Thinking of cutting my own hair again
    Registered User Lizard Huntress's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Thinking of cutting my own hair again

Some years back when I was in school full time, I lived a more frugal lifestyle out of sheer need. One of the things I gave up was professional haircuts, and I managed to cut my own hair reasonably well for several years. Now that my situation has improved, I've been seeing a wonderful hairdresser for 8 years. I consider her a friend.

But I'm thinking about going back to cutting my own hair again. I love my visits to her, they are so relaxing. And she never pressures me about what to do with my hair, and she does a fantastic job. It breaks my heart to think of telling her I won't be coming to see her.

I've also thought about just "cutting down" to a few times a year, and doing without the color and letting my gray hairs re-emerge. That's not appetizing either.

It's harder when I do "have the money" and it's a choice to give something up, especially something that I love. I have set a few luxuries for myself, but this just seems like it gets out of control sometimes, especially how much the hair coloring costs. And sometimes I miss that feeling of pride I had when I did something for myself that I thought "only a professional" can do. Though I don't feel so competent about coloring my own hair...

So obviously I have some mixed feelings about this.

Anyone else experienced "breaking up" with a perfectly good hairdresser?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are you sure the gray would not look well? I am about half-half and actually do get plenty of compliments. I have let it go long again (about down to armpit level.) Another benefit is the hair is much healthier without the coloring process. My cut is very simple so I usually just go to a walk-in place as needed and have conversations w/ whoever is cutting it. Some people have interesting stories.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hair is one of the few places I splurge on myself. I go twice a year to have it trimmed, at the end of winter and the end of summer. I am not at the point where I have to have the roots dyed, but I do sometimes pay to have it professionally colored because it's long and there's just too much to do it properly at home from a box.

I can see cutting back on the cuts to a few times a year if you keep it in a style that does not need much work. Coloring at home is easy and painless if you have shorter hair. The dyes are much nicer than that stuff we used 30 years ago.

If cost is an issue, check out some hair styling schools in your area, they often offer inexpensive services so the students can get real life experience.

I only broke off one 'long term relationship' with a hairdresser once, she kept moving around to different salons. She was good but I got tired of chasing her around town.
    Come on people now
    Smile on your brother
    Everybody get together
    Try to love one another
    Right now ~The Youngbloods

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In the last year, I have let my hair grow to a style that does not need constant attention. I get color/ highlights & cut about 3 times a year.

Why don't you have a conversation with your hair dresser & explain your concerns. She may have some suggestions.

Alternately, I do agree with the beauty school option. The vocational schools are open to the public as well as the stand alone beauty schools.

Having said all that, there is a tool set available for do it yourself hair cutting that my daughter has. There is a guide that clips on your hair so you get it even & the angle right. She has longer hair & she likes trimming it herself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I get a professional cut once a year, if that. I get it cut short about in May and then just trim my bangs myself the rest of the year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    Are you sure the gray would not look well? I am about half-half and actually do get plenty of compliments. I have let it go long again (about down to armpit level.) Another benefit is the hair is much healthier without the coloring process. My cut is very simple so I usually just go to a walk-in place as needed and have conversations w/ whoever is cutting it. Some people have interesting stories.
    Yay! I have made ten posts and can finally reply!

This is a very good question. I haven't tried out the gray with my haircut now (shoulder length with bangs) and I think it would be worth a shot. I know it's just the whole "I don't want to look old!" thing. But at the same time I want to feel that I can appreciate who I am, as I am. And I am right there with you on the health. On the one hand, my hair is fine and the coloring gives it body. But on the other hand, I almost always have it up in a pony tail. So this is good food for thought.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is some very good advice! My hairdresser never pressures me to do anything, and she knows perfectly well that coloring is pricey and that the salon she works for is pricey compared to others. I am guessing if I told her I wanted to switch to fewer times a year, she would completely understand. I see her next week. I'll have a heart-to-heart with her.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have to laugh. I've said for many many years I'd never be an "older" woman and still wearing a ponytail ( which I've always wore since a child )... yet here I am. I'm 63 and always either a ponytail or twisted and in a clip were it cascades down. Last time I had it cut semi short I couldn't draw it back and the hair drove me out of my mind on my face, on my neck and just in general.
    I've also always said Clairol ( haven't used Clairol in years either but the point is still the same ) was my best friend and I'd better not be dying and have gray hair. Since the last cut it's only blonde on the very last part and underneath is dark. I have the boxes but it's hard for me to color with the length and arm/shoulder issues. I think I'm going to have to whack some off to make it easier. Only one who can cut my hair to suit me is my oldest in TN. She won't be here till Thanksgiving and it'll be at my butt by then. She cuts length first then "rips" down from the crown about 3 inches full length.
    My hair grows fast. I may whack some off soon myself until she comes cause I know that no salon is going to please me. Last time I got it cut I demanded a full refund. They wanted to "fix it" to which I replied... You've done screwed it up twice ( once before ) why would I let you touch it again. I got the refund.

Nope... don't see gray in my future as long as I can color it and I'll probably die with a ponytail or clip cascade.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge/ June
    $16.14

Grocery Challenge/June
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.57

Eat Out No More June
    Goal 20
    Accomp/18

No Spend Challenge June
    Goal 12
    Accomp/8

Change Jar 2017
    $

Christmas Fund 2017
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm 52 and I still have hair nearly to my hind end. I actually find it easier to care for than when I had it shorter, I trim and feather the bangs and around the jaw line, but my dd trims the back. Its a honey blond color....after experiencing with a darker
    color when I was in my teens, I haven't touched hair color since....I have vowed to let it gray naturally, and I am please with the outcome. My gray has blended in very well with the bang/jawline area...I'll just let nature take its course

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

btw...that is me in the pic with my youngest little monkey

12. Similar Threads

1. Any tricks to cutting your own hair?
      By kjarrett in forum Health and beauty
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 05-30-2012, 11:58 AM
    2. advice for cutting boys hair
      By frugal is fun in forum Health and beauty
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 12-19-2010, 08:19 AM
    3. Cutting off my hair