When a costume goes bad...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default When a costume goes bad...

This is a bit of a rant, so I hope you excuse my self-pity. I don't know if it's because we live in a small city or because my expectations are out of whack, but our "frugal" costume ideas are, well, not frugal at all.

The kids want to be Mario and Luigi this year. They are all about the video game thing this year. I thought "That should be easy, couple pairs of overalls, white mitts, make some hats, draw on the moustache, green and red shirts, and presto!" Boy was I wrong! Boys' overalls (new or used) nowhere to be found. Red and green fleece (for hats) again, not to be found. I am relegated to ordering online and the shiping is killing me. Ugh! The best intentions gone wrong.

I saw ugly, premade costumes at the costume store. $55 a piece. I know that some people wouldn't bat an eye at the prospect of making their kids happy with bought costumes, but I refuse to spend $100 for something the kids will wear once. Halloween is getting as pricey as Christmas!
    CB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The cost of those "cheap" costumes shock me every year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am facing the same problem with my daughter this year. She wants to be a crayola crayon and at age 12 and 5ft 2inches she needs a womens size - no where to be found and the stores on the internet that do still have it in stock want $49.99 - CRAZY!
    We used to have to make do with what we can find but now with the internet you can find anything but it is costly.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used to always start halloween planning in August. It's not too early, especially if you are planning to use 'found' items like the OP wants. I started in January once for a pair of costumes I needed for an August event, and barely made the deadline. But they were awesome costumes.

By the time it's October you're competing with everyone else for last minute stuff. Argh!

Good luck finding what you need.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For the crayola crayon you can where a sweats of choice color and get black felt for the letters and felt for the tip in the color of your sweats or starch a piece pf fabric and roll it in to a cone shape.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My boys want to be Mario and Luigi as well. I've found them online for $30 each with free shipping, but I'm still not comfortable spending that much and am looking for alternatives as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by porembam View Post
    I am facing the same problem with my daughter this year. She wants to be a crayola crayon and at age 12 and 5ft 2inches she needs a womens size - no where to be found and the stores on the internet that do still have it in stock want $49.99 - CRAZY!
    We used to have to make do with what we can find but now with the internet you can find anything but it is costly.
    Not trying to tell you what to do; but you can go to the fabric store and buy some felt (the color she wants to be) Roll it up like a paper towel tube. Cut circle holes for her arms. Then buy a small piece of black to add to the color part to wrap around the "crayon" You can glue the felt in place and its probably on sale at Joanns or will be shortly. Buy enough felt to cut a piece off to make a cone hat. Look at an actual crayon to "mark" it right with the felt pcs. Hope this helps

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

im "forced" to make my costume this year..i even have to adjust the pattern as i couldnt find one i a size 24..making a 50's circle skirt and found materal for $2.00 a yard- 30%off.

it has a zipper in it(no happening) and i should make a poddle to go on the skirt(also no happening)..just have to figure how much i need to add to pattern ..i think i know how..after wards i will be making something else out of the material.
    car loan 12/2006 14,687.93

student load : in forbearance

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my 16 yo was mario for two years
    we used a blue snowsuit rather than overalls-- turned a red tee inside out to be plain red
    took a hat and covered the thing on the front with a white circle and the red M out of felt .

at wal,art i bought a 2 pair pack of off white gardening / work type gloves for under 5$ - gloves arent going to stay white long anyway may as well get something you can re-use

didnt really worry about shoes - this is link to pix should show up as public link

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d&id=712727215

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Boy, I sure feel your pain. My youngest has been asking all year to be Pikachu, from Pokemon. I was lucky to get a mask (free after gift certificates), and she received a Pokemon hat for her birthday, so the ears are taken care of. But the body... oh boy.

I figured I could buy fleece tops and bottoms and dye them yellow, then make a tail (out of what, I don't know) and use brown felt for the stripes. Well, I cannot find plain fleece! Walmart used to have them, but no more, I guess. This is a small town, and only have Shopko or Walmart for supplies.

The costumes were online but wanted from $50-$100 for Pikachu, even on ebay! I was shocked. And now I'm starting to get nervous. I'm not sure I could sew a sheet into something recognizable or not. I'm not really the crafty type.

I vow I will start earlier next year. I sure hate to disappoint my kiddos. We always made our costumes and I don't remember my parents ever paying for a costume.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was just over to Amazon.com. and they are having a Mario 25th birthday bash, with a percentage off their costumes. Mario's 25th Birthday Bash

Hope this helps someone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My nephew went as Mario last year, and I guess we really got lucky. He found a pair of button suspenders and the hat at Hot Topic. He bought a cheap mustache at Dollar General, and just wore a red shirt and a pair of jeans.

I think total out of pocket was around $20 for him.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wanted to say thanks for the suggestions (and the commiserations!). I got the overalls covered $15 for one pair and $20 for the second. I found red and green pool table felt that I'll make due with. The shirts should be handled as I have a red long sleeve top my older can wear and the younger has a green shirt- though it is currently at his dad's house... We're getting there, but I certainly expected this to be easier!

I think next year I'll take the advice and start in August!
    CB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm glad mine is too young to choose his costume yet . I found one on sale and used a coupon and it happened to be a pumpkin costume that I was hoping to find. I plan on it doing double duty: this year for my son and in 2 years when my daughter will fit into it .