Any weight loss/strength gaining recommendations?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Any weight loss/strength gaining recommendations?

I've been going to the gym for three months. When I started, I was at 150. At the peak of my weight loss, I was down to 137. But now, I've gained back about five pounds and I feel like I'm not getting any stronger.

This is my workout:

10 minutes on the treadmill (increasing my speed every three minutes)
    10 minutes on either the crosstrainer or the stationary bike

stretching

3 sets of 20 situps
    3 sets of 12 leg lifts (on alternating sides)
    3 sets of 10 pushups (supported by knees)
    3 sets of 20 alternating leg lifts
    3 sets of 10 soccer kicks (with a 15 pound weight attached to my ankle)
    3 sets of 10 lat pulls (behind my head and down to my chest) @ 70 pounds
    3 sets of 8 pushdowns @ 35lbs
    3 sets of 12 seated longpulls @70lbs
    3 sets of 8 weighted dips @ 50lbs
    3 sets of 8 weighted pullups @ 50lbs

I drink two full 17oz canteens of water when I work out as well.

I try to watch my diet. It's not a complete caloric restriction, but I'm thinking it's a good diet. I eat enough calcium and carbs and protein during the day to supplement. But something just isn't right.

I'm looking for toning, fat burn and weight loss. I'd like to be down to 130 and I know it's possible because I used to weigh 120. I go to the gym three times a week and work out for an hour at a time (and that's continuous).

Is there something I can change?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well I've been doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred since mid August. I did not do this 30 consecutive days, I was averaging 3-4 days a week, now I'm down to about 3 days a week.

I'm also on WW. I had lost my weight before doing Jillian. I wanted to "tone". I have to say I have seen amazing results. Again, my weight has stayed the same but my shape is changing considerably and I have increased the weight I use during her workouts. I have dropped two pants sizes and I'm getting comments like crazy.

You can view a snipet of the dvd on collegevideo.com. Its a 20 minute workout that really concentrates on core strength. I walk on the treadmill a couple of days a week and I do Jillian.

Walmart sells the DVD for less than $10.
    Judy

never loose site of the big picture

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Do NOT pay attention to the numbers on your scale. Pay attention to the way your body looks and how you feel.

click me.
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My problem is that, sadly, I can't stand the way my body looks. I'm not trying to fit back into my high school clothes, but when my thighs keep my jeans from going on, that makes me sad.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome to your 30's.

First you have lost a lot of weight in 3 months. It takes time so do not get discouraged. Ask someone at the gym what they might recommend. I see you have children is there anyway you can do more active family activities together during the week?

When I was first starting a weightloss regime it took 3 months before I saw any weight loss. Just remember slow and steady is the best way to loose the weight. Also, stay away from any hydrogenated oils or high-fructose sugars. This will basically cut out most of the processed foods.

Right now I am on a wheat and dairy free diet. The pounds have simply melted off with a daily walking regime. The thought of going wheat and dairy free is not fun at all for me but I really am starting to believe that it is the healthiest way for me to live. Obviously I have some type of intolerance to the foods.

Just keep plugging away at it and find out as much as possible about proper ways to exercise and eat while you are at the gym. You will figure out what works best for your body and lifestyle. Don't get discouraged if you stop loosing the weight for a couple of weeks. Just ask a professional at the gym what they might suggest you do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you been doing the same workout for a while? Your body may be accustomed to it. You may need to change it up a bit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd branch out from the machines and increase the amount of cardio. The best results I've ever had came from alternating three days/week of cardio kickboxing with a strength training routine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't weigh myself I measure that is where I see a difference. I do the TurboFire by Beach Body and it works great. I saw quick results within the first week. I don't like going to the gym it is expensive and I don't like to workout infront of men. Maybe you need to change your routine because your body is use to the same moves. Good luck.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mix in some hiit with it. Killer but good. That's how they train on the Biggest Loser. (not that you need that. LOL)

I do this sometimes and it saves a ton of time not working out. It's the same thing with Jillian's DVD's.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I actually found something that really, really kicked my butt... but it's such an awesome workout!

BODYROCK.tv | Fitness Advice, Workout Videos, Health & Fitness | Bodyrock.tv

I paired it with some mixed-martial arts weight training and a bit of cardio. And I'm on recovery day 2. My legs sure did pay for that workout... that's for sure

You can do this workout at home and they use sand bags and dip bars, but if you have a staircase and a nice weight, you can do it that way too. The interval timer is crucial, though. I just fire up the one in my iPod Touch and do the workout.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hello everyone,
    This is my 2nd post. I am Steve and have reached goal a while ago. Lost a total of 291 pounds.

My highest weight: 475 pounds in 1988
    My first diet I reduced my weight down to 384 pounds in 1995
    A total loss of: 91 pounds

I stayed at 384 pounds for approx. 13 years, gaining 20, losing 20 again and again…

Then I got serious about my weight loss in April of 2008 starting at a weight of 384 and reaching my goal weight of 184 pounds in February 2011. This was a loss of 200 pounds from weight loss restart in April of 2008
    Current Weight reached in February of 2011 of 184 pounds taking 34 Months to complete.

The reason I am here is to keep busy, share with others, make friends, learn from others and have some fun. I am afraid of gaining back my weight now that I am on maintenance so I keep involved. I also love this topic of weight loss. So as some of you know, maintenance at times could be tougher than losing weight. I will need your help to keep me honest.

Thanks for your time,
    Steve

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you ever looked into Chalean Extreme? The differences I see are astounding!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went to a weight training class several years ago.
    We used no machines; it was held in a gym at a school.
    We used an exercise mat and small weights. Joyce Vedral has several books out. Those are the exercises that we did. I did this for 8 years. I was in the best shape of my life. Felt great; had great stamina and was very toned. We started out with 3# weights and gradually went up as we felt we could do the exercises. Sorry to say the exercise instructor quit doing the class. Forgot to say that we went to class 2 days a week for 1 hour a class.

Great job Steve; we all know how hard it is to lose weight!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You have to burn more calories than you take in, which sounds easy but really isn't.

10 minutes on a treadmill isn't very much, especially since all you are really doing is lifting your feet while the ground moves underneath you. Try running on a path for 10 minutes, and I'm guessing you will be far more exhausted.

I would increase the amount of cardio you do, and look for non-machine ways to do it. Jog outside, for instance. Otherwise, raise the front of the treadmill as much as possible, and increase resistance on the other devices.

I've also been hearing and reading that the lat pulldowns behind the head aren't a great idea. It puts your rotator cuff in an awkward position, and can lead to problems.

Rotator Cuff

The rotator cuff consists of four muscles -- supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres major and subscapularis. These small muscles help stabilize and control the movements of your ball-and-socket shoulder joint. The rotator cuff is prone to injury, especially if you perform lat pulldowns so the bar comes down to the back of your neck rather than the front. Because these muscles are located deep inside your shoulder, treating them when injured can be difficult.

Read more: Muscles Used In A Lat Pulldown | LIVESTRONG.COM