Breakfast foods that stay with you?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Breakfast foods that stay with you?

For all of you out there who have lost weight or had success in losing weight.
    I'm looking for some good breakfast options that will stay with you until lunch time, or at least until mid-morning.

While I love fruit and yogurt, these are not always the most sustaining foods.
    I also love oatmeal and can do this about 3 days a week, but I seriously need some other options.

So, what do you all suggest?
    I really would like to stay away from things with sugar, if at all possible and sugar substitutes are out too.
    As far as "breakfasty" type foods? I could care less, I'm not against eating wraps, beans, etc..
    In other words, I will eat pretty much anything for breakfast, I'm not meal specific.

Any suggestions are really appreciated!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like hard boiled eggs for protein, and you could make or buy whole wheat pancakes/waffles for a grain, and a piece of fruit. That is hearty breakfast that is also very healthy, and low in calories.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank-you, itsahumanzoo for the suggestion on the hard boiled eggs.
    I would much rather have a hard boiled one over a scrambled egg any day. Don't ask me why?
    Really the only way that I like scrambled eggs would be in a breakfast burrito type meal.

Do you have a particular mix for the whole wheat pancakes, or do you buy one already pre-mixed?

Okay, so now I have:
    oatmeal
    hard boiled eggs
    whole wheat pancakes
    yogurt with granola

Anyone else have something they would like to add?
    What DO people eat for breakfast?
    I mean other than cold cereal, and I'm not a big fan of that either.
    I mean, I don't mind a really great granola, yes, I'm aware some of it is not the most low fat, but a little sprinkled on top of a yogurt is one of my all time fav. breakfast treats.

I would love to hear from anyone else who might like to add their ideas!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I posted a really long reply yesterday, and then it all disappeared. So I'll try to reproduce it!

I follow a reduced carbohydrate diet, and have for several years. It helped me lose weight and gives me wonderful energy, taking me though the day. I used to have a droopy time mid morning, but this eating plan prevents that. Breakfast is an important time to get the protein that I need to keep me going. Anything that is sugar and starch spike my blood sugar and give me a quick burst of energy, but then it drops by mid morning. Protein is slower burning, but steady, which is why it carries me through.

Eggs are a wonderful protein choice. I have them scrambled, boiled, poached, over easy, and omelets. I might fill the omelet with cheese or mushrooms, or maybe a meat like sausage or bacon. If I'm in a hurry, I'll make boiled eggs the night before, which I can quickly eat in the morning.

Occasionally I'll have meat in the morning: bacon, pork chop, steak, sausage...... even chicken or fish. We ate fish almost every morning when we were in Japan, and I am used to it being a great breakfast meat.

I also eat cheese in the mornings: cheese sticks, cubes of cheddar, a slice of swiss, etc.

Smoothies are great in the morning. Blend some frozen berries (which don't spike the blood sugar like some other fruits do), with tofu (great protein source), a little milk or cream, and some sweetner if desired. I also throw in a scoop of vanilla protein powder for added protein power.

As you can tell, this eating plan does not include bread, muffins, donuts, rolls, or cereal. I do occasionally use some controlled carb items, such as low carb wraps to tuck eggs into. I also have purchased some low carb baking mix (like jiffy mix) at the health food store, and used it to make pancakes, served with sugar free syrup. There are also some low carb breads out there. But warning: those items are pricey. If you purchase them, be sure to get the ones that are high fiber.

Anyway, my eating plan may not be ideal for everyone, so I'm not pushing it. But it is exactly right for me. I lost weight, and have kept it off. I'm never hungry. And I have loads of energy.

Best wishes!
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Another thing I have started with the kids in school, and this is why I own 3 crock pots!!
    I make up a breakfast dish in the crockpot and it cooks on low all night, so when we all get up, breakfast is done!
    I will find the recipe for you and repost!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ForHISglory, the way you eat is the way I "feel" better throughout the day.
    I don't do well with alot of carbs or sugars, they just leave me feeling draggy and worn out, so in order to keep going throughout the whole day I've found, fruits, veggies & proteins also make me a happier person.

It's funny how our food choices can make us feel, 'eh?

But on any account, last year I lost around 20 lbs., then life happened and I've gained it all back.

Breakfast was one of those things that I did EVERY morning and I think because of that (combined with other things, of course) helped my weight loss considerably.

As for sweetners, I don't like the tase of avage nectar, I know people say they can't taste it? Um, yeah ya' can.
    So, for the most part if I can just leave sugar out of the equation, I do much better.
    Although I will say with my oatmeal or pancakes, I do have to have a drizzle of pure maple syrup, it's probably my number one "sweetner".
    Eliminating meat products are also high on my to do list right now.

Thank-you for taking the time to retype your post, I really, really appreciate it.
    Last edited by cheles2kids; 08-29-2008 at 10:04 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nvmommyx6 View Post
    Another thing I have started with the kids in school, and this is why I own 3 crock pots!!
    I make up a breakfast dish in the crockpot and it cooks on low all night, so when we all get up, breakfast is done!
    I will find the recipe for you and repost!!
    I also own 3 crockpots and absolutely LOVE them, I use them probably 4 out of 7 days a week.

When you can find the time, I would love for you to share your fav. breakfast recipes with us.
    I'm sure they could come in handy for others as well.

I think sometimes we get in these "ruts" with our cooking and just need some inspiration from others, kwim?

Thank-you again for your reply & I'll be on the look out for your recipes!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like:

peanut butter on whole wheat english muffin
    almonds and dried cranberries/apricots
    peanut butter on celery or apple slices
    cheese melted on half of a whole wheat pita
    cottage cheese and cantaloupe
    cottage cheese with mince meat or apple butter (one of my favorites)
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheles2kids View Post
    Thank-you, itsahumanzoo for the suggestion on the hard boiled eggs.
    I would much rather have a hard boiled one over a scrambled egg any day. Don't ask me why?
    Really the only way that I like scrambled eggs would be in a breakfast burrito type meal.

Do you have a particular mix for the whole wheat pancakes, or do you buy one already pre-mixed?
    I do not have a recipe. When I was doing weight watchers, I would buy frozen ones, or use a boxed mix. I'm sure with a little research you could find a great recipe for home made wheat pancakes! I do suggest using a little honey in the recipe to sweeten them, because wheat is not always as tasty as white.

Also, here's a crockpot oatmeal recipe you might enjoy.
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008...e-oatmeal.html

There are other breakfast ideas on that site as well. Here's a link to the rest. http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/search/label/breakfast
    Some may not be so healthy, but others I'm sure you could tweak them to be healthier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I once read an article about a woman that lost weight by flipping her meals....having dinner in the morning breakfast at night. Made sense to have the more filling heavy meal in the morning to fuel your body during the day and then a lighter breakfast type meal in the evening.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

bulgar, wheat, oat hot breakfast cereals (think malt o meal).... add fruits (no sugar), cinnamon, nuts

banana and yogurt, granola for texture

hot oatmeal (different that above) w/fruit, soy/rice/regular milk, cinnamon (no sugar), nuts

homemade granola & fruit (banana, apple) w/slice of wholewheat bread & pb (or other nut butter)

tortilla (medium) w/pb smeared and your choice of fruits spread on top. (options are jam, other topping), nuts and granola for crunch are good. have w/fruit juice.

small bowl of hm granola w/fruit, choice of milk (like cereal), and separate piece of fruit (banana)

fruit or veggie pizza slice (1 and piece of fruit or 2 pieces and that's all)

lotsa options

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My 2 favorites for holding me when I know I am going to have a late lunch is pbj or a lo piece of pizza. Often if we have pizza I won't eat it for dinner I will save it for the morning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day I have the the same one every day,oatmeal(the whole kind that take 10minutes to cook) and a banana and a cup of tea-if it doesn't hold me till lunch I'll have another piece of fruit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ceashels View Post
    I like:

peanut butter on whole wheat english muffin
    almonds and dried cranberries/apricots
    peanut butter on celery or apple slices
    cheese melted on half of a whole wheat pita
    cottage cheese and cantaloupe
    cottage cheese with mince meat or apple butter (one of my favorites)
    Mmmmm, Ceashels! Thank-you for your suggestions.
    Sometimes the most obvious choices are staring us right in the face!
    I had completely forgotten about cottage cheese, I love this with pineapples or peaches as well.

Also the english muffins are a great idea. I would be the only ones eating them, but I know from past experiences that they freeze wonderfully.

Thank-you again for all of your suggestions, I really appreciate it!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by happimommi View Post
    I once read an article about a woman that lost weight by flipping her meals....having dinner in the morning breakfast at night. Made sense to have the more filling heavy meal in the morning to fuel your body during the day and then a lighter breakfast type meal in the evening.
    Interesting.
    I know when I eat a bigger meal later on in the day, I get really groggy and blah feeling, but if I eat a bigger breakfast then it just keeps me going until lunchtime?

I dunno, it could work?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast