S/O: Reusable bags
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default S/O: Reusable bags

When we used to live in California I used resuable (canvas) bags all the time while shpping, actually on every shopping trip. Yeah, there was the odd comment here or there ("saving a plastic tree??") but it was no big deal.

Now after living in VA for a couple of years I still can't seem to get myself using them. I don't know why, maybe expecting a worse reaction? And that reaction shouldn't even matter.. But sometimes I feel this palce is really backwards (sorry).

Anyway, to the point/ Does anyone here use canvas bags etc. at places like Target? It just seems like your stuff is bagged so quick that you wouldn't even stand a chance to hand that canvas bag to the person at the checkout. Any experience on this?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have started using resusable bags. So far I have only used them at the grocery store. I try and stay out of Walmart so I haven't had a chance to use them there. In the grocery store it helps if I put the bags right on the conveyer belt with my groceries so they know I have them, otherwise they stick things right in a plastic bag.
    Carrie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use mine everywhere. Mostly because i tend to collect the plastic bags until they take over my home. Last time i took them down to that little recycle thing at the grocery store (i always wondered what they actually do with them from there...) i had over 500!. My husband used to use them for his lunches but i finally broke down and paid the 8 bucks so that he could choose the lunchpack he wanted and thats what he uses now. I do get a few comments here and there but i mostly ignore it or just say i happen to like them better...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I try...you're right, sometimes it's difficult to catch the baggers before they've already plasticed up your stuff. Walmart is the worst for this - and we try not to go to Walmart too often for a myriad of other reasons - but Grayce is right..it helps to put them right up on the belt with your stuff. Bigger chains aren't really used to the idea. Smaller stores, it's not really a big deal around here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i do most of my grocery shopping at Trader Joes and they love my bags and often ask where i got them. I used on for the first time at safeway and was relieved when the the cashier told me she carried bags too and didnt mind at all so she passed me the groceries and I bagged my own stuff. I have never tried at Target im gearing up for that, but i have had success in just saying I don't need a bag at all and carrying things out of several craft stores.

I also try to avoid walmart as much as possible
    Reba

When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have never even seen another person in my area use a canvas bag. I dont do it often but when I do people stair at me. Its so sad that peopple think you are a freak for trying to reduce wiast. Somethimes I wish I lived in a more progressive area.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use re-usable/canvas bags all the time; have done for quite some time. I hate using plastic bags, although sometimes I forget to take a bag when I just go to town, and when I end up buying stuff, I get a small platic one. I get really cross with myself though. However, I do take the few plastic bags i do get, to our local Tesco, where there is a recycling bin for them outside (I hope they do the right things with them - have to find out).

I think, if more people stopped using plastic bags, especially for their grocery shopping, we would really cut down on our landfills.

ama
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm working on it -- at this point I usually end up stopping after work and my canvas bags are sitting at home. I just need better planning!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I keep mine right in the trunk with my cooler bag (that keeps things hot or cold for up to three hours).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have any canvas bags that I use for shopping, though there are times I wish I did when something rips through the plastic bags. I have noticed that one of the grocery stores here sells the canvas bags. Maybe I should check into getting a couple for the heavier stuff. I have used my own bags at Target before, though then I was Christmas shopping and I carried in a bunch of big black trash bags. I had one comment and that was the lady behind me said she should have thought of that. Sure makes it easier to bring in those christmas gifts without the kids seeing what is in the bags.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't use canvas bags but we definitely reuse the bags from Aldi's and Save-A-Lot. We also bring our own plastic bags to the day-old bread store - in fact they like us to bring in enough for our order plus extras for others to use.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to use canvas bags all the time but when we moved to the new house I have yet to find them. I like some others have only used mine in the grocery store. But I have seen people use them other places too.
    Jeanna

Wife to Ken for 27 years
    DS 25
    DD 20

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I'll try again tomorrow. --Mary Anne Radmacher

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have both canvas bags and thermal bags. If I am out shoping (not for food) then I place the bags on top of the items I first put up. If there is no waiting (like that really ever happens to me) I hand them to the cashier before I start unloading the cart. At grocery stores I ask to bag the things myself so I can pack things in a way that makes it easier for me to unpack them and the cold/frozen stuff gets put in the thermal bags. Got most of my things from the thrift stores (who knew the pizza places donated their old bags? lol) or my family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I try to use my canvas bags as much as possible, problem is: I don't have enough bags of my own to use in a big trip -

for small trips, I use canvas or no bag at all.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Max Lilly Chianti

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use reusable plastic bins for groceries. They are sold by one of the grocery chains here, but I bring them into their competitors' stores as well and no one bats an eye. They are so much easier than bags, nothing gets squished, you don't have to make so many trips carrying them in, they last forever (one of mine is about 15 years old), and they are multipurpose (mine get used as laundry baskets, storage containers, and paper recycling bins).

If I'm only buying a couple things, I just refuse the bag and carry it out. I often go to the self checkout to avoid the ' ''no bag please", blank stare, robotic automatic bagging reflex, removal of item from bag, repeat blank stare', routine.

When I cleaned the closets out I found piles and piles of plastic bags, so I am very adamant now about not getting any more, and slowly using up the existing supply as garbage bags.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast