a light bulb question for my non-light bulb moment.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default a light bulb question for my non-light bulb moment.

Sooooo.........no more 'regular' light bulbs after 2014. One plant has already closed.

The LED bulbs are SUPER expensive.....can be triple the CFL....and they (cfl's) aren't cheap.

CFL's are becoming more 'moderately' priced BUT:

1. shouldn't be used where the light is turned off and on often

2 shouldn't be used in the bathroom or anywhere moisture is

3. shouldn't be used where they could get broken or in a kid's room as they have MERCURY in them

4. they won't FIT in many of my lights/lamps unless I take the covers off (IE: kitchen ceiling --bedroom lamps)

Can someone kindly tell me what they expect us to do????

I don't know at what point you won't be able to buy them anymore but maybe I should START STOCKPILING!!!

I have a bathroom with no windows and have BURNED through about $20 worth of the CFL's already..........I leave my door open when I shower but I am not real keen about peeing in the dark!!!

And I just had a thought yesterday.............what about the small appliance bulbs? What will I use in my garage door opener when it burns out??? I ALREADY have no lamp shade on my lamp in the bedroom...........as it won't fit with the CFL on it.

WHAT IS EVERYONE ELSE DOING????

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never heard about not having them in a bathroom. We've had them in our bathroom light for several years and I always close the door when I take a shower. They don't seem to have any problems with the moisture.

I have heard that there have been problems with the ones coming from China: don't last long, catch fire, etc. I don't know where ours came from but we've had them probably 6 or 7 years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am looking forward to hearing what others have to say about these. I can't use them in dimmer lights either and I have 2 of them. Also in inclosed shades and that takes care of the rest of the house but the kitchen..Already have tube lights there.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They do make lamp shade extensions so you can fit the larger CFL's.

Here is a good article.
    CFL Bulbs

and they do make extenders... (we use these)

If you're buying things you really don't NEED on sale, are you really saving?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by daylily View Post
    I've never heard about not having them in a bathroom. We've had them in our bathroom light for several years and I always close the door when I take a shower. They don't seem to have any problems with the moisture.

I have heard that there have been problems with the ones coming from China: don't last long, catch fire, etc. I don't know where ours came from but we've had them probably 6 or 7 years.
    We use them in the bathroom as well.... no issues.

And they make all different sizes nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post

And I just had a thought yesterday.............what about the small appliance bulbs?
    You have me stumped on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    What will I use in my garage door opener when it burns out???
    I use CFL's in my garage door opener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've used all kinds of CFL's and the only one I couldn't get to work is an outside flood light that's on a sensor. No issues with the bathroom, moisture, turning on and off all the time - in fact, in the 7 years we've been using them I've only had 3 burn out. And they are making new kinds all the time - now they made them for dimmers, three-way lights, fixtures, etc.

And I think they do make appliance bulbs - I'm not sure, but we have two of them in the range hood over the stove. Not sure if those are technically appliance bulbs or not.

Halfway between the Wolverines and the Spartans
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just noticed at the store tonight that they're making the CFLs much smaller than they used to, so I think they will fit in some of our fixtures that they wouldn't have before. I also like that you can now get different "colors" of light with them....some are more blue, some are more yellow. I always hated the cold feel of them before. And I know they make special ones for dimmer switches. We've had a mix of regular and CFL bulbs for the 8 years we've lived here, and we haven't had to replace a CFL yet. I'm glad they're making them in more traditional shapes, too....I'm not a huge fan of the spiral!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by daylily View Post
    Sounds like most of them will be coming from China.......the article said "all" but I doubt that......still..........scares me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    [FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Blue"]
    And they make all different sizes nowadays.

I use CFL's in my garage door opener.
    Thanks for info Russ.......size is important but I use the equivalent to 100 watt. Haven't found that small enough.

I use the ceiling light in my kitchen to sew........and I am not going to try to do it with some 60 watt equiv. CFL. As for my bedroom...........use the light to read and I don't care that I have to take the shade off that or what it looks like.

Haven't 'needed' to try them in my garage door opener........as it hasn't burned out and I haven't gotten that one changed....yet. Guess I best be checking it out. Also, haven't tried them in my motion lights outside.

My lamps in the LR are both LED so I know how $ those are.

FOR THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE THEM IN THEIR BATHROOM.......

is your bathroom a small one?

Don't know what the problem there is.............my bathroom is very small........sink, toilet, tub..............but I have really burned through some bulbs when I was first changing.............I quit that a few years back. Have NO PROBLEM with the normal bulbs and they seem to last a long time........can't remember the last time one burned out.

I also have one of those 'floodlights' over my sink...........anyone use them there???? (that hasn't burned out yet either....and it must be about time....but I LOVE THIS LIGHT....and use it a lot!!)

Thanks for all the replies..........great help!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm stocking up on the incandescent light bulbs.

Jumped on the CFL wagon years ago and just recently jumped off after realizing how unhealthy they are, especially with a toddler in the house. I never noticed any savings on the electric bill and they do NOT last much longer than the incandescent light bulbs. At least not in my house! Definitely not worth the cost of the CFL light bulbs.

I have less headaches/migraines after switching back to the incandescent light bulbs.

CFL bulbs not only contain mercury but they also put off dirty electricity.

Scientific Research | Dirty Electricity

Dirty Electricity: Not So Green Afterall... - Fighting Autism and Winning!

ETA: I have a friend who had a CFL bulb start a fire in her house. I'm not sure if this is a wide spread problem or not. Scary none the less though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by madjen View Post
    Jumped on the CFL wagon years ago and just recently jumped off after realizing how unhealthy they are, especially with a toddler in the house. I never noticed any savings on the electric bill and they do NOT last much longer than the incandescent light bulbs. At least not in my house! Definitely not worth the cost of the CFL light bulbs.

I have less headaches/migraines after switching back to the incandescent light bulbs.

Thanks mj............interesting!!

I have 'some' CFL's that have seemed to last longer. I do think they might have made a difference in my elec. bill.....but it is going to be interesting.

LED --of which I have two lamps.......have their drawbacks too...........IF you can believe the articles. (and, of course, I like the blue light LED's as I use them for crafts......and that is closer to 'natural' daylight!!)

What Are the Dangers of LED Lights? | eHow.com

I guess I am just REAL PI$$## that this is being crammed down my throat............and then they won't even be made here....which makes me even MORE skeptical!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm PROCHOICE ~ for light bulbs

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice Jessica.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a small apartment bathroom. I replaced ALL the regular bulbs, 6 I think, over the mirror (vanity light thing) with one CFL. It gives me plenty of light. I've had it there over two years with no problems. Maybe the newer bulbs are better in those situations?
    Donna

2015 Use It Up Challenge: 0/18 Caron One Pound -- 0/? HL Yarn
    2015 Not One Penny for Crafts:
    2015 Reading Challenge: 0/36 at work -- 0 at home
    2015 Stockpile -- note to self: remember this one
    12/15/15: July 31 goal - 26.7%

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband gets migraines from CFLs. I get headaches from anything that flickers, so all fluorescents, the old monitors, TVs, etc.

We are resisting as much as possible to the change for health reasons.
    MissSeetonFan

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by madjen View Post
    I'm stocking up on the incandescent light bulbs.

ETA: I have a friend who had a CFL bulb start a fire in her house. I'm not sure if this is a wide spread problem or not. Scary none the less though.
    I'm right there with you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast