Frugal Village Forums banner
26K views 191 replies 103 participants last post by  oheoh's momma 
#1 ·
Anyone have a treatment to kill these durn lice? We have used the Walmart brand of Rid and still Nathan has live bugs on his head. I have been very diligent with the combing and making sure things are either sprayed or washed in hot water-so much so that I broke my Maytag Neptune! :( So now we have to go to the laundry mat. This is getting old!:bang: Help!!!

#105 ·
I have also heard that shampoo with tea tree oil keeps them from coming back once they are gone.

Glad to hear you are making progress! Hopefully soon you will have them knocked out!

#107 ·
I think they are finially gone. Combed through her hair this morning, only pulled off a few dead ones. I am going to have her wash her hair again tonight and I am going to rinse with vinegar again. I already went and got enough stuff to treat her hair again on Sunday. Just to make sure!!!

Thanks again for all the help you guys have been!!!

#108 ·
Head Lice AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

OK, so my 14 year old son came home from a lil piggie friends house and had head lice! We did not know until ALL the freakin kids had it!
By then of course, as most of you know I am a clean freak and so had you drove into my driveway, you'd have seen piles of clothes, stuffed animals, bedding, pillows and, yup, even matress' on my lawn!!
I blew a cork and turned my whole house into a war zone!
Bombed the house, washed everything in HOT HOT water, dried it in a HOT HOT dryer, put all the stuffed animals into garbage bags and left them out in the back yard on the trampoline to bake in the sun for certain death!!

Sprayed all the bedding and carpets with lice spray and all the furniture! vacuumed everything in sight, shampooed the furniture, bedding and carpets, and used the poison shampoo on everyone! Wheeew....all done!

Then I did it all again the following weekend just to be thorough!!
2 days later, the lil bastards were back, in full force on every one of the kids heads again!
So we did it all again for a 3rd weekend in a row, then I got smart! I looked it up on line and found out that if you treat for head lice with parathins (poison) shampoo 2 times and they are not all dieing, they are immune to the poison!
Found a new and all natural way to kill the little bastards and no need for a 2nd treatment, I can attest to this because it has been 2 weeks and there is not a lice one in my home or on my kids!

Saturate the head and hair in mayonnaise, wrap the saturated head with saran wrap and let set for 2 hours!! Then rinse with white distilled vinegar, and shampoo the crap out of the head!

Thats it, the only other thing the CDC said was to freeze the linens and pillows, after 2 hours in the freezer, nothing is alive!! A lice cannot live of of a body for more than 5 hours, so I scooped the kids up, rented them some movies, and quarantined them to the living room for 6 hours, while they were soaking in their mayo, I froze all their bedding and pillows and they were not allowed in their rooms for 8 full hours! The lice have to feed within 10 minutes of hatching or they will die, the only lice that can jump are crabs so we were safe with this one bout!!

I wanted to share this with everyone, I spent nearly $200 in crappy shampoo's that ultimately made us sick with poison and did not work at all! Then with the natural treatment I spent about $10. to treat 7 people and I have enough left to do it 10 more times if I need too!!
Happy bug killing!!!
Mommy

#110 ·
I wish my sister had known about mayo when her girls got lice. She did the same thing--spent tons of money on what was THEN prescription-only stuff! It took her forever to get rid of them and almost put her in the poor house.

She almost was ready to shave her little girls' heads! They all had beautiful waist length hair.

#111 ·
We're currently on our 3rd bout with dd and lice. I did everything you did, with the exception of the mayo. I guess that's what I'll have to do tomorrow night if I find any more on her head. Nix apparently isn't doing the trick.

Grrr...I know it wasn't her friends fault who gave it to her originally...they are neat clean people...lice get anyone...but it's hard not to be annoyed.

#116 ·
Avon's Skin So Soft really helps with head lice. You saturate the head, put on a shower cap and wait 20-30 minutes, wash with Dawn dishwashing soap. The scent also detours them for next time. It was also brought to my attention when my older kids were younger that if you washed their hair with Suave Strawberry scented soap that would help detour too. I know what you are going through, my daughter got them when she was about 4 or 5 and she is now 21 and I haven't been the same since LOL:dazed:

#118 ·
I just saw this on t.v. . They were talking about super lice. I guess it is becoming common that they are not responding to the current medicines. Here is a link to the article. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,421613,00.html

I know basically it was in my dd's kindergarten class all year last year. I do not know how we managed to avoid it. I do use shampoo with tee tree oil in it because it is supposed to be a natural lice repellent. One of our local salons sells something called Fairytale products for children that is also supposed to be a repellent.

#119 ·
Oh my God....My DD has lice.

Okay, I need some advice. I discovered lice in my daughter's hair on Saturday night. We did the RID treatment and I have been combing out her hair every morning and night using the fine comb and conditioner. We strip her sheets every morning and wash them in hot water and hot dryer. I have treated my DS and myself and also comb us out everyday. I've sprayed and bagged everything I can. I spent Sunday santizing my whole freaking house.

Anything I'm missing?

I found out where she got it. A slumber party 3 weeks ago. She won't be going to anymore of those in a loooonnnnggg time. I will continue doing all this for the next two weeks or until I feel safe that they are gone. I have never had lice before so this is my first experience. All I can say in YUCK!

Thanks for the advice!

#133 ·
Okay, I need some advice. I discovered lice in my daughter's hair on Saturday night. We did the RID treatment and I have been combing out her hair every morning and night using the fine comb and conditioner. We strip her sheets every morning and wash them in hot water and hot dryer. I have treated my DS and myself and also comb us out everyday. I've sprayed and bagged everything I can. I spent Sunday santizing my whole freaking house.

Anything I'm missing?

I found out where she got it. A slumber party 3 weeks ago. She won't be going to anymore of those in a loooonnnnggg time. I will continue doing all this for the next two weeks or until I feel safe that they are gone. I have never had lice before so this is my first experience. All I can say in YUCK!

Thanks for the advice!
We paid out over $200 a few months ago for the lice shampoo's comb's sprays LMAO Then come to find out that 99% of lice are immune to them so keep your eyes open with them!!
I finally got rid of them, I did not want to use chemicals to begin with, so this one worked awesome, ya just have to have commitment!
Saturate the head in real mayo cover with plastic shower cap for 2 1/2 hours every 2nd day for 21 days!!
Rinse with white distilled vinegar and scrub with good shampoo. You do not have to use the comb with this as it does not give the lice time to mature and breed, it only kills the live lice (which anything does) so every other day covers lice that are fresh hatched!
Lice breath through small holes in their bodies, they may do dormant (such as showering, swimming) for up to 2 hours, then they have to open to breath, when they do, they suffocate from the oils and fats in the mayo!
They cannot breed and lay eggs until they are 4-5 days old so doing this treatment every other day guarantee's them not to lay any new eggs!
Another thing, for all the boy's including Dad, we cut their hair 1/2 inch, lice cannot lay eggs or hold onto hairs 1/2 inch or shorter, they cannot handle the air or light from hair that short either!!
PM me if you need anything, I know more about those danged things than I ever care to!!

Reactions: One Frugal Mom
#120 ·
One thing that you can do, is use cholesterol. Cover the head really well. Put one of those plastic shower caps on and let it sit for several hours. Rinse it out and then do a comb out.
You can do this as many times as you want, as there are no harmful chemicals in it.
Not only do you need to retreat in a week, but you really need to get all of the nits on everyone. Keep doing the daily combouts.
When you vacuum, throw out the bags. Get them out of the house!

Lice cannot live without a human for more than 24 hours. Soak the the hairbrushes, combs, in bleach water every night.
DD/18 just finished cosmetology school and these are the things that they told them to do, if they inadvertantly worked on someone with lice.

#123 ·
My mom used mayo on our heads. Plop it on nice and thick then cover with a grocery bag. I'm sure we looked comical, but it really works. And vinegar makes it easier to get the nits out.

#125 ·
We just went through this at the end of August with dd, then the second time around both dd and ds got it!! The baby was fine, no hair no problem!! We shaved ds head, and of course did the second treatment. DD was a little harder, we cut her hair the first time, covered her head in mineral oil, and let her sleep with it under a shower cap over night, I even had her do it during the day every couple of days. I also washed all bedding, everyday, plus I put and extra, old blanket on top of her pillow, that way the oil didn't ruin her sheets, plus the blanket was easy to take off and wash or throw away if there were lots of them!!!

My advice to you, do it everyday for two weeks, even if it is better and you don't see any lice, they will come back, when you least expect it!!!

#126 ·
Yep, the olive oil or mayo thing works best. Some of the lice have developed a resistance to the drugs they put in the OTC stuff. If you rinse your hair with vinegar after you wash it, lice won't like it as well and won't stick around. Also, they don't like hairspray.

#128 ·
It sounds to me like you covered everything. This is just one of those fun things that goes along with parenthood! If she hangs around with these same kids at school, she probably would have gotten them even if she hadn't gone to the slumber party!

Hopefully, you can get rid of them quickly!

#129 ·
I remember when my youngest was about 8 and we discovered lice. Was a pain but we lived thru it. I remember all the crying when I had to sit and comb his hair. Unfortunately we all had caugh it. My hair was down my back.... I hated that....

Debbie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.