Frugal Village Forums banner
26K views 191 replies 103 participants last post by  oheoh's momma 
#1 ·
Anyone have a treatment to kill these durn lice? We have used the Walmart brand of Rid and still Nathan has live bugs on his head. I have been very diligent with the combing and making sure things are either sprayed or washed in hot water-so much so that I broke my Maytag Neptune! :( So now we have to go to the laundry mat. This is getting old!:bang: Help!!!

#30 ·
I went through this w/my Dd a few yrs ago...it REALLY creeped me out. :ack:
The Dr. told me I could apply "real mayonaise"..not miracle whip to her hair and have her wear a shower cap over night and it would kill the lice.
No matter what you use (I dont reccomend chemicals, if possible) you will have to go through all the hair & remove the lice & eggs...good luck!:hugz:

#32 ·
She very well could have gotten it from older child. Most teen's who get lice brush their hair so much they either knock them off their heads before they lay eggs or kill them (same way).

It's not impossible, however, I would be checking EVERYONE until the problem is resolved. TWO weeks (2 treatments and de-nitting).

Graci

#35 ·
OMG! Tell me all you know about how to get rid of lice!

Yep, dd has caught lice from her friend! OMG! I've never dealt with this before! I bought the spray and shampoo and gell and comb. I'm washing and drying all clothes, pillows, sheets, bedding, etc... What else to do? HELP!!!!!!

#36 ·
Check everyday for new eggs...I think that the shampoo only kills live lice...not the nits (eggs)...use the comb to find those little eggs that look like dandruff but are stuck to the hair. It can be hard to deal with. As a teacher, I have had parents tell me how hard they worked to "de-lice" but if they stop checking and 1 egg is still there....all that hard work is down the drain! Don't forget to vacuum the car headrest where dd sits and any chairs/cushions she may have put her head up against. Apparently putting things in a hot dryer for 1 hour or in a garbage bag (sealed) for 1 week works to kill the lice as well. Good luck!!! Don't give up!!!

#37 ·
Getting rid of lice can be a frustrating ordeal. Like watchingpeenies said, " check everyday for eggs."

My MIL uses baby oil on my nieces when they get it. She puts the oil in their hair and then puts a shower cap on their head. The oil makes it hard for them to breathe and it kills them.

Also, teatree oil keeps them away. Some shampoos have teatree in them which is what we use. Hairspray, gels, and moouse also prevent lice from breathing. After treating her hair and getting rid of the lice, you can put a little bit of moouse in her hair each day to prevent them from getting in her hair again.

#38 ·
I would check each member of the household including you and your husband. Then I would check online for headlice info- you will get accurate help. There are many misconceptions about what will get rid of or prevent lice.(Having worked for DFS I saw people putting kerosene on their children's heads.)Don't panic.Remember to clean brushes, combs, headbands, ponytail holders, any caps or hats.Sometimes the comb will not remove the nits. You must pick them with your fingers and deposit in the Rid solution.(Hence the term- nitpicker.You will understand it's true meaning forever more.)If you are unable to destroy them, your doctor can give you a script.

#39 ·
Thanks ladies! Okay, so far I've vacuumed and sprayed both beds, both sofas, both chairs, and the rug. I've got all bedding, pillows, clothing, blankets, etc... going in hot water wash, and drying them for one hour. My heart is racing at all of the electric I'm using! DH shaves his head every other day, so he is safe. My hair is only 2 inches long (still growing from chemo), so won't be too bad. DD's hair goes to her waist and is light blond. I picked up the RID, with the shampoo, combs, gel, and spray for the non washable items.

So much for not doing much housework today.:scratch::coffee3::rolleyes:

DD started crying, but I've relayed her fears that she is gross. I've told her lots of people get lice, and that we are not dirty in any way. She feels better now.

#40 ·
Ok my DD had lice last year and we tried every over the counter thing available and it didnt work, then we did some online reasearch and I splurged on http://www.licex.com/ it worked! Her lice were gone only after 1 treatment and it's 100% guaranteed (no I am not an affiliate, just a proud customer). I purchased the economy pack and still have over 3/4 bottle left for the future, lol.

Be warned the 2nd treatment thing they want you to use is oily and stinky but it works!

#41 ·
Slather mayonaise on her hair and scalp and cover her head in a shower cap--that also suffocates them. Oh--poor you--all that blonde hair, I imagine they are so hard to find. Good luck.

#42 ·
I have also used cheap store brand mayo to smother the lice. It is much easier to get out then baby oil (IMHO). I globbed it in her hair and then put a shower cap on for about 30 minutes. This helped better than the lice shampoo and doesn't have the chemicals that the lice stuff has in it.

I also checked every day for a week or so after the first treatment. I would use a bright lamp and a flash light and pick out any eggs that I could find. My daughter said she felt like she was in a headlock. LOL

GOOD LUCK!!!!

#43 ·
Our school was rampant with lice when I was a kid. My mom's best friend used kerosene on her kids, it worked, but my mom thought that wouldn't be very smart considering A. It stunk to high heaven and B. She was a smoker. C. There was no telling when your kids might inadvertently be exposed to something that could set off the flammable properties of kerosene.

My sister and I have very, very thick hair and we got it three times. We where particularly poor and the last time my mom just didn't have the money to buy the shampoo... it was like $10 or $15 dollars a bottle back then and it took a bottle for each of us, every treatment, and that was after she bobbed our hair.

I was with her in the store when whe was looking at the lice shampoo and I could tell she was just sick at the cost... we could eat and have lice or not eat and have lice shampoo... when all of a sudden she grabbed a bottle off the shelf and raced off. I followed her and we wound up in the pet section where she found a bottle of dog shampoo 4 times the size of the little lice shampoo bottle... it had the same active ingredients just at twice the strength and it cost $3.98. So that's what she bought and we used it diluted, being very careful not to get into the eyes. She used the combs left from last outbreak and then washed everything in bleach or dog shampoo and dried the heck out of it. It worked. I realize that in general people shouldn't use pet products for people but if the budget is in dire circumstances it's a good option to know about.

Also, as an aside, when I was in my early 20's I had a friend who contracted crabs. He was only 18 and too embarressed to tell his parents and get a doctors visit on their insurance. After a lecture about "You are darn lucky it wasn't herpes or Hep. C or HIV, quit sleepin' around stupidhead" I told him about the dog shampoo... He shaved every hair he could reach, shampooed and followed the above lice treatment for his clothes etc and it worked. Again, not my first choice but if you find your self in the situation and broke it might be better than suffering.

Christine

#44 ·
Don't forget the to spray the couch cushions and get rid of the vacuum bag after you vacuum. Also, if she has stuffed animals, put them in a garbage bag and tie it up for about a week, that should kill anything on them, if you can not wash them.

#45 ·
I've vacuumed, sprayed, laundered, still laundering. Her biggest concern throughout the whole ordeal was "cow blankie and fuzzy"! Now, being that they are both over 7 yr. old, I was worried. One look at "Fuzzy" and you would know why. Well, cow blankie did very well in the washer and dryer (thank God). Fuzzy had his very first bath in the bathroom sink, with extremely hot water. After he got sprayed down. He is drying now, and doing fine, we have to check on him every five minutes.

#46 ·
Don't forget to clean the surfaces where her hairbrush might have touched like a counter or drawer, etc. Good luck, it's a hassle most definitely, but it should all work out okay, just keep an eye out for more. And best wishes to "Fuzzy"...my dogs have stuffies and when I give them a good scrubbing and hang them up to dry, you hear a lot of whining and howling at my house!!

#47 ·
I bought a metal flea comb from the pet department, it is exactly the same as a lice comb but the human versions are harder to find. The plastic combs that come with the lice shampoo are useless. The lice shampoo doesn't work in a lot of cases. Apparently the majority of lice are immune to it now. Daily combing is still the safest and most effective method.

Ignore any online advice that tells you to cover her hair in Vaseline. It probably kills the lice, but then you'll have to shave her head anyway, because you'll never get the Vaseline out.

#48 ·
when my kids got it, we used olive oil(lice shampoo didn't work)...then for the next 2 weeks, I sectioned,combed & pulled out nits & any live bugs(babies that hatched from the nits that I had missed) on 3 of my dds who have waist length hair. The boys all got buzzed. All bedding,clothing & stuffed animals were washed with bleach...the couch & mattresses were vacuumed & afterward, the vacuum cleaner bags were tossed in the trash...also sprayed the mattresses & couch w/ lice spray. It took a couple of weeks to get rid of all the icky pests.

#50 ·
deffently after there done use tea tree oil. My neighbour last December got them and her 2 kids were loaded. She was so upset, another neighbout didnt tell her that her kids were getting over them and let them play outside with other kids. It took here 3 weeks. To totally make sure they were rid of in the house . And all her shampoos have tea tree oil in them at least 8 drops per bottle. It works. Beleive me, we never got them . Her oldest son has very dry skin so at first she thought he was just itching his normal itch. ughhhhhhh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.