Green flooring - too expensive
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Green flooring - too expensive

Well, I did serious research into green flooring for my basement rec room. Because it's subflooring I was limited - no bamboo or wood. I have pets and so cork was also out - read lots of bad reviews about durability with pets. So that left me with real linoleum...but it was so expensive. Just WAY out of my range. It would have cost $2K more than the vinyl flooring I ended up with. It's discouraging to me that someone like me - who WANTS to be green, can't afford green flooring.

I'm having it put in tomorrow and they'll be using some strong glue and it's got PVC in it, but at least I feel better knowing that vinyl flooring is low VOC these days (I checked my brand and it is) and more and more companies are recycling PVC flooring/products, so maybe at the end of its life it can/will be recycled. I especially feel concerned because I'm adopting a baby and with everything I'm reading about PVC in plastic toys and how bad that is for babies (always putting hands/toys in mouth), I worry about the exposure due to the vinyl flooring.

Because I have this cat who likes to pee on rugs, I can't even put an organic area rug down. The only option is that I get a blanket or rug that I roll out when the baby starts to crawl and just don't let the cat down there when the baby is down there. Well, at least I'm getting it now, so I can let it off gas before I get the baby. Sigh...frustrating.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have cork floors in my kitchen, foyer, and hallway ~ and I have 2 dogs and a cat. No problems from the critters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How to Make a Floor From Brown Paper Bags | eHow.com

This is probably out of the question too if you can't use bamboo or wood, but I thought I'd post it anyway just in case. Polyurethene surely isn't green though.
    ~Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.~

~The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmmm....not sure what you're saying about polyurethane not being green...

My point of my post is that I'm frustrated that I can't afford green floors - there was no implication of my floors being green, only that they were at least low VOC, which is better than not being low VOC - and that I can recycle them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope you enjoy your new floor. One of the things I try to remind myself is that re-using is being green. So, when I was remodeling my home the first place I went for supplies was Habitat for Humanity RE-store, not only do they stock some new unused items, but also used things as well. Not sure they would have had anything you could have used either, but it always makes me feel better to check there first.

It's a way to be cheaply green.
    total debt: $23977.09 updated 04/02/11

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I find going green is more expensive. I find that strange when it is helping the environment. At least you were able to find something that you liked and could afford. Enjoy!
    Sept No Spend Days - 8 /20
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 228 /365
    2014 Sept Gas Challenge - $68.50 / $120
    Sept Keep Fit - 1125 min / 900 min

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Josephhgoins View Post
    I hope you enjoy your new floor. One of the things I try to remind myself is that re-using is being green. So, when I was remodeling my home the first place I went for supplies was Habitat for Humanity RE-store, not only do they stock some new unused items, but also used things as well. Not sure they would have had anything you could have used either, but it always makes me feel better to check there first.

It's a way to be cheaply green.
    The local architectural salvage store here usually has some wooden flooring as well.

Also, I have a friend who bought flooring tiles on ebay.

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

aha - I see - the article Nishi posted included using polyurethane...ugh, yes, not green and that smell is awful. Well, my floor's in now and frankly, it's perfect (aside from not being super green). I couldn't put wood in my basement because it's a subfloor - moisture issues. It's been about two months and my floor is done offgassing (at least that I can smell and I have a very sensitive nose). I do plan to put in wood floors upstairs and I'm planning to get them either from Habitat ReStore or Lumber Liquidators. I wish I knew about those places 8 years ago when I bought my house - I paid full price fro the wood flooring in my dining room - but I did use a water-based stain/finish and even with cats, swing dancing, etc., they've held up fine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

swing dancing?
    total debt: $23977.09 updated 04/02/11

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thomas J. Elpel (Green University) created a "tile" floor using an adobe type mix, reinforced with concrete and fly ash. He "cut" the tiles using milk crates.

I install floors for a living. Which brand of vinyl did you use, Gottadance? If people do go the vinyl route, I highly recommend Armstrong's "Battleship" line. While it is more expensive than Mannington, for example, it is built to last. I installed some at a home for the brain injured back in 2001. A common day there sees five or six wheelchairs (mostly electric ones) going in and out of the common area. The foot traffic is very high, as well. The floor is still holding up fantastically.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, I've been swing dancing for about 12 years and have had many parties with my swing dance friends dancing on the hardwood floors.

I ended up with Armstrong flooring - forget what it's called already - so far I really like it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Has anyone here tried the paper bag floor? I'd really like to try it.