Frugal Village Forums banner

Cardiolyte stress test, anyone had one?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DJ1972 
#1 ·
I am scheduled for a cardiolyte stress test on Thursday the 8th. Being a nurse, I have scheduled many of these for other patients, told them what to do prior, etc., but I have never had one personally, so I am curious. If you have had one, what was it like for you?

#2 ·
I stressed about mine that I had last spring.
It went good though. The image part of it was a piece of cake.

They thought the thread mill part of mine was a bit borderline, but the image part canceled that out. I am currently going to the heart doctor every 6 months now for a blood work check up. My father died from a heart attack, so I am thinking, they want to track me now. That and my husband has excellent insurance. Because if I did not have insurance, I would never of had the stress test done.

Reactions: DJ1972
#3 ·
They will push you on the treadmill part, but not to collapse or anything. I think you need to be able to walk the tread for about 15-20 mins for them to get a good reading on the heart function. The imagining part is easy. The only thing is having to wait 30- 45 mins for the dye to go thru your whole body. Bring something to do or read.

#4 ·
At first I was thinking this was a non stress-stress test ( a chemical one.....?) I had one a few years ago, not sure what it was called but it was a stress-stress test....:lol: . I had the I.V. stuff beforehand and was stressed on the treadmill and then had some pics taken after a while like the above posters said. It wasn't so bad, just getting winded like having to walk up hill fast for some silly reason like you're car is about to be towed away or something....snork. You'll do fine ;).

#5 ·
I perform Cardiolite(Sestamibi) stress tests for a living. Here is the procedure:

The test is a measurement of the change in blood flow from the coronary arteries into the muscle of the left ventricle from a resting state to a exercise or "stress" state A radioactive tracer is injected into a Vein (iv) will be placed.
There are several variations on the protocol by insitution, I will go over the one that I work at now.
1. Pt is interviewed for cardiac history and medications, if pt can walk then a physical stress (treadmill) will be done. If physically limited a pharmacologic (drug) test will be done by infusion.
2. Someone will place an IV into a vein in the arm, we will inject the first dose of Radioactive material (cardiolite). No side effects. It will circulate for 30 minutes.
3. the Resting images will be performed. Our images take 20 minutes. Lie on back arms up over the head, camera rotates around the chest.
4. Into the stress lab, EKG leads are placed, BP cuff. Either stress on the treadmill, until symptoms occur, max heart rate attained, or cannot tolerate anymore.
Pharmacologic (drug) stress agent is infused over time instead of exercise.
At some point in the stress the second dose of the cardiolie is injected.
5. Once recovered from the stress pt waits 30-45 min and imaging is repeated. Same set up, time, we just add EKG leads to check heart wall motion.
6. total test time 3-4 hrs
Hope this helps

#6 ·
thanks everyone! I am not having the treadmill stress test, my doc doesn't do those on women, says he read a study that showed they weren't as accurate due to the breasts and the placement of the electrodes. So, I am having the drug test. I knew it took about 4 hours, since I have recited that info to patients forever lol. I just didn't know how it actually makes you feel. Thanks for all your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.