joined a gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: joined a gym

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default joined a gym

I joined Planet Fitness a while back before it opened. Then it opened and I didn't go right away. LOL

I wanted a buddy to go with and Gabe wasn't cleared to exercise post-surgery (he'll be joining very soon) and I was a big chicken over going the first time alone.

I'll spare you the details on how neurotic I am over going places for the first time. It's not isolated to only this particular place. I don't have gym fear, I just have new thing/place fear. LOL

Anyway, so I went with my neighbor yesterday and alone today. I'm feeling addicted to the treadmill already and have been saving various treadmill workouts from online.

Any other treadmill addicts? Or anyone else join Planet Fitness?
    Follow me on Twitter!

Follow me on:
    Pinterest

A monumental event can happen any day." --Peale
    "Leap and the net will appear. --John Burroughs

Would the child you once were be inspired by the adult you've become?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think I could hear all the frugal folks mumbling that they could walk or run for free outside. Don't be harshing my mellow. LOL Planet Fitness is only $10/month.

I'll broaden this topic a bit.

Anyone else at any gym? On any exercise routine? Whatcha DO-ing? LOL

Greebo, help me out. Tell me about your biking!
    Follow me on Twitter!

Follow me on:
    Pinterest

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is like Jerry Macguire where he's like who's with me?

"Who's coming with me besides... "Flipper" here?"

LOL
    Follow me on Twitter!

Follow me on:
    Pinterest

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats on getting out and getting active! My wife's a treadmill addict too. We have no gym here though. I tell her all the time to just go outside, but no, we had to go and buy one. She makes some points about the weather, wanting to walk while the little guy is sleeping, etc, etc. She says it's also easier to keep a steady pace.

I use freeweights and dumbbells from time to time, but the majority of my exercising is also my recreation: hiking, mountain biking, cross country skiing, canoeing. Then a lot of the other things I enjoy are physically demanding, like packing moose quarters out of the bush, hanging them in the garage, digging snowmobiles out of deep snow or quads out of the mud, cutting firewood for the cabin, that kind of stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am ashamed to post. I got a membership awhile back. DD said she would go w/ me. She hasn't so I haven't. I need to get over this. I am afraid i will cause myself injury or not be able to do it.
    It is costing $60. a month so frugal fritz there too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh go go go. This is me encouraging you.

I am seriously a weirdo over going places for the first time alone. I mean like with things like even doctor appointments, I have to do a drive by the night before. I shouldn't share all these little idiosyncrasies about myself. LOL But let's just say I drove by Planet Fitness a few times just seeing how bad the parking was at what hours. LOL Omg I'm going to shut up on this now.

Anyway, you can start so slow and easy on a treadmill and have a way to hold on if needed. I always loved the Walk Away the Pounds series by Leslie Sansone, so the treadmill is great for me.

My beginner interval workout is 40 minutes long, but you could start out with just 15 minutes (or more or less) and see how you feel.

My second day was so much easier than the first and it's all uphill (haha) from here.

Don't waste your membership money. I'm teasing because Gabe used to pay for us to have a gym membership through the fitness center at his job. I went for a while and then not at all. oops. The weird thing is that I like having a buddy sometimes, but I also like just shutting the world out and having all the time to myself to just think.
    Follow me on Twitter!

Follow me on:
    Pinterest

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I go to the gym 3-4x/week. I'm not much of a machine person, but I love the classes (kickboxing, yoga, spin) and access to the pool.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My BFF just joined a PF, turns out they are being purchased by Lynn Brick of Brick Bodies. They are opening up their market to the "non-brick bodies of non- professional body builders."

WTG!
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank you thats sweet. I have just worked myself up to stupid on this issue.
    As far as weird-I used to rehearse before making a phone call. I was very shy growing up and we were forbidden from using the phone. Won't kids today misunderstand that? But it was an adult only thing when I grew up and cost money! Heck my parents had a party line until about 10 years ago.

As far as going I usually want to go sun. only to realize it's not supervised then which is bad news for an excercise clutz.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the therapy department at our hospital has a thing that you pay so much a month and you get a special key so you can go and exercise anytime day or night..so...I started at the beginning of Feb. and have been going at least 3 days a week or more...I can't go and walk on sidewalks or any hard surfaces because I have bad knees but the things at the hospital are made for people who need therapy so ok for my knees....I can tell the difference already I have more energy my knees don't hurt as much and I HAVE LOST SOME WEIGHT......so for me paying for my work out is worth it

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    Thank you thats sweet. I have just worked myself up to stupid on this issue.
    As far as weird-I used to rehearse before making a phone call. I was very shy growing up and we were forbidden from using the phone. Won't kids today misunderstand that? But it was an adult only thing when I grew up and cost money! Heck my parents had a party line until about 10 years ago.

