Gastric Bypass

Thread: Gastric Bypass

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Gastric Bypass

I am just wondering if anyone here has had a gastric bypass done. If not, what are your thoughts on this?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i haven't had it done. i hear it can cause so many problems though. My daughters friend did have it done though, she is only 16. and she lost a ton of weight but she has recently added a ton too. so i don't know if it is worth the health risks in the long run. JMHO.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How did she add so much weight? Was she able to stretch the pouch?

Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob Karla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dad had it done years ago, really made him sick, he also lost a lot of weight then put it back on. He also now because of it has to take vit K shots monthly I think thats how often. Honestly it wouldn't hurt me to loose 50+ but I'm not sure I'd want to do it that way...to many risks for me. JMHO

Master Dollar Stretcher dz_blonde_girl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've heard good and bad. I have a neighbor who's had it done. He also had several surgeries to remove excess skin. His eating habits are very poor and I see some of the weight coming back. An aquaintane recently had the surgery and died. He most likely had other health conditions as well. You need to discuss the pros and cons and other options with more than one physician if you are really considering this. There are diets and lifestyle changes that can be made instead.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

she lost over a hundred pounds, i don't know if she stretched the pouch or not but, she was 14 or 15 when she had it done. poor thing,but the risks of not getting enough vitamines would worry me also. i couldn't beleive they would do one on someone who was so young, i think there is a new way to do it that isn't so advasive. I agree if you are thinking about it talk to several doctors before doing anything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have researched it a lot. You have to be at least 100 lbs overweight. Taking vitamins for the rest of your life is necessary. My cousin and aunt had it done and my cousin is down to a size 8. She just filed for divorce. There were problems beforehand. As far as what I have read and learned, most of the risk lies in the fact of just plain having surgery, not the surgery itself. Someone told me that the bigger you are (400-500lbs) the more likely you are to die, just like if you are not healthy with high bp and other obesity related health probs. I am considering it and has gotten the referral from my pcp. I was just wondering what ya'll thought of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

GOOD LUCK with what ever you decide. we are here if you need to talk about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had gastric bypass surgery on June 25th of this year and was about 100 lbs overweight. I have lost 67 lbs. so far. I didn't have any problems at all and many of my health problems no longer exist. I would say research it, know what you are getting into, and proceed with caution. I had scheduled the surgery for June of 2001 and chickened out - everyone told me I would die and it scared me to death! I thought about it for another year, didn't tell many people until right before surgery, and I am very happy that I had this done. Good luck with whatever you decide. Please PM me if you have any questions~