.
    Wife to DH
    Proud Mom to my Black Belt DS Woo-Hoo
    DS
    Kitty Mommy to Buttons

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    Alec Baldwin is famous for that "Meet your Meat' video..But there are other videos. Tons became vegheads from these. lol

Yeah, I never understand why we really need to eat animals when it has nothing to do with survival...but you gotta understand that it is our culture. Only education can change this way of thinking..

Warning...not for the weak, but the strong...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIjanhKqVC4[/media]

And yes this is pretty standard here....

Now I always heard about sprouting but didn't really know much about how to do it. Help me...

Thanks for the clip and I did watch all of it. At certain points during the video, I had my finger in my ears and my eyes were shut. I think I'm just about done with meat. It's been a week since I haven't had any meat and I'm not really missing it that much. Thanks so much for everyone that has enlightened me on this subject.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by cheriede View Post
    Thanks for the clip and I did watch all of it. At certain points during the video, I had my finger in my ears and my eyes were shut. I think I'm just about done with meat. It's been a week since I haven't had any meat and I'm not really missing it that much. Thanks so much for everyone that has enlightened me on this subject.
    It's pretty easy to give up meat when the reality sets in. Glad you did watch it though. You are welcome and you are on great start!

Now check out Earthlings. It's a little deeper..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhxKnys7Ryw[/media]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will be no help I'm sure. I was raised vegetarian. I don't think I ate any meat until I was 6 when we moved to the U.S. and by the time I was 9 I decided it was all gross. Even when I ate meat it was chicken, turkey, bologna. Never liked beef or ham.

I started eating chicken again when I was 21 but rarely do it now, only when I'm out of other options usually. Every so often I'll get a turkey sub somewhere because a sub with just their lettuce/tomato veggies doesn't seem substantial. I do like fish, crab, and lobster also, but rarely prepare these at home. So I follow a "largely vegetarian" diet. No red meat ever whatsoever. I just don't like the taste.

Growing up it was just hard to eat out. People in my small town didn't "get" that a 9 year old kid had chosen not to eat meat. When I lived in Portland it was absolutely no challenge. Nowadays it's not weird anymore anyway. Obviously as far as abstaining from it it's not an obstacle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

I am new to eating vegetarian (1 month) and am in the transition stage. I still eat dairy; eggs, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, etc.

I make very good meals amd am enjoying this lifestyle more than I can say. All my adult life I have played around with eating vegetarian but it seem so hard because of food combining. But its not hard at all. Last night I had a baked sweet potato topped with Amy's chili (with beans and tofu - no meat) salsa and sour cream. I also had a green salad with olive oil and a side of broccoli. I got so darn full . . . .

My reason for pursuing this lifestyle is for my health, its economical, its low impact on the planet, and its humane.

Try vegancoach. for great information. Dottie
    Last edited by Dotzz24; 08-04-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: clarification of the chili

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by cheriede View Post
    I am not vegetarian, but I am now considering it. How long have you been a vegetarian? Was there a particular reason why you became one? What is your biggest obstacle (if you have one)? Thanks.

Hello, Cheriede, I'm very new to Frugal Village, but not to vegetarianism.
    I started on my journey in 1980. By the end of 1981, I was fully lacto veg.
    Now, I'm all but vegan, and I like a fair amount of sprouts and other "raw cusine" items. I also eat a lot of local food.
    Reasons? they change year to year.
    I was a PITA idealist kid in 80, and I still pretty much am.
    I think we are abusing how we grow food, and how we raise animals.
    I'm also convinced that violence breeds more violence and to literally live on it is morally repugnant to me.
    But I don't dictate what others should put on their plate...aside from my table.

Biggest obstacle? Like an earlier poster said, I've heard all the jokes, and if I had a dime for every "how do you get your protien?" I'd own Aspen, Colorado, and Woody Creek, too.
    Travelling, perhaps.
    I can get something to eat but it could be dull.
    Many a Wendy's potato with brocoli and salsa has served for dinner on the road. If a plane gets it wrong and no vegan meal is on board, well, i'm not a huge peanut fan, but they'll do. One upside to stopping flight meals, I guess.

But I love introducing people to the veg*an pantry!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've been a vegetarian for about 18 months. I started because of intestinal problems and a nutritionist suggested that I go meatless for 3 months to allow my insides to heal (it's very hard on your body to digest meat protein). I felt so good that I am not eating meat at all. DD3 has been vegetarian for 4 years so she's happy. DH has decided that he likes meatless meals at home so cooking is pretty easy. I do cook meat when my parents visit and such because it's easier than putting up with all of the comments but find that I am happy and healthy not eating meat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Breakfast a bowl of flat rolled oats with milk, a bowl of cooked blended SOY beans. I can function all day, but do have a second meal of whatever is around. Reduce sugar to almost nothing.

Have been doing this for 40 years with no problem.

Eat to live-not live to eat. Sort of like filling up a car with gas.

If I have a splurge, I don't eat much before, or eat almost nothing the following day. This applies to the social meal functions.

In general, never eat anything that is packaged, as found in supermarkets. Anything that can be kept indefinitely at room temperature is junk food, unfit for human or animal consumption.
    Durgan
    http://durgan.org/2011/ Garden Journal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by missyali View Post
    Here's a question & please don't think I am gross. But when I don't eat meat (I'm am trying to cut it out completely, very hard with my carnivore family) and I fill up on veggies, beans and such, I am a little gassy (okay, A LOT). What do you do for this? TIA
    I know this is a late reply to this thread, but you can sprout your beans before cooking them.
    Also some beans are not meat to be sprouted, so you would also need to research this as well.
    This is supposed to "open up" the beans to release all of the gas inducing proteins.

I haven't tried it yet, but it makes complete sense to me.

Here is a bit more about it:
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvDggHRwHEw[/media]

Hth you some!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123