Curves?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curves?

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Curves?

Anybody have any experience with Curves?

I'm not usually someone who feels comfortable working out in a gym, but I think I need to start moving more again, and it might be nice to get out with other people, too.

Anybody ever use Curves? What did you think of it? Was it a good workout/worth the money? I think our health insurance will cover half if I use it at least 12 days a month...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My wife did not like it. Her complaint was that it was too social. We now go sometimes to Planet Fitness. She can just do her thing and leave. I think Curves was too structured for her. PF is also the least expensive gym membership I am aware of.

As perspective, at FPU she wants to just leave after the movie and not stay for the discussion.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried it...I didn't care for it. Nice people, just booooooor-ing. You just go from station to station in a circle for a freaking half hour. And if you don't like their music choice you have to try to "hear" the timing for shifting stations while your music (ear phones) is playing in your ears.
    Kace - married to Dh 13 years

Love to

Full-time homemaker, full-time college student. Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I went for about 1 year and lost about 40 pounds... but platowed.. I droped my membership there to get one at our local ymca it was cheaper and they have the same circut training area as curves and I have use of pool and most importantly the hot tub! It does get boring... and there music is not the greatest at all.... I have been told by lots of friends that zoomba classes are very fun and great for any fitness level. I am looking into takeing one.

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am a little concerned about the music, in fact that is the one thing that has been bugging me! When I stopped in today for information, they were just opening up again (closed from 1-3:30pm a few days of the week, that might be another strike against them) but then a couple of women came in. The music that started was, "There's No Business Like Show Business"!!!

Does the music vary? Maybe it depends on the individual Curves?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

no they have the oddest choices of songs. When i went they had "curves" cds that they played... they would switch them but still anoying...

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Molemommy View Post
    no they have the oddest choices of songs. When i went they had "curves" cds that they played... they would switch them but still anoying...
    Oh, dear! Maybe it doesn't matter!

I talked to my best friend tonight and she reminded me that she had done Curves about 8 years ago and she loved it. It was after her divorce and she had moved back in with her parents for awhile... anyway, after she moved into her own place, Curves wasn't convenient anymore so she stopped going. But she said she got a good workout and lost weight. She said the music wasn't too bad, maybe some 70's music in there.

So there is a variety of music?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think whether you'll like curves depends very much on your age, fitness level, and comfort level with working out in a gym.

I tried it, but it wasn't for me.

1) the music had gone waay past golden oldies into golden weirdies.

2) I'm fairly athletic and had a heck of a time getting enough of a workout without also getting the "stop showing off" stare.

3) I'm comfortable enough at the gym in general that the cozier attitude at curves kinda made me feel like I was working out in someone's living room, which is probably great for a lot of people, but wasn't very motivational for me. (Sure.. I hate the size 2 girl on the next treadmill.. but if you think I'm going to let her beat me... think again!)

4) The ubiquitous MERCHANDIZING!! Last time I had a lunch box with something on it it was spiderman. Nor does my behind need to say "curves".. That is self evident LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I went for a while, but then both Curves on West Maui closed down. The music at one was definitely a poblem in that it was just too darn loud. I think it's a great idea to get started exercising - a solid plan. If you have access to a pool, you could also tread water for 10-15 minutes a day several times a week and get a good workout too.

Please let us know what you decide to do!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Curves is great if you want to do something structured and get involved with other women in your community. You'll meet some great people, and you'll get a workout that will cover most of your body. They set out to do a specific job, and indeed will do it.

Their machines are designed to force you to use your muscles to move them both up and down, so both movements in the exercise are with force, which is good for your muscles, but there is some speculation if it's good for the joints. It can put a lot of pressure on the joints and some people come away with injuries from that.

Also, it is very structured. It's excellent for people with no real concept of how to create and maintain an individual exercise program, because everything you need to do is laid right out for you. However, it can get monotonous and dull very quickly. If you go with a friend you would likely have a better time.

And if you're not there to socialize, it might not be the place for you either. Many women go for that specific purpose. And from what I have heard, it can get catty.

Two other good things about it, however: There are no men there, so most women feel much more comfortable being "exposed" (for lack of a better term) and very often, there aren't a lot of stick thin supermodel-types to make you feel initimidated. It's great for young girls looking to lose weight, and for adult women who are a bit more modest. My grandmother and aunts go and they love it. My mother tried it, and I tried it too. Mom got bored pretty quickly and I don't like the chattiness of it.

So there's some other things to think on. You can get a week-long pass for free if you're interested. They do that so you can go in and try it for a few days and see if you like it.

If not, alternatives include the YMCA, and creating a program that you can do outside in a playground.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I go and like it. They play all sorts of music. Yes it's social if you don't want to be then don't. Nobody has ever made me feel like I didn't belong there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree on several points. The music....yuck. And they don't control it, it comes from some corporate level. It was SO boring....even for me! And I couldn't use about 1/3 of the equipment due to joint issues....
    Stinkbug

More wagging - Less barking

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    I agree on several points. The music....yuck. And they don't control it, it comes from some corporate level. It was SO boring....even for me! And I couldn't use about 1/3 of the equipment due to joint issues....
    What joints did you find it to irritate the most?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My knees are bad and most of the *leg* machines killed me. Also...any jumping type stuff....anything putting stress on my knees in general
    Stinkbug

More wagging - Less barking

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    My knees are bad and most of the *leg* machines killed me. Also...any jumping type stuff....anything putting stress on my knees in general
    That's a good thing to consider.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast