Frugal Village Forums banner

My green blitz!

Tags
blitz green
1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  kickchk 
#1 ·
My kiddos are gone with various grandmothers for the next month so I decided now is the time to let my freak out.

I'm going "guerrilla green" for the next 31 days.

Not only will this be great for the environment, it won't hurt the wallet either!

1.) Car: one day a week I will use the car- basically for grocery and supply shopping.

2.) Limit my produce and egg purchases to the local farms.

3.) Continue working on my little vegetable garden

4.) Limit purchases to limit packaging.

5.) Walk to work daily.

6.) NO FAST FOOD (this one may kill me- but it's not ethically raised, causes litter, and costs way to much in terms of health and money.)

7.) If I have to buy something, try to find it used first.

8.) Freecycle and Craigslist my attic - time to declutter in a way that helps others.

9.) Make all my cleaning supplies.

I'm journaling this experience on my blog. I think it will be quite an experiment to see what one ordinary, not-rich-or-famous person can do.

I'd love it if some of you decided to join me!

See less See more
#6 ·
I made some interesting observations today. This was my second day of walking everywhere and I realized how much I'm missing out on by driving most of the time.

1.) I'm REALLY out of shape. I hurt from head to toe.

2.) I don't take the time to just think very often. I'm constantly rushing from one place to another.

3.) There are lovely little surprises that you miss when you drive everywhere. Today, I wandered down a street that I drive down on almost a daily basis. It's a humble, unassuming street jammed with little bungalows. As the dogs stopped to sniff at a gate to someone's side yard, I discovered this:

#7 ·
Love the last pic...brought up your link to read

Reactions: Daisygirl
#8 ·
Brought up your link also and read. Thanks for the tips. You really inspire others to think and do green living. I also read your recipes for cleaning. I have never seen the veg. oil or the soap you are talking about. Do you purchase it on line. I was impressed with the way the floor looks..mine never shines that way even when I have just cleaned it. Share some more cleaning recipes when you have time. Thanks

#9 ·
L8eebugg: Thank you! I got the vegetable glycerin and the Dr Bronner's soap at the health food store. Today I was at a grocery store that has a natural foods section and they had both of the products there also. (You are likely to find them at the more expensive grocery stores).

The glycerin is not necessary, it just keeps the ingredients mixed longer. If you can't find the soap, another option is to take the bars of Ivory soap and use a metal cheese grater - then add water to make this a liquid soap. Ivory is the most natural regular soap you can buy.

Reactions: l8eebugg
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.