I Think Our Daughter has Type 1 Diabetes!!!!!!!!!!!!
    QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I Think Our Daughter has Type 1 Diabetes!!!!!!!!!!!!

DH has mentioned a few times that he thinks DD1 (8 years old) shows signs of diabetes. (His brother has Type 1, and his mom has Type 2.) I've brushed it off not thinking he was overly serious. When he mentioned it again this evening, I googled signs and symptoms of Type 1 diabetes. 6 out of the 8 signs (and I can't remember them all) DD1 shows!! She is quite thirsty all the time (we pretty much only serve water), goes pee A LOT (from all the drinking), a BIG appetite (immediately after a large meal and dessert she'll still complain she's still hungry), no major weight gain from all the food she eats, headaches and sore eyes. We recently had her eyes tested (she has had glasses for about a year) and the doctor said that her problem eye is improving...which is good.

Her energy level is moderate. She often plays and runs around with DD2, so it's not like she lazes around all day saying 'I'm tired'. We also sign the girls up for soccer and swimming in the summer and skating or swimming in the winter.

I'm going to phone our family doctor tomorrow to book an appointment. I don't think we'll get in to see him until Monday.

What do they do to test for diabetes? If your child has Type 1 diabetes, how did you discover it? Is diabetes hard to contol? Is it very stressful?

I don't know very much about this disease and any personal stories or thoughts would be helpful.
    If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else.

2014 Lose-A-Pound-A-Week Challenge
    On November 8th - 135.6 lbs
    1st goal will be 135 lbs
    2nd goal will be 132 lbs
    3rd goal will be 130 lbs
    4th goal will be 128 lbs
    5th goal will be 126 lbs

November No Spend Challenge /6 No Spend Days
    8th (), 9th (), 10th (), 11th (), 12th (), 13th (), 14th (), 15th (), 16th (), 17th (), 18th (), 19th (), 20th (), 21st (), 22nd (), 23rd (), 24th (), 25th (), 26th (), 27th (), 28th (), 29th (), 30th ()

Personal
    Pay off my Mortgage
    $58,186.94 (as of November 14th, 2014 - 5 years, 4 months)
    $73,670.29 (as of December 29th, 2013 - 7 years, 0 months left)
    $94,506.12 (as of December 21st, 2012 - 9 years, 2 months left)
    $108,631.38 (as of December 3rd, 2011 - 12 years, 7 months left)
    Pay off my Line of Credit#1 - General
    $21,070.10 (as of November 14th, 2014)
    $19,058.22 (as of July 28th, 2014)
    $10,784.38 (as of December 20th, 2013)
    $20,330.65 (as of June 7th, 2013)
    Pay off My Line of Credit #2
    $29,186.74 (as of November 14th, 2014)
    $36,457.09 GRAND TOTAL
    Breakdown of Grand Total - see below
    $828.42 undercoating for new van
    $1,148.65 winter tires & rims for new van
    $1,743.27 eavestrophs on our house
    $1,736.75 new walkway in the front of our house
    $31,000 new-to-us van

Winning at money is 80% behaviour and 20% head knowledge....Hey, if it were easy, every moron walking would be wealthy.
    ~Dave Ramsey

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Type 1 means your body never produced enough or any insulin from early childhood (I could be wrong) but needs insulin from the get go. For children, sometimes they have an insulin pump installed vs having to do multiple injections daily to make it easier.

Type 2 means your body stopped producing insulin later on in life - usually called 'adult onset' diabetes. This can be treated by lifestyle changes with proper diet and exercise. You may be given pills and/or insulin to help control your blood sugars.

Type 2's can be switched to Type 1. Type 2 can be reversed by lifestyle changes if detected in time. Diabetes is only scary if untreated/uncontrolled.

I wouldn't worry too much about it - googling potential health issues can cause more scares then necessary. I'd wait to see what your doctor suggests before panicking and remember, its not the end of the world if she does have diabetes. It just means adjusting your lifestyle so you can enjoy it better

If I recall correctly, they do a glucose test - they will test your daughter's blood sugar then have her drink some sort of a glucose solution then wait around a few hours then retest the blood sugar to see how well her body processes it. Then they will go from there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My cousin has Type 1 diabetes from an early age, she is 54 now and in good health. Only problem, her doctor told her not to get pregnant. So she adopted two daughters and they are all very happy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My suggestion would be, if she does have diabetes, to switch the entire family to her dietary requirements, for the most part. Otherwise it could make her feel like the odd one out, and also as we all know, temptations are hard to resist. Keeping foods around she shouldn't have would just set her up to fail, and there's so much at stake you can't afford to let that happen.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

hmmmmmmm......my daughter drinks alot, pees alot cause she drinks alot....eats alot of food and is always hungry and doesnt gain a whole lot of weight i mean she does gain...last year she was 84 lbs and 4 ft 8 inches and this year she is 92 lbs and 5 ft....woh! and is still growing...and she has lots of headaches however the doc thinks her headaches are related to her allergies and just upped her allergy meds....makes me wonder...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Take a deep breath and relax. Diabetes is a very manageable condition. As long as you keep yourself informed and put into play what your medical team suggests, everything will be OK.

First, there are not any foods she will not be able to have. Being a diabetic, and a very informed and knowledgeable one, nothing irritates me more than being at a family event and having a well meaning, but ill-informed, family member come up to me and say I cannot have the slice of pie, or a dinner roll because I am diabetic. It is all be about moderation and learning how to your body reacts to certain foods. For example, I know my potato chips will send my glucose levels soaring sky high, but a small cupcake barely does anything. I know with the chips, I need to make sure I tell my insulin pump to give me a little extra insulin, but not with the cupcake. I can eat anything on this earth I want as long as I know what the number of carbohydrates per serving is along with what the serving size for that food is. I take that information along with what my blood glucose level is at that moment, punch it into my insulin pump and I am good to go.

As a family you will most likely see a diabetic nutritionist to learn about portion sizes in relation to carbohydrate counts and how that effects blood glucose levels. Knowing the serving size for various foods and the carbohydrate counts that go with is a key component. She will have to always think before she eats, count the carbohydrates in her food, check her blood glucose levels, and adjust her insulin to go along with the two. It is never a bad idea to get as many diabetic education classes as you can get. I ask my endocrinologist to send me to diabetic nutrition/education classes once a year. I like having them as a refresher and to learn about new things that may have been discovered, approved or changed. Sometimes I do a one on one class and other times I go to ones with other diabetics.

I fought an insulin pump for years. I was afraid of everything about it. But, it's really not so bad. I won't lie, I don't love it. I am not a fan of having a piece of medical equipment hooked to me 24/7. It does get in my way at times, but for the most part I forget it is there. Injecting myself once every three to four days with the pump is so much nicer than giving myself between 6-10 shots a day like I use to.

She will need to have her eyes checked by an ophthalmologist, not an optometrist, every six months, or at the very least, once a year. Same is true with dental, every six months. I feel certain her pediatrician will refer her to a pediatric endocrinologist. If not, I would ask for a referral to one.

She will learn about how to treat and what the warning signs for a high and for a low. You will need to meet with her school nurse to find out what they need you to provide (full sugar soda, glucose tablets, insulin, etc...) for her care while at school. I know the school here asks that the parents bring a couple of cokes and/or a bottle of glucose tablets to keep in the nurse's office in case of a low while at school. If the child is on shots, the parents also bring the needed medications (insulin, syringes, alcohol swabs) to be kept in the nurse's office as well. Also, some forget to inform the P.E. teacher/coaches. Since exercise tends to bring levels down, the probability of her having a low while outside playing goes up a little. Again, it is another one of those things that can vary from person to person. I can go for a two mile walk and it does nothing to my levels. But, you put me in a pool doing laps and my levels go down FAST.

One last note...I had been a diabetic for years before anyone told me cold and other OTC medicines can play havoc with your levels. That combined with when you are sick your levels have a tendency to go up can cause a diabetic to have a really high high. If she gets a cold, or takes OTC meds, ask her endocrinologist first. There are cold and OTC meds made just for diabetics.

Anyway, deep breath and relax. It boils down to being informed and putting your information into play. Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

have you made the appointment yet?
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 10. Type 1 diabetes happens when the body destroys the insulin producing cells in the pancreas. This is the sequence that occurred with my daughter: first she had symptoms of a flu which she got over within a day. Then over the course of about six weeks, I noticed she was very thirsty, peed a lot, was so tired she fell asleep on the floor in the middle of the day. I was in denial so I didn't take her to the doctor right away, even though I told a co-worker I was afraid she had diabetes. About a week before I took her to the doctor, I noticed she was eating huge amounts of food, and she was losing a lot of weight. She was a small girl to begin with, so she looked almost gaunt.
    As others have said, diabetes is a more manageable condition now. There are insulin pumps which help keep insulin levels in much better control than the multiple shots per day that my daughter had to give herself.
    First, I hope your daughter doesn't have diabetes. Her energy levels are not low, so I think that is a positive sign. Second, if she does have diabetes, I hope you have good health insurance, as it is expensive.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't booked the appointment yet. I'm going to make the call this afternoon for next Friday afternoon. Next week she and DD2 are at a day camp, so I don't want them to miss time there while DD1 is at a doctor's appointment.

I'm not sure she has diabetes...she just shows a few signs. Her energy level is average so I think we'll discover she's just fine. Which is why it's not a panic to get her to the doctor's office asap.

We have decent extended health thru my husband's work. If she is a diabetic, I think we'd pay 10% out of pocket for her meds. Then we could claim that amount as "medical expense" on our income tax when the time comes.

1st goal will be 135 lbs
    2nd goal will be 132 lbs
    3rd goal will be 130 lbs
    4th goal will be 128 lbs
    5th goal will be 126 lbs

8th (), 9th (), 10th (), 11th (), 12th (), 13th (), 14th (), 15th (), 16th (), 17th (), 18th (), 19th (), 20th (), 21st (), 22nd (), 23rd (), 24th (), 25th (), 26th (), 27th (), 28th (), 29th (), 30th ()

Personal
    Pay off my Mortgage
    $36,457.09 GRAND TOTAL
    $31,000 new-to-us van

Winning at money is 80% behaviour and 20% head knowledge....Hey, if it were easy, every moron walking would be wealthy.
    ~Dave Ramsey

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Please let us know how it all goes. Your mind will feel better once you have facts to deal with.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry for not posting the answer sooner. The doctor asked questions, took a look at her and did a urine test. She does NOT have Diabetes! Praise the Lord! I was definately scared when I started this thread, but it looks like all is well!!

1st goal will be 135 lbs
    2nd goal will be 132 lbs
    3rd goal will be 130 lbs
    4th goal will be 128 lbs
    5th goal will be 126 lbs

Personal
    Pay off my Mortgage
    $36,457.09 GRAND TOTAL
    $31,000 new-to-us van

~Dave Ramsey

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

good news!!