Attempting vegetarianism due to Forks over Knives - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54
  1. #31
    Master Dollar Stretcher madhen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,545
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    427
    Rep Power
    91

    Default

    I call myself a semi-veg, because I prefer meatless and eat it enough that about half my co-workers think I am a vegetarian, but I will eat meat occasionally. I think I would still eat eggs, even if I gave up red meat and poultry, because I get my eggs from my hens, and I know that my chickens live a happy and cruelty-free life, so I don't feel guilty about "exploiting" their labour.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

    Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    3,479
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    56
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Re transitioningto more vegetarian fare. Years ago, I found a 'save money' book that advocated this pattern: double, one, left over. So you make soup or ? the 1st night, with "planned overs" a single meal, then the 3rd night have the left overs.

    When I met DH he was mostly a happy vegetarian. So... to meld the two of us into a single household, at first, that single meal was vegetarian, then later, the double dish/leftover was. In the process I tried a lot of things and discarded some and kept others.

    At first I was reluctant, but at 29 I came down with pleurisy and angina. It was real obvious I needed to change a few things. I did. I quit smoking and started using the DOLDOL pattern to eat more vegetarian meals.

    These are our favorites: fresh corn soup (requires broth of some sort, you CAN make broth with the cobs),3 cheese lasagna (mozz, parmesan, and ricotta cheeses), pesto/mozzarella sandwiches with fresh tomato, corn cheese soup (I added it to the cookbook here), pasta & cheese (not mac & cheese) etc.

    I hope this helps!

    Judi

  3. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    O-H-I-O
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    We watched this movie and converted over night. We went shopping and bought a ton of veggies! It is something I have been wanting to do for a while.

  4. #34
    Registered User PlainCash4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    241
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    After being raised a carnivore (no really, my family didn't even always have side dishes, but we always had meat) and then sticking to those ways through my adult years thus far, I'm taking the leap of faith into vegetarianism. Well, to throw out another label, the lacto-ovo type with milk and eggs but even that at a minimal amount. Certainly not daily.

    I watched Fork over Knives, anyone seen that yet? At the risk of sounding like I'm hopping onto a fad diet, I have to admit it was my big eye-opener. It was the turning point for me. Last year my doctor suggested I eat my veggies first when eating a meal, that has helped slowly over time to build up my taste preference for vegetables. I've weaned out red meat for the most part with occasional cravings, but now I think I'm ready to take the plunge and give up all meat.

    What will be difficult for me is seafood and family special holiday meals so I may still allow those, but at a greatly reduced amount. For instance, Thanksgiving which is once a year, Christmas Eve during which my mom makes a very special meal that we only have on that occasion. The sushi, well, that will be difficult but even if I slip up a couple times a year its better than the total carnivore that I used to be.

    I have heart disease on both sides of my family, both my mom and dad are currently suffering from heart issues and I can't help but attribute it to this way of eating. The bacon, the burgers, the sausage, the eggs dripping in the juices of it all....ughhh. And yet its all appealing to me! I want it! I have got to change my ways or else end up as they are. I don't want that, I know I can't live forever but I want to feel GOOD/Healthy for as long as I can while here.

    Has anyone else been influenced heavily by a show, movie, or book that helped them turn that corner?

    Have any have advice to make it easier? So far I'm focusing on making similar meals but meatless. I have a pot of vegetarian chili in the crockpot for dinner when I get home tonight.
    I use eat almost like a condiment. I just eat a little bit. I'm probably about 90% + vegetarian

  5. #35
    Registered User mocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I become a vegetarian (well - technically a pescatariann- fish, dairy and eggs) in February of this year and my boyfriend went pescatarian in June. I think it is a lifestyle we were both naturally leaning towards on our own but having the other person give it up helps to make us stronger as we get to support each other in this lifestyle. I have seen the movies and read the books and completely believe it is a much healthier lifestyle.

    I think it is great that your boyfriend is dabbling in giving up meat as well. It doesn't sound like (to me) that you are pressuring him at all. I didn't pressure my boyfriend either - he read the books and saw the movies as well. It was a decision that he made one day and just came out and told me that he wanted to join me in giving up meat. Granted - I would only cook pescatarian at home so if he wanted meat - he would have to cook it or would get it for lunch (meat sandwich, burger, etc).

