Frugal Village Forums banner

Ham Bone Bowl

6K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  SueBee49 
#1 ·
I found this recipe in a magazine way back in 1977. For some reason, I wrote the date on it when I copied it. Anyway, I cooked it the first time only because I figured it sounded so weird, it must be good. And it was! I've fixed it many times since and for many people. Almost everyone has asked for the recipe. Says it serves 10. Here goes:

1 quart water
Ham bone or 2 ham shanks (I've used ham hocks several times)
1 large onion, chopped
1 10-oz pkg frozen, chopped spinach
3 cups potatoes, cubed
1/4 tsp. dried marjoram, crushed
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 14 1/2 oz can evaporated milk (1 2/3 cups)

Combine everything except the milk and cook for about 90 minutes, covered. Remove ham bone, cut meat off, dice. Mash the potatoes slightly in the pot to thicken. Return ham meat to pot, add evaporated milk and simmer until heated.

To me, it taste kind of like a chowder. It's really cheap to make and especially since it makes so much. I think 10 servings is pushing it...maybe 6 or 8 in reality. I just bought a pack of ham hocks at walmart for a little over $3.00. Truthfully, a ham bone is better but I never have one. However, around holidays/Easter when people are fixing hams, I always try to bum a bone from someone. :)

See less See more
Reactions: renmerc446
#2 ·
Have you ever heard of a sandwich store called Heavenly Ham? You might want to see if there's one local to your area or something similar. I have one near me and they sell ham bones. They mainly a sandwich shop (mostly ham sandwiches, obviously) but they also sell the ham bones and spirial cut hams and not just at Easter.

#4 ·
Haven't heard of Heavenly Hams. I googled and there is one in the metro area but about 40 miles from me. :( We have the Honey Ham stores nearby but I never thought to see if they actually sold ham bones. I'll do that. But you have to admit, it is definitely cheaper if I can "bum" a ham bone. :) I've gotten strange looks and comments when I've asked someone to please save their ham bone for me. I like great northern beans cooked with a ham bone, too, but not as much as Ham Bone Bowl.

#5 ·
They're definitely cheaper when bummed. And ham bones do freeze pretty well. However, at least you have options now. :) I figured that even if you didn't have a Heavenly Ham local to you, there'd be something similar. Then again, getting a spiral cut ham allows for multiple uses. lol

Ok, now I'm jonesing for a ham sandwich.

#6 ·
Thought I'd just add an update for this recipe.

I made it this past weekend with ham hocks. I had plenty of meat from those. It does make a lot. Recipe says 10 servings and that is about right with 1 cup servings. Of course, I eat two cups. :) Anyway, lots left over. I put a little in a container to freeze as a test. Just thawed and ate it. Not bad at all but it was only frozen for a couple of days. I still have a bunch in the fridge so I'm going to freeze more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.