Frugal Village Forums banner

Conditioner-only hair washing

6K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  PinkWolf 
#1 ·
I tried this a few years ago, and I'm going back to it. I have rather dry hair with sometimes-oily roots that is wavy. And I am in the process of growing it out, so I don't want to do it much damage.

I have found that the very cheapest conditioners work best for this. They have a certain amount of cleansing properties, and do a nice job. And I save $$ because I don't need shampoo.

Those of you with very oily hair may find your mileage may vary (YMMV) with this method, and need some shampooing a day or two a week. But this is making my hair sooooo soft and less frizzy.

Walgreens carries White Rain conditioner at $1 for an 18 oz. bottle(or maybe it's 20 oz., I'm too lazy to go look, LOL) --good size anyway---and it is working well.

#2 ·
I've been doing this every other day. I think I may do just the conditioner 2 days, then shampoo on the third, just conditioner 2 days, shampoo the third.... Or maybe I'll try going just conditioner 6 out of 7 days...

Reactions: cab54
#3 ·
Another conditioner mostly user here. I have super thick wavy/frizzy hair (think lion's mane) and condition 2, shampoo & condition the 3rd. I also comb thru it while rinsing with a wide-tooth comb. Seems to cut down on the knots. White Rain & Suave I swear it takes half a bottle. I've been using Herbal Essences with more success and less stress. And I got them for $1 a bottle w/ coupons =).

#13 ·
I have long, fine, thick, static prone hair. It tends to tangle easy, too. I try to remember to brush it before going to bed, and that helps with the tangling.

#5 ·
I don't think i've ever tried this. I have wavy hair but I wouldn't say it was dry. The scalp is dry but not the actual hair. Does this work on dry scalp as well??

#9 ·
Part of the reason I'm going back to this way is, I have a very dry scalp and sometimes excema. The excema has been really bad lately, and the conditioner-only method is starting to soothe it after only 2 'washings'.

Looks like I'm not the only one! Thanks for the replies. I think when my hair gets a little longer, I'll buy a little thicker, a little better conditioners. But it's rather short right now, and the cheapies are working fine.

#6 ·
My hair gets really oily, so I'm not sure if this would work, but I might try it.

I use mustard on my hair once a week to condition it. It's better than anything commercial I've ever tried. I found it as a home remedy for dandruff when DH had really bad dandruff a few years ago.

Phoeny, you might try the "mustard" treatment, for dry scalp. Just get some good old yellow mustard, "shampoo" your hair with it, and rinse really well (if you don't rinse well, you will smell faintly of a ham sandwich all day :) ). It does wonders. DH says he will never again buy a commercial dandruff product!

#7 ·
I've been doing this for a couple years. I haven't used shampoo at all for at least 6 months. I of course scrub my scalp really well with the conditioner and water. I have very thick, very frizzy hair which is now curly not frizzy thanks to this method.

#8 ·
I did this for several years without a problem, but for some reason I stopped. I am starting again.
I am sensitive to shampoos and I have found that condition only works best for me. It takes my scalp a few days to adjust, but when it does I have no dandruff problems. I have also found that each time I use shampoo I need to start over and give my scalp a few days to adjust.
I have found that more expensive thicker conditions work better for me. The cheap stuff leaves my hair limp and my scalp a mess.
I have medium length wavy hair. My hair is more curly when I just use conditioner.

#12 ·
It feels clean, looks clean and smells clean. I think the trick is to really get it wet right down to the roots and use your fingers to rub in the conditioner. I will say my hair is dry so YMMV.

Reactions: guest002 and cab54
#15 ·
I have thick straight shoulder length hair- oily at the scalp, dry on the ends. I use the conditioner method every other day. Day one is regular wash and condition. Day two is just conditioner. I only put it on the ends to sit while I shower, then during the rinse I work it through all the hair. Then back to the wash the next day. It helps with the dryness, and the hair still feels clean.

#16 ·
I think i am going to try this out. My hair is frizzy, curly, on an on and hopefully this will fix that.

#17 ·
May I suggest the book Curly Girl, it changed my hair's life. I've not only given up shampoo but only finger comb my hair and it's changed it from frizzy to curly. It'll take a couple weeks to a month to see all the results. Check out this website for the highlights of 'the method'.
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

#18 ·
Thanks for the website, joyofsix!

#19 ·
i have long wavy bushy hair. waist length.

i "conditioner only" with suave aloe and waterlily.

every few days use a clarifying shampoo.
I like white rain energizing citrus

#20 ·
Conditioner washer here. :cutie: I use cheapie conditioners only like VO5, Suave or White Rain. If I need to cleanse my scalp I use ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) w/ water or baking soda with water. I haven't used shampoo in a very long time ;)

#21 ·
I guess my hair's just not ready to go only conditioner. It feels like it needs shampoo by the 3rd day.

#23 ·
The reason that the conditioner cuts down on frizz and dryness is because it is creating a build up on your hair...Which is fine, if your not trying to style it on a regular basis. I am a hairdresser, I know all the Science behind hair problems, conditions, and products. Although your hair may feel fine now...it is important to probably use a shampoo at least once a week to get any build up off your hair and scalp, because actually the build up can create dandruff and scalp conditions. If your having problems with dry scalp/dandruff, the reason that the mustard works is because of the vinegar in it. Seborrhea Dermatitis is a condition of the skin and scalp that causes itching, flaking, and sometimes scabbing of the skin or scalp, a natural remedy to this is apple cider vinegar....I have been using the ACV on my face for this condition and along my hair line and it has cleared it up wonderfully, so I would just recommend using the vinegar instead of the mustard...less "additives" Also if you go to the doctor for this same condition the prescribe a steroid shampoo or cream...which I don't know about you..but wouldn't want to put on my body. Using the "cheap" dollar store hair products is actually a big no-no, as at first it may feel like it's doing it's job...there is not as many "conditioning agents" and buffers in it to prevent it from actually doing more harm than good. Now I'm not saying to go out and buy the most expensive stuff out there, because I know, that most people don't want to spend that much on hair products..but finding a good quality, pH balanced product will do the best for your hair. Also this seems like common sense but buy the products for your hair types...ie: if you have dry damaged hair buy a product that is made for that..."Normal" shampoo and conditioner only works for "Normal" hair...Also if you are having problems with dry frizzy hair I am going to recommend an expensive product, either Biosilk Silk serum or Chi Silk Therapy, as these products are amazing... They are very pricey, but a bottle of it will last you 6 months to a year because you need a pea sized drop in your hand each day..it will cut down on frizz and make your hair incredibly soft and shiny!

#24 ·
I can understand why some of you have trouble with conditioner-washing, esp. if you have very oily hair. My hair has always been very dry and frizzy, and this works well for me.

I agree with hotprincesscm, that I have to 'once in awhile' wash my hair with a deep cleansing shampoo, or ACV. But I try to do it when I don't have anywhere to go for a couple of days, because my hair goes RIGHT back to being frizzy, flyaway, dry, hard-to manage. :confused: Even if I follow shampooing with a good dollop of conditioner.

I don't know the science, but I have dealt with my hair for 44 years (the first 10, my mother dealt with it, LOL!) and I know this helps. Plus it saves me $$.

#25 ·
I still do this method except I use bentonite clay once a month and shampoo once every two weeks with my homemade castile soap. I do not use VO5/Suave conditioners because I develop made scalp reactions to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.