Natural Living/Organic book thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also picked up today "Conscious Style Home" by Danny Seo

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312276613/sr=8-1/qid=1144363770/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0323649-3617558?%5Fencoding=UTF8"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312276613/sr=8-1/qid=1144363770/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0323649-3617558?%5Fencoding=UTF8[/ame]

June grocery challenge $114.99/$400

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Better Basics... by Annie B. Bond is great! Related books concerning the environment that I've recently read are Lost Mountain by Eric Reese. It's a revealing and sobering account of mountaintop removal mining that occurs here in my home state of Kentucky. An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore is also revealing and a call to action.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I second the Green Kitchen Handbook!

Also:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nontoxic-Natural-Earthwise-Debra-Dadd/dp/0874775841/sr=8-1/qid=1159268451/ref=sr_1_1/104-9943845-4634316?ie=UTF8&s=books"]Amazon.com: Nontoxic, Natural & Earthwise (9780874775846): Debra Lynn Dadd, Judy Collins, Steve Lett: Books[/ame]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great thread! I'm making a list to take to the library. I'll also try to submit some of my favorites, but have a notoriously poor memory for titles and authors (I remember the size, shape, and color of the cover just fine;-)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default The Home Energy Diet

by Paul Scheckel. I borrowed it from the library. I'd been looking at going offgrid. One place I found said as a FIRST STEP to read and implement the changes in this book, then think about going off grid, but only then.

So, of course I had to read it!

JD

Registered User ms. frugal kugel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Saving Dinner the Vegetarian Way by Leanne Ely

I bought this book (which I hardly ever do) because it had a lot of crockpot recipes. I'm not a true vegetarian, but I tend to gravitate towards those leanings. Anyway, this is certainly not a low fat book, lots of savory things, but lots of herbs are used. I love it. Some of the family is "eh" about it but this book certainly is saving my dinner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

~ just finished Hundred Year Lie by Randall Fitzgerald.

http://www.hundredyearlie.com/
    Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Banks Sasha Max Lilly Charlie Chianti Jasper Marty

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Great food and made me think!

Unplugged Kitchen by Viana La Place

JD

Registered User hillbillyartist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fast Food Nation [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Food-Nation-Dark-All-American/dp/0060938455"]http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Food-Nation-Dark-All-American/dp/0060938455[/ame]

It's not about organic eatting , but if you read this it will change the way you eat!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Heres an excellent book that I just finished ..Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver
    I highly recommend it..
    heres a review "Novelist Kingsolver recounts a year spent eating home-grown food and, if not that, local. Accomplished gardeners, the Kingsolver clan grow a large garden in southern Appalachia and spend summers "putting food by," as the classic kitchen title goes. They make pickles, chutney and mozzarella; they jar tomatoes, braid garlic and stuff turkey sausage. Nine-year-old Lily runs a heritage poultry business, selling eggs and meat. What they don't raise (lamb, beef, apples) comes from local farms. Come winter, they feast on root crops and canned goods, menus slouching toward asparagus. Along the way, the Kingsolver family, having given up industrial meat years before, abandons its vegetarian ways and discovers the pleasures of conscientious carnivory.This field—local food and sustainable agriculture—is crowded with books in increasingly predictable flavors: the earnest manual, diary of an epicure, the environmental battle cry, the accidental gardener. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is all of these, and much smarter. Kingsolver takes the genre to a new literary level; a well-paced narrative and the apparent ease of the beautiful prose makes the pages fly. Her tale is both classy and disarming, substantive and entertaining, earnest and funny. Kingsolver is a moralist ("the conspicuous consumption of limited resources has yet to be accepted widely as a spiritual error, or even bad manners"), but more often wry than pious. Another hazard of the genre is snobbery. You won't find it here. Seldom do paeans to heirloom tomatoes (which I grew up selling at farmers' markets) include equal respect for outstanding modern hybrids like Early Girl.Kingsolver has the ear of a journalist and the accuracy of a naturalist. She makes short, neat work of complex topics: what's risky about the vegan diet, why animals belong on ecologically sound farms, why bitterness in lettuce is good. Kingsolver's clue to help greenhorns remember what's in season is the best I've seen. You trace the harvest by botanical development, from buds to fruits to roots. Kingsolver is not the first to note our national "eating disorder" and the injuries industrial agriculture wreaks, yet this practical vision of how we might eat instead is as fresh as just-picked sweet corn. The narrative is peppered with useful sidebars on industrial agriculture and ecology (by husband Steven Hopp) and recipes (by daughter Camille), as if to show that local food—in the growing, buying, cooking, eating and the telling—demands teamwork"
    Last edited by Quadcam; 07-21-2008 at 06:32 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

animal,vegetable,miracle by barbara kingsolver awesome book about eating local healthy foods

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SOOOO many good books to read! I need to go to the library!

I'm currently reading, "May All Be Fed" by John Robbins. The first part of the book is really interesting info on eating habits and marketing in our country (and world) and the last part is recipes (vegetarian & vegan). I can't wait to try MANY of them! Yum!!
    Kace - married to Dh 13 years

Love to

Full-time homemaker, full-time college student. Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all the great book ideas ladies. Will have to go to the library and see what I can pick up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love love love Annie Berthold-Bond and highly recommend any of her books! I lent 2 of mine out and need to replace them.... grrr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12