As far as going I usually want to go sun. only to realize it's not supervised then which is bad news for an excercise clutz.
    Gabe and I together have quite a few quirks, but thankfully we don't have any of the same quirks. LOL He can be weird over the phone. I never really noticed for a long time and then it hit me, hey why is he always asking me to call for a pizza or call and make an appointment or call for anything? LOL

I am weird about ordering at a drive thru. LOL I feel like I don't have enough time and rather than take the time I have coming to me because it's my turn, I just quickly order anything that isn't even what I really want. I've actually had to write down what I think I might want beforehand. As if the menus are sooo complicated. LOL Oh heck, I really should stop sharing these things. LMAO I am really odd over a lot of little common things.

So I'm off to hit the treadmill.

Go Go Go to the gym soon and hop on an exercise bike or treadmill (or whatever) for even a few minutes. I so want you to follow through with something that you want to do for yourself. Even if it isn't working out the way you initially planned.
    Follow me on Twitter!

Follow me on:
    Pinterest

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I laughed about the drive thru because i went to KFC yesterday. A bit treat. The girl kept trying to close out my order. I wanted stuff for 3 people but their VERY lazy at this one and encourage you not to order as quickly as possible.

Everyone has a bunch of weird stuff though. My DH yells into the phone... I won't veiw the person at a funeral,never seen a deceased person. I never eat after anyone else. I was furious when DD's BF coughed on my dinner at my last bday and haven't invited him out w/ us since (his table manners suck but he didn't cough on my dinner on purpose). I gave him my dinner to take home.

As far as the gym. I am trying.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by low-1 View Post
    Congrats on getting out and getting active! My wife's a treadmill addict too. We have no gym here though. I tell her all the time to just go outside, but no, we had to go and buy one. She makes some points about the weather, wanting to walk while the little guy is sleeping, etc, etc. She says it's also easier to keep a steady pace.

I use freeweights and dumbbells from time to time, but the majority of my exercising is also my recreation: hiking, mountain biking, cross country skiing, canoeing. Then a lot of the other things I enjoy are physically demanding, like packing moose quarters out of the bush, hanging them in the garage, digging snowmobiles out of deep snow or quads out of the mud, cutting firewood for the cabin, that kind of stuff.
    I'd say you get plenty of exercise.

I have to agree with your wife and her points on having a treadmill. I have wanted one for a while, but have sort of blown my chances of getting one when hubby agreed to buying me a stationary bike and it hasn't been used as often as I had hoped. I will use the bike a lot more now that I am motivated, but a treadmill costs a whole lot more than an exercise bike and takes up a lot more space. Hard to buy one when the gym membership is dirt cheap.

I do love being outside and enjoying the fresh air and scenery, but I also like being able to control my walking on a treadmill. If I get tired, I can hop off versus walk all the way back home, too. LOL Plus, I am a bit weird about walking alone. Even though we live in a safe area, there are a lot of wackos out there. Man, I just admitted another weirdo thing about me.
    Follow me on Twitter!

Follow me on:
    Pinterest

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    I laughed about the drive thru because i went to KFC yesterday. A bit treat. The girl kept trying to close out my order. I wanted stuff for 3 people but their VERY lazy at this one and encourage you not to order as quickly as possible.

Everyone has a bunch of weird stuff though. My DH yells into the phone... I won't veiw the person at a funeral,never seen a deceased person. I never eat after anyone else. I was furious when DD's BF coughed on my dinner at my last bday and haven't invited him out w/ us since (his table manners suck but he didn't cough on my dinner on purpose). I gave him my dinner to take home.

As far as the gym. I am trying.
    I have a germ um, problem, too. Not fanatical (no excessive hand washing or needing a sterile environment) , but mostly food related. I couldn't do the coughed on food either. Not sure if anyone would feel OK with that one. LOL

I find it just a wee bit weird that so few people are sharing anything about their exercise. Come on people!
    Follow me on Twitter!

Follow me on:
    Pinterest

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, you really are letting all your secrets out Sara. Happy you are finding something you enjoy doing and are taking that leap of faith, go you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast