Frugal Village Forums banner

Who else has had their gallbladder out?

4K views 54 replies 33 participants last post by  Patty A 
#1 ·
Just curious...

Most of you know I had mine removed last February after a long battle.  Many of the problems in my pregnancy were related to my gallbladder, and then I spent some time in the ER last year at this time when the darn thing started acting up again.  When pregnant, my side hurt constantly (sharp pain that took my breath away at times), and I couldn't keep anything but broth and crackers down most of the time-- supposedly this was gallbladder related.  Last year, I had incredible pain right in the center of my ribcage that sent me to the ER, where the pain was eventually traced back  to my gallbladder.  That's when the docs decided it had to come out, and by then I was definitely ready.

I haven't had any problems since it was removed.  In fact, I felt so much better after it was gone that I wished I'd done it sooner.  It was completely dead, labeled as "non functioning" on my medical chart, so my theory is that my body doesn't really miss it at all. :)

What's your story?

#2 ·
I had mine out on May 27, 1999.......oops, I posted earlier about this and said 2000, sorry.........;)

I suffered for three years total with gallstones.........thinking it was just a horrendous episode of gas that I couldn't release...........:eek: Finally I went to the ER, Matthew kind of forced me, I was begging him to just kill me, the pain had lasted for over ten hours and it was excruciating........ After waiting around in the ER, the pain went away and I felt really stupid, but stayed anyways......After I told the doc what was going on he started pressing on my side, right under my ribcage on the right side and it sent me right back into pain.........For 10 more hours........:mad: They did an US and seen I had the gallstones and within a week, I was in and having surgery. I had it done laperoscopy (sp)!!! Three tiny tiny incisions, that you wouldn't notice unless I pointed them out. The only effects I have had since having it taken out is not being able to eat fast food and greasy foods, as I posted earlier, without running to the bathroom...........:eek: Also, I will get real sharp pains when it is time to eat.........once I eat they go away though and they are nothing like the pains I had before so I am happy with the surgery as well...............:D

#3 ·
I had mine taken out in 1998 & like you Amy when I was pregnant my side hurt a lot as well but I didn't think it was my gallbladder. I feel great since I've had it removed:D

#4 ·
Its funny you posted this - I was just overwhelmed by how many of you had based on the response to my fast food thread!! I don't think I even know what a gall Bladder is for - I am sure though - just like with English cars - now that I know I have this part it will probably Break!!:toothy:

#5 ·
Originally posted by kimmee
Its funny you posted this - I was just overwhelmed by how many of you had based on the response to my fast food thread!! 
 I posted this after reading your fast food thread and noticing the same thing.  :D

#6 ·
Had mine out about 1988. Had suffered for a few years with pain under my ribs, knowing it was probably gall bladder. Went to the dr. after having an episode that made me think I was having a heart attack. I have the lovely 6 inch scar across my belly that I swear just stopped hurting during weather changes about 3 yrs. ago.

#7 ·
I had mine out in 1976. Prior to that had a gallbladder attack with terrible pain. At the time didn't know it was that. After tests found out that I had gall stones. Back then was before the easy way of doing it with the little incisions. I have the big scar. I ended up with complications and was in the hospital for 3 weeks instead of one.

#8 ·
Add me to the list! I, too, had problems during and after pregnancies. Had mine out in April of 2000 and have the same issues with fast food. I now still have occasional pain in that area and the dr. thinks it is a scar tissue issue. My GB was a wreck and they almost couldn't do it lapro. There were over 30 small stones...the surgeon joked that I had enough pebbles to put in the bottom of an aquarium!

#9 ·
I knew I had a gallbladder, but didn't think much about it until you all started posting in the thread about fast food. I had my annual physical today and when the doctor was examining my abdomen I ouched when he pushed on the area where my gallbladder is.

"We'll have to keep a close eye on that," he said in a serious voice.

Now I am scared! I don't want to have surgery.

#10 ·
Mine is gone as well. I had the tiny incisions and it was really no big deal at all. I only had 1 gallbladder attack and it landed me in the ER. Dr. checked me out and had to admit me to the hospital for IV antibiotics for 3 days prior to surgery. They said I was about to burst. I had a test tube full of stones - GROSS. I recovered quickly from the surgery and have had very little trouble with what I eat since then. However, every now and then I eat too much greasy food and I notice that it was a bad idea.

#11 ·
Me!!!! Had a baby in August 2003 and had the surgery before she was even 3 months old. I now know I had my first attack back before getting preggo with the second child and this is why that pregnancy and the last two were so killer. This pregnancy had been a breeze compared to them. My gall bladder affected my pancrieisis(sp) and my liver. I was in the hospital for 8 days. The first 3 on liquid IV only. The liver enzymes are normally about 150, mine were 2000. Havent had too much trouble since. Just notice that some foods give me BM problems.

#12 ·
Chriss,

I hope that you don't need to have surgery. It is understandable to be afraid of surgery. I hope that I didn't cause that by what I said about my surgery. Back then people stayed in the hospital for a week after surgery. I had to stay for those 3 weeks but what happened to me was very rare. Now having the surgery is alot easier and not so much time in the hospital. My mom had hers out almost 2 years ago and she just had 3 or 4 little incisions. It is is amazing what they can do now.

#13 ·
Peggy, unfortunately our household has more than our fair share of surgery in the past 18 years. I do not do well with anaesthetics personally.

It's funny...when it is someone else that has had surgery, I don't mind changing dressings, looking after people, heck I've even helped remove stitches and staples. But when it comes to me I am the biggest wimp around!

#14 ·
As scary as surgery was(only my 3rd surgery), I hurt so bad from what the ER dr did to me that I would have gladly stood in front of a firing squad to stop the pain. When I went to ER they didnt ask and gave me some stuff for heart burn. It gave me pain so bad, it is the only time I didnt notice the IV being put in or blood taken. And I climb the wall normally with both.

#15 ·
Chriss I am sorry about all the surgeries in your family. I have had 2 major surgeries, the gall bladder and a hysterectomy in 71 when I was only 23. Both of them were ordeals but once I healed from both of them it was a relief to be done with the pain that caused me to have both the surgeries. I use to work in the hospital and could do some of the things you mentioned. As for me I hope I never have another surgery.

MMP sorry that you had such a bad experience in E.R. When I had my gall bladder attack we were coming home from a trip that we were never able to finish cause I got sick. My dh wanted to stop at a hospital on the way home. I waited for another 50 miles to go to my own Dr. He gave me a shot for pain right away. I had never had pain like that before.

#17 ·
One way or another it helped. I don't know how many shots I had before or after surgery. Also probably took pain pills. While taking them discovered that I was allergic to them. My fear was of getting addicted to pain pills etc. But I didn't.

#18 ·
I had mine taken out in 1997 after two attacks. The first attack happened after eating some Pizza Pockets that daughter Jennifer made for an after school snack. I thought it was just a bad case of gas and took some tums and it only lasted about an hour. The second attack happened two weeks later while working in the flower bed and I thought I was having a heart attack and hubby rushed me to the hospital. When there, they quickly decided it wasn't my heart, and after checking my urine, told me my gall bladder was infected and needed to come out right then. So, away I went to the operating room. OMG, I was in so much pain, I really didn't care what they did to me. I woke up the next morning and went home. They removed mine through my navel, so I had only 3 little incisions which healed quickly. The one thing I hated though was the staples they used to close the incisions. They were more painful than the incisions themselves, and one almost became infected. LOL, when I went back to the doctor to get the stables removed, I complained when he pulled the one sore staple out and he said "How can that hurt, it's just a little staple?" and I reached over and pinched the dookie out of his arm and he said "OUCH!" and I said "How can that hurt, it's just a little pinch?" LOL

The only problem I have since having my gall bladder removed is that my stomach goes crazy if I eat too much greasy food. And, after eating, I can't stray too far from a bathroom for at least 30 minutes, which makes eating out a real pain, especially when traveling.

Other surgeries include a hysterectomy in 1985 (12 yr. old daughter Mickie is adopted) and had both feet operated on in 2002. Left foot was bunion removal. Right foot was bunion removal and some reconstruction work after car wreck in 2000 where my foot came out of vehicle and was dragged on roadway. Doctors at hospital didn't find the internal damage to my foot, only that most of the skin and meat were removed and skin grafts were done. Foot doctor found the internal damage with just one X-ray when I went to him to have the bunions removed, :confused: , and I bet they x-rayed my foot 500 times at the hospital!

Hubby has never had any surgery. Thank the Lord! I say that because he is the biggest baby in the world when he just gets the sniffles. I can't imagine him in the hospital. LOL, the day after I came home from having my gall bladder removed, I was outside finishing up the flower bed I was working in when the second attack hit me. :thanx: LOL

#21 ·
I had my gallbladder taken out this past November. My attacks happened in the middle of the night. Pain, then vomiting, diarrhea, chills, my arms and legs would just ache after the attack. It took about 3 or 4 before I went to the doctor. I would be down on the bathroom floor feeling like I could die, it was bad. Since having it out, I feel great. I don't really have any problems with what I eat like some that have had theirs out.

#22 ·
GALLBLADDER OUT 7 WEEKS AGO

Well, I would love to add that my gallbladder experience was positive, but I am a mess. It was removed 7 weeks ago and I now have constant dumping syndrome. No one ever mentioned this before surgery. A percentage of patients develop this from 1 to 6 months after surgery. I am unable to have a normal life at this moment as I get cramps, gas, and diarreah every day. I have to hit the bathroom at least 7 times. They have put me on lomotil, immodium, etc. Nothing is doing it. My diet is not any fried foods and I don't know what to eat anymore. I eat chicken, turkey, vegs, oatmeal, etc. My question is has anyone here experienced this, and what are they doing to help themselves??????

Thanks so much, it seems like a great form.....

#23 · (Edited)
Well, I would love to add that my gallbladder experience was positive, but I am a mess. It was removed 7 weeks ago and I now have constant dumping syndrome. No one ever mentioned this before surgery. A percentage of patients develop this from 1 to 6 months after surgery. I am unable to have a normal life at this moment as I get cramps, gas, and diarreah every day. I have to hit the bathroom at least 7 times. They have put me on lomotil, immodium, etc. Nothing is doing it. My diet is not any fried foods and I don't know what to eat anymore. I eat chicken, turkey, vegs, oatmeal, etc. My question is has anyone here experienced this, and what are they doing to help themselves??????

Thanks so much, it seems like a great form.....
I had my gall bladder out in 1997 after two horrible, painful attacks. The surgery went well, but within a few days of the surgery, I started with the diarreah, cramps and gas like you. It was impossible to even go out to eat without staying in the restaurant for some time afterwards cause I had to be close to a bathroom. This went on for a little over a year, but then it just stopped. My sister had her surgery back in 1969 and she still suffers from it. My dil had her gall bladder removed right after she had our first granddaughter, and she asked her doctor if she would have to go through it as I did, cause I warned her about it, and her doctor told her that the diarreah, cramps and gas are caused by a bacteria and can be treated with a pill. I was fine at the time, so I never checked into it to find out what the name of the medicine was. You may want to talk to your doctor if the problem doesn't get better. I do know that for some people, it takes a while for their body to adjust to not having their gall bladder, since the acids that the gall bladder filters just get dumped directly into the stomach, and that is why some people have pain if they don't eat often. My sister has to eat small meals throughout the day or she has a burning feeling in her stomach. I can go all day without eating and not experiance any pains at all. Well, hunger pains, but not severe burning like some people.

#24 ·
I had mine out in 1986, I have the 8 inch scar from my waist up. The old way surgery.

I can no longer eat the greasy food, or off to the restroom. .

The surgery now is alot easier, I had to stay in the hospital for 7 days. I had to have a drain put in, the Dr. asked me if I wanted " a pain shot for the stitch, or just go ahead and put the stitch in with out it. They both hurt about the same." Well like an idiot, and not liking needles anyway said to just do the stitch..DONT ever do that.. Its painful, enough said.

#25 ·
Hi
I so appreciate your sharing your experiences, as it helps to cope with what is happening. You know when this happens, you think your the only one and then you find a site like this with so many wonderful people wanting to help one another. I think everyone who is going to have their gallbladder removed should address these issues with their Doctors before doing it. Perhaps they might have other options. I was told it was a piece of cake and it would not have any negative problems to deal with. I think this is dishonest and we as patients should back our Doctors into the corner with questions when we are faced with any type of treatment we are unsure of. It is important to be proactive with physicians and remember they are not Gods....
The most important thing for me at this moment, is my new physician gave me Questran (which is actually a cholesteral drug) and for the first time these symptoms are slowing up. This ordeal has wiped me out. Ask your doctor about this drug. Questran (cholestyramine) is a drug which absorbs bile acids in the intestines. There are two forms of Questran: the standard form, which contains cholestyramine and sucrose, and Questran Light, which contains cholestyramine and aspartame (aspartame is an artificial sweetener).

Questran is used to treat diarrhea, as excess bile acid in the intestines can lead to loose stools. In particular, patients who have had their gallbladders removed may find that they have bile-related diarrhea, as bile is normally stored in the gallbladder. This is a work in progress for me.....

I hope this helps someone else. Will keep you informed and again thannkyou for your input.......
:hug2:

#26 · (Edited)
I had mine out probably 6 or 7 years ago, I'm not very good at keeping track of dates. I had been having very intermittent and relative short attacks for years. Then I had a bad one, and soon after, the killer. it started at 10 pm and none of my usual fixes helped. I lived right behind a first care center and I was there when they opened up at 8 the next morning. This was the day before a trip to DC, and after meeting with the surgeon, he said to go on and make the trip. The odds were it would not flare up again, and if it did, well, there were plenty of fine surgeons there! I had it out the day after I returned.

The surgery was laparoscopy. I was told three small incisions and woke up with 5. I've joked that his assiatant must have been holding the anatomy book upside down. I was only in the hospital overnight. The hardest thing for me about the recovery was that I could not endure the bed, bending on the mattress. So for about 5 days I lived and slept in my recliner, the home version of a hospital bed! When I couldn't stand the chair anymore at night, i would put the sofa cushions on the floor and sleep there a couple of hours, then back to the chair.

I never had any food problems. The dietitian told that it was unlikely I would, since I had had the condition for a long time and my body had already adjusted to not have a working gall bladder. I occasionally have the common problem with fried foods, but this is a lifelong thing, so I dont' think it's particularly related to the gall bladder, but I could be wrong.

I am glad it's gone and very grateful they don't grow back like lizard tails. As you all know, the pain is excruciating. I always said if I ever had a heart attack I would just die from it because I would think it was my gall bladder. My pain would always begin in my back in the heart region and (uh-oh) travel across my shoulder and down into my left arm. And I knew they weren't heart attacks -- they're not cured by gas medicine, tums, and fizzy drinks. I would wish I'd been raised as a good ol' boy who could belch on command! I never could. I guess it's an "accomplishment" I will never master!

Good luck with the surgery.

#27 ·
Anybody ever had gallbladder surgery?

I spent all last night, into this morning in the ER due to severe abdominal and back pain. Turns out I'm going to have to have my gallbladder removed. :( Has anybody else ever had their gallbladder removed? Anybody have any tips and/or advice? I have an appointment to see a surgeon on Monday.

--Michelle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.