Attempting vegetarianism due to Forks over Knives - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    Hurtles, not hurties. Hurtles as in things to overcome. Those obstacles people jump over in a track meet.
    Hurdles, for future use, hopefully eliminating any potential for confusion.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just another vegan here chiming in...

Great job on your decision and your continued commitment to live this lifestyle. No, it is not easy - in fact some days it's just plain difficult!

At least the world is coming to terms with our numbers growing at an astounding rate so our choices (restaurant eating to be something OTHER than salad, salad, or all we have for you is salad) - (grocery stores offering tofu & TVP on their shelves) - (recipes & cookbooks dedicated to this style of eating around every corner)....yes, the world is recognizing that we are not going away (they still think we are NUTS however, but who cares, right????)

A couple of items I would like to mention that I have not seen in this thread:

Grab yourself a couple of cookbooks tailored to CHILDREN and/orTEEN vegans. The reason I say this is you will find vegan recipes of foods that are familiar and comfortable (and ingredients & prep are so much more simple too)...

Make sure that if and when you go totally vegan you are getting enough B12 vitamins. There is no known plant source for this vitamin and it is recommended that all Vegans take a supplement (your body NEEDS this).

Also you questioned Omega-3 substitutions and someone mentioned flaxseed. Make sure that if you are using flaxseed that it is a GROUND version as the body cannot process a whole seed and will simply 'discard' it.

If you are not familiar with TVP (textured vegetable protein) grab yourself some, this truly is some great stuff. TVP comes 2 ways (flake form- looks like a crunchy oatmeal) & (chunks- looks like pieces of cut up chicken). You reconstitute either in water and the flakes can then be used in anything that you normally would be using hamburger in (sloppy joes, tacos, chili, spaghetti....) the chunks can be added to meals mimicking what you might normally throw chunks of white meat into (stir fries, noodle dishes...) Both are tasteless and will take on the flavors of whatever you are cooking. DH is a meat eater but I can use flaked TVP and many times he does not know the difference...(shhhh....lol).

One more thing- I have used a soy protein powder from a company called Puritans Pride for many years. It is a healthy protein alternative made from soy. It is low in sugars, fats, carbs & does not contain any 'junk'. One scoop is only 100 calories (big scoop too) and you can pretty much do anything with it. (make milk, smoothies, sprinkle on ice cream, cereal, yogurts- all soy of course)...It is available in white, vanilla & chocolate. Currently I use a 1/2 mix of each vanilla/chocolate mixed in 16 oz of water (you can adjust your liquid amounts and make it as weak or strong as you wish). One scoop has 20grams of protein. I mix up a container full each night and sip on it thruout the next day (I have personally found that when it is allowed to 'sit' for a few hrs it improves the taste- not that the taste is bad at all to begin with).

Thats it- that's all I got....Take Care!

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
    Hurdles, for future use, hopefully eliminating any potential for confusion.
    Lol thanks mndtrp
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Its available to watch streaming... it is so educational and not alot of graphic stuff (if any). I want everyone to watch it!

ama
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

After watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead my dh had a total mindset reboot. His original idea of a vegetable was a french fry. It motivated him enough to do a juice fast of Kale, my dh is eating kale, spinach, apple etc shakes. He lost 50lbs in a few months. Now he's eating much healthier though it is a daily battle. I say get your motivation where you can. If a documentary can open your eyes, which several have for us, go with it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the movie suggestion, I just noticed Fat Sick and Nearly Dead is on Netlix so am going to check that out with fiancé.

I have not faltered once with the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism"]Pescetarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] and I don't miss the other meat at all! My fiancé is still on track with this diet as well. He misses the meat, still, and will talk of it fondly but I just tell him it's his decision what he eats, that this is my lifestyle choice, though. If he does stop doing it I do know I won't be cooking meat meals for him, he will have to come up with those on his own.

I have cut back on dairy but I don't check boxes to see if there are milk solids or anything. I do check ingredients of prepared foods for any chicken or beef bullion as flavoring, it's in everything sheesh. But that's ok I am working in cutting out prepared foods anyhow. I use almond milk to cook with and drink so that has helped, still not willing to give up cheese though. I love my cheese!
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

in 2010 dd and i did a 30 day raw plan (alissa cohen) she lost 12 lbs, her face cleared of acne, I lost 23 and felt better than i had in yrs. we went from SAD to raw, loved the energy from the live foods but in winter didn't have great access to fresh veggies so gradually went back to sad- her acne returned and my energy level went down. so this time around we are using some cooked items to not limit ourselves to simply raw veggies, fruits. I've got a copy if anyone is interestedin FOK's let me know interesing book pretty interesting recipes it seems. I like quick and easy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There's a wide range between raw vegetarianism and the standard American diet! All things in moderation.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd like to recommend a good soybean if you're looking for something with tons of protein to help in your diet.

Check out edamame.

Oh my GOD! I had it on my metabolism boosting salad (which had other things on it that were pretty tasty). The edamame was honestly the yummiest part of the whole salad.

You can get it frozen and either shelled or unshelled. But the price difference is astounding between the two, so I would get it shelled.

It microwaves in something like 3 minutes and is an excellent protein substitute. They're also non-genetically modified and you can either prepare them in boiling water or the microwave.

Here's the nutritional guide for edamame:

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Edamame, frozen, prepared

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234