Frugal Village Forums banner

Are you a 'will start on Monday' dieter?

996 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Sara Noel 
#1 ·
Seriously I'm asking b/c I have been for most of my life.....:lol:

I used to wait till Monday and then when by say, Wednesday afternoon I was off the wagon, eating everything in sight I had 'blown it for the week' already! Then I had to wait till Monday again....(didn't wanna screw up a nice weekend by not eating every.single.thing I wanted...LOL ) ........ aahhhhh, I wonder why I couldn't lose weight?

Now everyday is a new opportunity to do right by me.....when I eat things I shouldn't (and I do, often) I just drink lots of water, try to eat some fruit and move on. I don't beat myself up over it. Even over the fact that I gained 5 pounds over the Christmas holiday. Life is like that. I just have to learn to work around it. I'm back on track again, working out, eating right and drinking lots and lots of water. The weight will be gone before long, then I'll concentrate on the next five pounds. How about you? How are you planning and coping with when and how to begin again?

#2 ·
I used to be like this, too. If I "messed" up I would just keep messing up until Monday, or New Years, or whatever the next "start date" was. This year I ate well over what I should have and gained a few pounds. Instead of waiting until New Years day to start eating right I started this past Sunday. It's better to get a head start on it!

#3 ·
I used to do that too. I am much better about my choices these days and tend to do well at home but horrible at parties and other events. Over all I'm still happy with my progress and try to view each meal as the beginning point.

#4 ·
I am guilty of doing it for the day. If my eating plan goes horribly wrong at 11a, it is very hard for me to not consider the day a total loss and just ignore all the good habits. But by the next morning, I'm usually motivated to get back to basics.

When I was learning to shoot, my firearms instructor talked about how a lot of people psych themselves out negatively when they throw a shot. You shoot, and the hole is nowhere near where it should be, so you get all worked up and are still thinking about the first shot during your next shot, worrying about it, which ruins your concentration to make the next one accurately. His philosophy is that once you pull that trigger, that bullet is gone. There is nothing you can do about it, you can't get it back, so if it hits dead center, appreciate it, and if it hits way off the mark, be irritated, but then forget about it and get your mind focused on the next shot.

I try to apply that to my eating/working out/etc in life. If I screw up, oh, well, I screwed up. I am responsible for it, and I will live with the consequences, but I'm not going to dwell on it and let it impact me even further. I screwed up. Time to move on and do it right the next time.

#5 ·
I'm guilty of doing it by the day also. If I eat badly at 10am, then I figure, what the heck, I've screwed up the day, so I might as well eat whatever I want for the rest of the day. I need to get out of that midset and think meal-by-meal!

#7 ·
Yes! You have described me perfectly. I have good intentions, and then slip up: someone brought b-day cake to work, I drink a milkshake with the kids after school, and I figure, "Oh well, I've blown it today anyway..."

I need to focus on moving past it and get right back to my plan. After all, we're all trying to achieve that lifestyle change rather than the so-called "diet."

#8 ·
Not typically, but I did just reply I'd start on Monday on Michelle's blog. LOL But it's because everyone is here and I don't do the exercise-in-front-of-everyone thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.