Frugal Village Forums banner

IKEA US to 'Bag the Plastic Bag'

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Nantahala 
#1 ·
Starting March 15, all IKEA stores in the US will charge a nickel per plastic bag in an effort to get people to haul their Swedish Fish and affordable housewares out of the store in reusable bags and cut down on plastic bag waste. Proceeds of up to $1.75 million from the bag campaign will go to American Forests, the nation's oldest non-profit citizens conservation organization, to plant trees to restore forests and offset CO2 emissions. To help alter customer behavior and endorse environmentally responsible habits, IKEA will be selling its reusable 'Big Blue Bag' for 59c, reduced from 99c.
WOOT Go IKEA!

#2 ·
Wow interesting and a great idea too!

#7 ·
~I think all stores should do this. Aldi does this as a cost-saving(for them!)operation but Shoprite will let you re-use your plastic bags and give you $.02 for doing it! I like cloth bags so much better but I re-use those plastic bags at Shoprite! It's just so irritating seeing plastic bags blowing across the parking lot or litering the wetlands here. Urg.~

#9 ·
I know most places in Europe make you pay if you don't bring your own bags. Maybe the US will be the next one to completely go reusable. :D

#12 ·
That is awesome news! I wish more stores did this. My local grocery store actually started selling re-usable bags. Now if only they'd start recycling the plastic bags I'd really be impressed!

#14 · (Edited)
Starting March 15, all IKEA stores in the US will charge a nickel per plastic bag in an effort to get people to haul their Swedish Fish and affordable housewares out of the store in reusable bags and cut down on plastic bag waste. Proceeds of up to $1.75 million from the bag campaign will go to American Forests, the nation's oldest non-profit citizens conservation organization, to plant trees to restore forests and offset CO2 emissions. To help alter customer behavior and endorse environmentally responsible habits, IKEA will be selling its reusable 'Big Blue Bag' for 59c, reduced from 99c.

Thats great that they do that in the US. I dont think they've started charging for the shopping bags in Canada yet though I havent been to Ikea since before Christmas. They've been selling their blue bags for over a year now (the instore ones are yellow I believe?)

The reusable blue ones are great - for toting laundry or larger items that dont fit well into the conventional shopping bag. PLENTY of uses for it.

#16 ·
I think it's a great idea.

We have a few stores here in the UK that are starting to encourage people to either re-use bags, or buy canvas bags.

Asda sells really good, strong (sort of) canvas bags. I have lots of them and use all the time.
Tesco encourages you to re-use any type of bag instead of taking plastic bags for your groceries, by giving you gree points (which are all turned into money off vouchers) for each bag you re-use.

Good start, but I think more needs to be done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.