Frugal Village Forums banner
26K views 191 replies 103 participants last post by  oheoh's momma 
#1 ·
Anyone have a treatment to kill these durn lice? We have used the Walmart brand of Rid and still Nathan has live bugs on his head. I have been very diligent with the combing and making sure things are either sprayed or washed in hot water-so much so that I broke my Maytag Neptune! :( So now we have to go to the laundry mat. This is getting old!:bang: Help!!!

#79 ·
Please, please, please check everyone's head and spray furniture, toys, pillows, mattress and anything else that won't fit in the dryer.

If he had the nits, he does have lice. Sorry you are having to go through this. Is he in school? If so, he probably got it from another child in his class. Make sure you let the teacher know there could be another child with lice in the class.

#80 ·
Tea Tree Oil Shampoo for LICE!

you use Tea Tree Oil Shampoo bought at your local GNC or Beauty Salon not only does it smother the lice, it treats the scalp and "stops" reaccuring problems.Please note that all the bedding, hairbrushes, combs, ties everything needs to be washed in "hot" water.You can use this shampoo daily or every other day with no risk signs.

#81 ·
Head Lice, AARRGGHHH

So at 9:30 tonight, I found lice in my step-daughters hair. So off to the store to get the lice treatment and mineral oil!! Then I had to shampoo her hair, spray the lice spray stuff over my couches and chairs, and her bed. Then I had to comb mineral oil through her hair and wrap a plastic bag on her head, and send her to bed. Keep in mind I also had to start washing her beddding. So, now it is a quarter to midnight and my 2 year old son, is still awake, because I had to check his hair too, thank goodness he doesn't have it, but I washed his hair with Dawn, hopefully that will kill anything, if he does have it!!!

So now, my next two days off, will consist of completely cleaning and disenfecting my house!!! So much for relaxing!! LOL!!!!

Does anyone have any more advice on how to deal with this??? The last time I had head lice was when I was 10 or so, so about 14 years ago, there has to be something new or even old that I can do to make sure that everything is clean!!

Tomorrow, all bedding, blankets, pillows, etc. will all be washed in hot water with soap!! Of course!!

Any ideas or suggestions, please let me know!!! Anything would be great at this point!!!

#82 ·
Oh I haven't had to deal with head lice in a really really long time. I think DS9 had it when he was younger but I can't remember. I just used the Nix stuff and that seemed to take care of it, along with washing all his bedding and spraying down every piece of furniture and the rugs and my car.

#83 ·
I only once had to deal with this. Make sure to vaccum really well and throw away the vaccum bag. If they return mayo applied to the head and a plastic cap will suffocate those little buggers!

#84 ·
i've had to deal with this many times due to a friend of my daughters whose house was eveidently infested or her mom didn't do her hair correctly. i found a natural shampoo, but haven't seen it lately, Hair Clean 1-2-3. it had anise oil in it and they'd practically jump off. other than that i add a few drops of tea tree oil to all shampoos...evidently they don't like the smell or whatever and thank goodness i haven't had to deal with them in almost 3 years....if it's bad your pediatritian can give you a script for a strong shampoo...she used that once (the last time she had them) and haven't seen them since! JMO :)

#100 ·
:yeah:
When my DD was little , she got them and I got them from her. We both have very thick hair and nothing seemed to get rid of them. At my wit's end, I called my daughter's pediatrician and she suggested putting mayonnaise in our hair, covering with a shower cap and leaving it on overnight. That did the trick, thank goodness! I hope you're able to get rid of them soon. They're nasty little things. :yucky:

--Michelle

#86 ·
I also had to deal with this either last year or the year before, but I purchased LiceX or something like that, it worked wonders! I found it online and it's guaranteed to work and it really did! :)

#87 ·
We dealt with this twice in the space of 4 weeks with DD when she was 9. She was going to her dad's every other weekend, and came home with them one weekend. They swore THEIR kids didn't have it - yet DD came home with it.

We spent an entire night not sleeping, but cleaning - hubby went to the 24-hr. laundromat to wash bags and bags of bedding and clothing, I washed continuously at home, bagged up all stuffed animals to put outside in the sun for 2 weeks to kill anything on them, etc. What a nightmare.

Got it all cleaned up, and sent her back to her dad's 2 weeks later for another weekend - with great trepidation. When she returned home, I wouldn't even let her in the house, poor kid. I made her stand on the porch until I checked her head - sure enough - she had them again. After I chewed out her dad, I asked where they had gone BOTH weekends, since he insisted his other kids at home didn't have lice. I was SO glad I didn't let her in the house, given all the time we spent cleaning with the last go-around.

They had been going to a hotel pool. A public pool. Now - the doctor told me lice couldn't survive in a pool because of the chlorine. However...I did my own research online and found that the little buggers can hold their breath for up to 30 minutes. If that's the case, and a child with longer hair was in the pool, and my DD was in close contact with that child, playing....wouldn't it be POSSIBLE that she picked them up there? Or in the locker room, if she laid her towel down on top of someone else's or something?

Very frustrating. I told her dad he wasn't allowed to take her to that pool anymore. She never got lice again.

We treated with mayonnaise on the heads, covered with shower caps. (I treated all 3 kids just to be safe.) Left it there for the better part of the day. It suffocates them so that even if they hold their breath, they can't breathe when they try to again. It also greases up the hair shaft so the nits come off easily when combed through. Just takes a LOT of washing to get the mayonnaise out of their hair....but their hair is so shiny when it dries! LOL

#88 ·
Hey, were our kids playing together???

My dd currently also has lice. Well, I'm hopeful not anymore, but she came home Friday with them. She had them in May, and we know she got them from a friend, but this time, I'm not sure where they came from.

So, everything has been cleaned and I'm like a gorilla mom, checking through her hair every time I see her. I'm hopeful this is the last time. Not a fan of lice. The Nix seems to work well, though.

#89 ·
Don't forget to bag the stuffed animals for 2 weeks. We have had this once in the house. We check each other in the salon regularly during the school year because we do lots of kids. Having it in the house is tons of work.
We no longer recommend the chemicals but recommend mayo or oil followed by vinegar (to loosen the nits). So many starins have become resistant to the chemicals. Also the metal knit combs work better than the cheapo plastic.
I think you were up late and need to treat yourself to a nice cup of tea with your feet up!

#90 ·
Well, I've only been up for about 30 mintues or so. Got sdd up and sent her to the shower with the Dawn dish soap. She is currently back in there washing her hair, because she didn't get it all. I am going to get some major amounts of coffee and get started on the vaccuuming!!!

I figure that I might as well just clean the whole house!! What harm is there in dusting and cleaning windows right??!!!?? Those little buggers can live on windows and such right!!???!! (Don't anyone burst my bubble here, this is probably the only way my house is going to get that spring cleaning look!!)LOLOLOLOL

Thanks for all the ideas and helpful hints!!!

#91 ·
Amy Boz if both of our kids got it and they were playing together, we have some major lice issues!! Those little buggers are great jumpers then!!! From NJ to Iowa, that is impressive!!!
Watch out everyone flying head lice, anyone between NJ and IA, please be advised, these things are catchy little buggers and will cause a large amount, of probably much needed cleaning!!! LOLOLOLOL

#92 ·
My girls had it a few summers ago...took a while to figure out who they were getting it from. The OTC shampoos didn't work for us so I did the mayo with a plastic cap. It worked really well. I then used a metal lice comb to get rid of the little critters. The metal combs are more expensive, but worked so much better than the plastic ones.

#93 · (Edited)
We have had to deal with lice a few times over the years my daughter was in elementary school. She has LONG hair so it is NO fun. The last time she had it was a few years ago. I really didn't want to to the whole harsh chemical shampoo again and frankly they didn't work all they well for the risk involed.

On-line I got the instructions to use Cetaphil the really mild soap. Apply it all over the head let it set for 30 min or so. Comb it all out. You can use a regular comb at first to get the majority of it out then the nit comb. Once you have most of it out. You use the hair dryer to dry your hair. It takes a while. The next day you wash it out. It worked and with my daughter having really long hair it was pretty cost effective. The hair was really soft afterwards too. Not all harshly dried out like with the NIX or RID.

The olive oil and head cap sounds like a safe way to go. Is it really effective. Just in case I need to use it sometime.

#94 ·
We had to deal w/ this a few years ago & it is a pain in the neck.I had to strip everyone's bedding & wash it in hot water, vacuum the mattresses & furniture - then sealed & tossed the vacuum cleaner bag. Gathered up all of the stuffed animals & stored them in sealed garbage bags in the garage for 3 weeks. Everyone soaked their hair in olive oil(smothers the live ones) & then washed it normally w/ shampoo. Now for the fun part.....I have 4 girls with seat-length hair- I spent 4 hrs(2 hrs morning/2 hrs evening) a day for 2 weeks going through their hair pulling out eggs- I was NOT going to cut their hair. Since my sons could get away with it -they got buzzed.
It took awhile, but if you're patient, you will get rid of the nasty pests.

#95 ·
Oh, I just remembered something I found at the pharmacy during the 1st go-around with lice when DD was 9. It was a battery-operated fine-toothed metal comb....if you ran into any lice or nits, it ELECTROCUTES THEM with a low-voltage shock that the child doesn't even feel - it just feels like a little vibration on the scalp.

Revenge on the lice... hee hee hee

The lice look like this when the comb hits them... :yikes:

#96 ·
I am currently waiting for the next load of laundry to get done. I have also just finished scrubbing the walls of the bathroom and kitchen!! I am going to finish cleaning the bathroom as soon as my dh is done, then I am going to finish stripping the rest of the beds!!

My sister is a hair stylist, so she is coming over later this afternoon after she gets off work to cut her hair. Her hair is to about the middle of her back and she wants to go to shoulder length anyway. After the hair cut, she is going to get more mineral oil in her hair and a shower cap on. That is how she is going to be looking the rest of the day!!!

I still have to go out and clean out my car, but I am hoping that the heat will help fry the little buggers and will be easier to clean up.

Off the clean more!!

Thanks for all the great tips!!!

#97 ·
For a couple years I worked as pediatric nurse. Within the first month I had lice twice as each time we got new kids in who had them then I got them. I used Nix. Anyway I started investigating and found that lice hate sulfur so I began using a hair ointment called Sulfur #8 found in the ethnic hair care section of the supermarket and pretty cheap. It also was less damaging to my hair than Nix. It is greasy but I only had to use a very little bit and I no longer had any problems with lice and I worked on that unit for a couple of years.

#98 ·
my daughter got them from one of the YMCA daycamp kids, we tried using that shampoo and it didn't help much. what actually worked was mixing mayo and olive oil and rubbing it into her head really well, covering it with a plastic wrap and then a plastic bag over that and making her sit with it for about 4 hrs.

the oils suffocate the lice

#101 ·
UPDATE
I have now given her a second dose of mineral oil, after she had her hair cut, now she is walking around the house with a shower cap on!!! I am making her leave it in overnight, then tomorrow morning we are going to wash it out with Dawn and then rinse with vinegar!! I am hoping this will take care of it!! I can still see the bugs on her head, but I am pretty positive that they are dead (they aren't moving).

I am vaccuum my whole house, have done about 6 loads of laundry, washed the walls, washed and vaccuumed the furniture, and disenfected everything!!! The only things I have left to do is sweep and clean my kitchen/dining room floor and laundry of course!!!

Thanks again for all the great tips!!!

#102 ·
Bythe time you are done you will have the cleanest house and family in town! I know it is a drag to have to do all that but, at least there will be a bug free, dust free, sparkling house and family in its place.

#103 ·
I'm glad you're making progress on the lice-killing - go get 'em!

Just a tip - watch your child's head VERY CLOSELY for the next week. Lice have a 7-day life cycle, and if there are any eggs (nits) left anywhere in her hair or the house, that's when they will start to hatch out. This is how most
re-infestations occur - you think they're gone, but 7 days later, they're back.

#104 ·
at the salon where i work we recommend a line called fairy tales, it wont kill them now but it keeps them from coming back once they are gone we usually sell out at the begining of the school year, they make shampoo, conditioner and detangler and its very natural its mostly essential oils

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.