Frugal Village Forums banner
26K views 191 replies 103 participants last post by  oheoh's momma 
#1 ·
Anyone have a treatment to kill these durn lice? We have used the Walmart brand of Rid and still Nathan has live bugs on his head. I have been very diligent with the combing and making sure things are either sprayed or washed in hot water-so much so that I broke my Maytag Neptune! :( So now we have to go to the laundry mat. This is getting old!:bang: Help!!!

#52 ·
fuzzybunny;I realize that in general people shouldn't use pet products for people but if the budget is in dire circumstances it's a good option to know about. Christine[/QUOTE said:
I just wanted to add that in my county, if a parent takes their child to the Health Department and the nurse can verify nits on their hair, they will provide the treatment shampoo free of charge for the entire family.This policy may be different from county to county but it would be worth it to call and ask if this ever comes up again.

Take Care,
Susan

#54 ·
Dd got lice when she wasn't quite three with bleach blonde waist length hair. In the end, I used a mixture of five essential oils I found online and that was what got rid of them. I had to spray her hair pink just to see the stuff. I kept a bottle of that oil mixture around and periodically sprayed down the furniture, car, etc.... Don't forget about your car:) I had to tear apart the carseat. It was such a fiasco. I really feel for you.

#55 ·
best thing i found was one treatment of the lice shampoo to kill the live ones, then comb and pick her hair at least once a day. dd has fine blond hair. i took very small sections at a time and picked through them. one night the poor thing fell asleep while i was going through her hair. i had her sit on the floor in front of me hunched over a towel since it could easily be washed. any lice or nits that were found went into a cup of alcohol. all brushes and combs were kept in alcohol.

#56 ·
Tea Tree Oil Shampoo for LICE!

you use Tea Tree Oil Shampoo bought at your local GNC or Beauty Salon not only does it smother the lice, it treats the scalp and "stops" reaccuring problems.Please note that all the bedding, hairbrushes, combs, ties everything needs to be washed in "hot" water.You can use this shampoo daily or every other day with no risk signs.

#57 ·
I knew about this one for awhile. It doesnt kill them if you have it, Its in the shampoo too right after the treatment and putting it in normal shampoo.I use it all the time because kids are kids and they share lots of things.

#58 ·
We've been very lucky so far...none of my three kids have ever had lice, although we've had a couple of close calls with school outbreaks, etc.
It would be great if something natural could work to get rid of those little buggers, though!

#59 ·
I have seen around 100 heads of lice in my 10 years as a hairstylist.The tea treeshampoo will not kill the actual lice or nits.The generic version of RID works just as fine as the regular version.Best way to treat lice is shampoo with lice shampoo as directed then go threw your childs hair and pull each nit out of the hair one by one.Its time consuming but really its the only way.Then as stated above clean everything.They cant survive on clothing but they can travel that way.Keep checking your childs hair daily lice have a 28 day life span and the eggs will hatch every 7 days.That is why you should remove each one.*WARNING*it took me 10 hours to pick through my daughters hair when she was 5!

To prevent lice....keep your childs hair dirty.Lice like clean hair and cannot cling to dirty hair..I always spray my daughters hair before she goes to school.Again no matter what u think or you're told!LICE LIKE CLEAN HAIR!

#61 ·
WE HAVE LICE IN OUR HOUSE!! *UGH*

I am such a dummy. We were in Lowes today and I patted my son on the head and noticed a "gummy" area. I asked him if he had got hit on the head (thinking maybe it was a scab). He said no, but I kinda made a mental note to watch it. Later tonite, my dh helped him wash his hair really good on the spot, but it didn't get any better. Then my older son said "maybe their lice nips". I had no idea what he was talking about......untill I googled it, and OH YEA that's tottaly what they were!!! SO.....my son is now BALD, yup, we shaved him bald as a cue ball....well, a cue ball with a 5 o clock shadow. Now, I have stiripped his bed, washed all of our coats......and I am cleaning up the hair mess.............other than cleaning the entire house top to bottom, changing everyones sheets, and washing everything in hot and drying it hot, is there anything else I need to do???

oh, and tonite I was going to be scrapbooking....yeah right!

#62 ·
If your son has any stuffed animals he sleeps with you should seal them in a plastic bag for a few days so to kill any that could be in there. I would soak hair combs and brushes in bleach or toss them and buy new ones. Aussie makes a hair conditioner with tea tree oil in it, we use that on the kids hair, we have yet to pick up lice when there are outbreaks of it in school.

#63 ·
Check every other member of the family.Wash hats.Wash his bath towel.Does he lay on the couch or have a favorite chair? Use lice spray on it.Good luck.

#64 ·
after vacuuming mattresses & furniture....throw out the vacum cleaner bag immediately. If you have any girls in the house,use olive oil on their hair to smother the varmits & then for about 2 weeks....meticulously go through their hair at least 2X a day to pull out any eggs or critters that might have escaped your attention. The other members here have already stated everything else that I would do. Lice is no fun....I hope that you can get rid of them quickly.

#66 ·
We had cooties last summer. I bought some of the spray at Walmart. The pharmacist gave me some good info, too. He said they can only live for 24 hours off of a host. So the kids were not allowed to sleep in their beds for 2 days after we did the treatment on their hair, then we sprayed the psare bed and no one went near it for 2 days.

Yuck. This is NOT FUN AT ALL!!! It is a lot of work! I feel for you.

#70 ·
I feel for you! Last summer my dd, with her long white blond hair had them.

Get some tea tree oil, put a couple of drops into his bottle of shampoo and it repels them to deter further occurances! You'll be okay. It's alot of work, but they will go away!

#73 ·
ugh!

about the gummy stuff - he had been (apparantly) scratching the area and it had kind of scabbed and oozed - thus the gummy-ness :) One weird thing though - no actual lice, just the nits..........did that mean that we caught it early? hmmmm, but if we caught it early, why was it gummy from oozing?.......
In answer to the question about was he bothered by going bald - NO
He is Fetal Alch. Syndrom spec needs son, so he doesn't really get that he shoud be bothered by going bald, or about having lice.......

#72 ·
It was gummy? Huh--I never knew that.

#75 ·
grrrrr....lice is such a pain. my daughter had it 2 winter's ago & i used olive oil & it cleared it up right away!!!! don't waste your money on the "lice shampoo's", plus the olive oil is so much safer to use. Good luck!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.