    Good luck! It sounds like there are a lot of vegetarian/pescatarian/near-vegetarians on frugal village so it sounds like you will find a great support system here as well!

  6. #36
    Registered User GreenWays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I haven't seen that video, but I was really inspired to become a vegetarian after watching a lot of Peta videos. lol If you want inspiration, that may do it.

    I think the best way to stay away from meat is to find amazing vegetarian foods. Check out some vegan/vegetarian restaurants and find some vegetarian cookbooks and practice making new things that sound good, little by little. It takes a while to develop a taste for some things, but eventually, you'll be craving the healthier alternatives most of the time.

    If you're doing it for health reasons, there is no need to get rid of seafood completely, especially salmon in reasonable amounts. Some fish can be very beneficial for your heart if cooked correctly.

    As far as sushi though, have you tried vegan versions, like veggie California rolls? I'm totally addicted to those.

    Another option may be a juice fast if you can afford it. It would be the easiest way to "detox" and go cold turkey. You should do a lot of research first though and ask your physician because it's not always safe, depending on your health.

  7. #37
    Registered User sinopa27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    1,581
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWays View Post
    Another option may be a juice fast if you can afford it. It would be the easiest way to "detox" and go cold turkey. You should do a lot of research first though and ask your physician because it's not always safe, depending on your health.
    It is a shame how expensive veggies are. I am juicing now and could probably eat meat cheaper. You can't find coupons for fresh vegetables and they hardly go on sale. It would be nice if fresh produce would go on sale. I am gardening to help but that takes some time until veggies are ready. But....I don't care, it has to be cheaper to get the veggies than paying for a heart bypass.

  8. #38
    Registered User krbshappy71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    DE
    Posts
    2,371
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWays View Post
    I haven't seen that video, but I was really inspired to become a vegetarian after watching a lot of Peta videos. lol If you want inspiration, that may do it.

    I think the best way to stay away from meat is to find amazing vegetarian foods. Check out some vegan/vegetarian restaurants and find some vegetarian cookbooks and practice making new things that sound good, little by little. It takes a while to develop a taste for some things, but eventually, you'll be craving the healthier alternatives most of the time.

    If you're doing it for health reasons, there is no need to get rid of seafood completely, especially salmon in reasonable amounts. Some fish can be very beneficial for your heart if cooked correctly.

    As far as sushi though, have you tried vegan versions, like veggie California rolls? I'm totally addicted to those.

    Another option may be a juice fast if you can afford it. It would be the easiest way to "detox" and go cold turkey. You should do a lot of research first though and ask your physician because it's not always safe, depending on your health.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably be lenient on the seafood, but so far am avoiding it as according to the movie and other sources, "As a source of omega-3 fatty acids, fish has long been touted as one of the staples of a healthy diet, however 15-30% of fish is saturated fat." --http://healthybodydaily.com/dr-oz-in-case-you-missed-it/dr-oz-forks-over-knives-if-it-has-parents-and-a-face-donít-eat-it

    Still struggling with the eggs and dairy, not willing to give those up just yet. I'm not overdosing on them, I am just not willing to get them out of the house or stop buying them yet. I gave away the meat to my daughter's bf's family, they were appreciative.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

    Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

    Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

  9. #39
    Founder Sara Noel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    45
    Posts
    19,023
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    10
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    Has anyone else been influenced heavily by a show, movie, or book that helped them turn that corner?
    For those on FV that are starting to watch some food, health, etc. documentaries, here are some more that might interest you:

    Serious Green: Movies That Go Beyond Food Inc | Serious Eats

  10. #40
    Registered User annymoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,255
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably be lenient on the seafood, but so far am avoiding it as according to the movie and other sources, "As a source of omega-3 fatty acids, fish has long been touted as one of the staples of a healthy diet, however 15-30% of fish is saturated fat." --http://healthybodydaily.com/dr-oz-in-case-you-missed-it/dr-oz-forks-over-knives-if-it-has-parents-and-a-face-donít-eat-it

    Still struggling with the eggs and dairy, not willing to give those up just yet. I'm not overdosing on them, I am just not willing to get them out of the house or stop buying them yet. I gave away the meat to my daughter's bf's family, they were appreciative.
    We use flax, wheat germ and leafy vegetables for our Omega-3 sources, and very small portions of nuts.No need to have meat to get those! Have you read The McDougall plan? It will help explain what you need and how to get it without eating dead flesh.( My husband eats meat also, I just serve him smaller portions and less red meat.)

  11. #41
    Registered User Maisiedotes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    181
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    9

    Smile

    Yay You!!! When I was growing up, I had to clean my plate.. I never wanted meat but I had to eat it or I would be grounded. So I did. As soon as I was out on my own I went vegetarian.. it was easy for me since I didn't like meat anyways. Now, after 16 years, plus 7 years for my husband, and my kids have been veg since birth (they are 2 and 4), we feel great, not only physically but mentally as well. For me, once I took the plunge, I started reading. Then I read more.. then it made so much sense to me that I have never looked back. I don't see it as a "fad diet". It doesn't eliminate any food groups.. protein in the form of beans and seeds and nuts is still protein. I applaud you.. after seeing Forks Over Knives I went vegan and I am so glad I did.

  12. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I became veg (lacto-ovo) a little over 2 years ago after watching Food Inc. I also watched Forks Over Knives recently.

    Good for you!

  13. #43
    Registered User krbshappy71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    DE
    Posts
    2,371
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Thank you, just an update, I have been sticking to the no meat for the most part but still have these hurtles:

    seafood/fish, I LOVE. I am not ready to give this up yet but don't have it very often.

    eggs and dairy: I have cut WAY back but still have not been willing to give this up. I don't drink milk but its the cheese and ice cream that I love.

    One dish that my mom makes only once a year, on Christmas eve, I did eat. She is making it for my wedding dinner, and after that I am moving and probably will not have the dish again for several years so I'm letting myself have it one last time before moving. Its a family dish that I've loved all my life.

    All other meats are gone from my life and I do feel so good!! I am eating more beans now than ever and have enjoyed the new recipes I've found for using them. I always claimed that I hated beans but now I know that I just never gave them a chance because I had my meat.

    Money saving has been obvious already. I'm eating more fresh and frozen produce, grains, and beans and it is much cheaper than the cuts of meats I wanted. (yes, I was not only a carnivore but a snobby one at that, ha!)

    All around I am still working on reducing the hurtles I currently have and learning new recipes. I don't know if I will become completely "forks over knives" but it has turned around my thinking and for that I am appreciative.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

    Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

    Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

  14. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Maisiedotes--I'm a vegan, too! Seven years in February. I love it.

    Krbshappy--hurties? Do you mean you're hurting bc you want meat so much so you eat it occassionally (kind of like you need a fix?) Or, are you saying you feel guilty when you eat meat bc you're hurting animals? Whatever, if there is an ethical component to your vegetarianism, you're doing great anyway. Think of all the animals you've helped so far with all the vegetarian meals you've already consumed! Way to go!

    What's this Forks over Knives video? Never heard of it.

  15. #45
    Registered User krbshappy71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    DE
    Posts
    2,371
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnys View Post
    Maisiedotes--I'm a vegan, too! Seven years in February. I love it.

    Krbshappy--hurties? Do you mean you're hurting bc you want meat so much so you eat it occassionally (kind of like you need a fix?) Or, are you saying you feel guilty when you eat meat bc you're hurting animals? Whatever, if there is an ethical component to your vegetarianism, you're doing great anyway. Think of all the animals you've helped so far with all the vegetarian meals you've already consumed! Way to go!

    What's this Forks over Knives video? Never heard of it.
    Hurtles, not hurties. Hurtles as in things to overcome. Those obstacles people jump over in a track meet.

    No ethics, just lots of heart disease issues on both sides of the family and the Forks & Knives supposedly addresses/helps those problems.

    Forks Over Knives | The Official Movie Website

    The video is also on Netflix if you have that.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

    Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

    Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vegetarianism... can you help?
    By MomToTwoBoys in forum Green Living
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-21-2011, 04:56 PM
  2. Flirting with Vegetarianism
    By MomsaBasketCase in forum Green Living
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-03-2010, 10:12 PM
  3. Does anyone have an Ginsu Knives?
    By Rebookie in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-21-2010, 02:49 PM
  4. Vegetarianism & Allergies
    By ssn01 in forum Green Living
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 06:20 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •