"Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

"Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.

Isn't there a saying that goes something like 95% of what you worry about never comes to pass? I've found that to be very true.

The last two and a half years, I was under some serious stress about a situation that I couldn't control, but I put so much energy into it anyway. The lack of sleep, bad diet, talks and fights with dh, phone calls, money spent, etc. The what if's....what if's. What a waste of time it all was and a drain on my health.

Well, it never happened and the situation took care of itself. I'm mad that I let it live in my brain for so long. Maybe a fairy was looking after my family.

I wish I could take back all that wasted energy.

So, have you ever worried about something that didn't amount to a hill of beans.
    Any lessons you learned from it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Too many times Palooka!! Don't we hate things out of our control. I really think that as long as we learn this at some point in our lives - me - I learned it late. DH - learned it early = much less stress.

Learn it and then live it and share gently with others. Never beat yourself up for what might have been 'lost' (time, energy, etc) - it's all really part of the learning.

Mahalo for bringing this up now - always appropriate.
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ahhh, yeah. Too often.

The only thing I can say about it is, I just could not take the stress of it anymore. I crave peace, I just started letting go of the things I have no control over. It drives some people crazy that I seem so uncaring, but I feel so much better now. Let them have stomach ulcers, I'm done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live in Georgia, and I guess we have the oldest American alive here. She is 114. Her friend was asking her about her longevity. She said she lived so long because she minded her own business.

I think that falls into the category of not worrying about what we can not change (God's business), what others do or don't do, and what other think of us.

I have been so stressed about a genetic condition I have. How fast will it progress? Should we move to prepare? Blah, blah, blah. I have been making myself crazy over something I have no control over. I am resolving to live in the here and now!!

Loved this thread!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep. I'm a compulsive worrier. I do it less now than in years past (because, like you, I can see that almost everything I worried over did not come to pass, and those that did were WAY less tragic than my mind conjured) but I STILL do it. It must have somewhat of a genetic component because my mom and my sister are just like that, too (my sister somewhat worse than my mom and me). My faith, and prayer, has helped me a lot, but that's not something everyone can turn to, I realize. I'll be interested to read some of others' coping strategies.
    Totally debt free since January 2011.
    Fully funded Emergency Fund complete December 12, 2011! Yeah!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is I how I view most situations...When faced with something that is quite traumatic we usually go from letter A to letter Z....the truth is that most times we end up at letter K as a worst cast scenario. That's how it was with me when we were sued for our house ever that car accident we had years ago...we didn't lose it, but we did lose $30,000 of our own money after the insurance paid their limits....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Too many times, caused so much stress, leading to physical and mental health issues.

DH's fight with his own mental health, serious biopolar mania, addiction. his acting out leading to his filing for bankruptcy. Major strain on finances let alone the marriage. Me having to act as gate keeper when he was incapable of decison making during recovery.

I sat in church many times begging God to tell me what to do, give me some sign that I was doing the right thing. Begging for help and strength to make through.

Then I had a revelation (God answered) I gave all my issues to Him. Let Him guide me. I feel much better now, I thank Him everyday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A professor once gave me advice

The only thing that is worth worrying about is if something will cause you physical or spiritual death.

nothing else is a big deal.

I try to remember that but when looking at budgets and stuff I worry because it feels like it will be death but in reality it will not.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Worry is like a rocking chair. It will give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere.
    Stinkbug

More wagging - Less barking

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Taking the calm down, nothing you can do right now attitude seems to help when it is 2:00 in the morning. It is amazing how you can worry about things you can't control.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Worry is like a rocking chair. It will give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere.
    I was trying to figure where you were going with the similie as I couldn't figure out how a rocking chair would fit with not worrying.

But then rocking chairs strike fear in this mother's heart
    Last edited by imagine; 03-15-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post

I have always loved this saying!
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done
    Living debt free except the mortgage and working on that !!!

Be content with what you have;
    Rejoice in the way things are,
    When you realise there is nothing lacking,
    the whole world belongs to you.

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage
    “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires…courage.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back..." Maya Angelou

"Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." (Confucius 551-478 BC)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I needed this thread today ... thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I've spent waaaaaay too much time worrying about my son's delays. The statistic gives me hope that all my worries will be wasted time and he will be the successful, happy adult I'm working towards.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have spent so much time and energy worrying over things that never happened. It was situations that I couldn't imagine in a million years that happened and knocked me down.
    "Breathe in, breathe out, move on."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast