Frugal Village Forums banner
26K views 191 replies 103 participants last post by  oheoh's momma 
#1 ·
Anyone have a treatment to kill these durn lice? We have used the Walmart brand of Rid and still Nathan has live bugs on his head. I have been very diligent with the combing and making sure things are either sprayed or washed in hot water-so much so that I broke my Maytag Neptune! :( So now we have to go to the laundry mat. This is getting old!:bang: Help!!!

#2 ·
Have you tried baby oil? Leave it in his hair overnight. You can put a shower cap on. It is suppose to smother them. Also I have heard that mayo works. Also use shampoo that has tea tree oil in it. It prevents lice.

Make sure you wash everything....bedding, stuffed animals, everything and anything.

#3 ·
We are both having a mayo treatment right now. We look pretty funny with plastic bags on our heads. ;) I do use tea tree in our shampoo until everyone(including my dh who is the most grossed out by all this lice business) complains. This will teach him, huh?

I did wash everything that could be washed but now my washer is completely broken. I can't even guarantee that any laundramats will be open tomorrow. UGH!!

One good thing came out of all this. Now I may not have to go to the ils for Thanksgiving. We have a mutual dislike of each other. :mad:

#4 ·
i can totally relate to the in-laws..........my mother in law disgusts me.....lol!!! anyways about the lice, i have heard that the mayo treatment really works. when you use the rid too often, it won't work after awhile (coming from experience). i'm a student nurse....if you have any other questions, please just ask me......momto4cutiepies@yahoo.com. i have 4 kids & i have been through this whole lice thing several times. & i also help the school nurse at my kids school to check the kids hair for lice. good luck!!!!

#5 ·
here is what we did a few years ago when our kids had it...dh buzzed all the boys..then everyone used olive oil..this suffocates the little pests..then for 2 weeks straight, twice a day, i would go through each of the girl's hair..by small sections and pull the remaining nits out & remove any of the little uglies that decided to be stubborn with a fine toothed comb(by then, the boys were 100% cleared of them)...keep in mind, all of my girls have hair to their seats and spending hours doing this saved them for haircuts...we vacuumed the mattresses & rooms...everything thoroughly...washed everything in hot water...bagged up all of the stuffed animals & set them in the garage for a few weeks until the bugs died for lack of hosts...bagged up & threw away the vacuum cleaner bag after we were done vacuuming.

#6 ·
I have been through this too and I remember reading that using vinegar would loosen the eggs from the hair. I guess you would have to comb it through the hair. Probably works like the mayo treatment. Ours boys had lice when they were little and it was summer time so we just shaved their heads, I think that helped a lot. I also did the wash everything repeatedly stuff.

#7 ·
I used mineral oil. I wrap there heads in plastic and wait a few hours. Then I mix vinegar and dish soap and wash twice . Then wash with shampoo and conditioner. And then pick and comb .I just had to do this on the weekend to 8 kids and 4 adults. We are all still clear!
And everyone hair looks great lol

#8 ·
Well, the mayo made a big difference in the number of little buggers I found. We both wore it on our heads for 3 hours with a plastic bag on top of that.

I am very leary of using too many chemicals in my home. I have been spraying everything with a mixture of vodka/tea tree oil hoping that will help on things like the furniture. Plus I have been hearing that the lice are becoming chemical resistant. I think I can believe it.

Oh and I did buzz his hair pretty short so we could see things better.

And no, we are NOT going to Thanksgiving, we are staying home and having a relaxing day. My dh is a bit depressed but I told him no one wants us there with live lice, kwim? I know I would be more than alittle angry if someone brought their infected kids to play with mine. No thanks!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I am open to try most everything.

#9 ·
Vaseline or olive oil. I spray DD hair with a tea tree spray - its supposed to be a preventative, I dont know whether it works but in the 2.5 years she has been at school she has never had them, we get letters back every week saying there has been an outbreak in the class so we have either been very luck or the tea tree has worked..

Good Luck!

#10 ·
If you rinse their hair with vinegar after you wash it, they aren't supposed to get lice. It is supposed to do something to your hair to make it where the eggs won't stick or something.

When I was a kid, my little brother and all his little friends had lice. I never got it even though he used to crawl in bed with me all the time. I found out as an adult that it was probably because I was rinsing my hair with vinegar after I washed it.

#11 ·
Sounds like lots of great advise...I would also like to add....using a hair dryer at the highest heat works well also...they don't like heat! DD had lice once, I did the mayo with plastic wrap, also a great slippery conditioner, with a fine tooth comb. Then the hair dryer...I swear it was the HEAT that killed them and kept them away. My nephews had lice the same time DD did, Dsil did everything I did except the hair dryer...DD has lots of hair...dNephews fine hair dries fast naturally....and DD never came back, one round did it. DNephews came back.....

Oh, wanted to add, DD got lice once at age 23...(she is disabled) I was suprised that she got it at that age. But, at the time it was June and she was on a break from school/work. I didn't dry her hair like I normally would have, I let it dry naturally....so I think thats what let it get a hold. Through the years, we had notes come home from school, but she never got it...until I didn't dry her hair.

Sometimes I dried it when it was dry, just to get the heat on.

DD has enough LOTS of hair so I thought I would be dealing with it for a long time....but it went well..it never came back....

Good Luck!

#12 ·
Use your freezer for things like pillows and quilts that are harder to wash or anything that washing will ruin. Don't forget the stuffed animals kids sleep with.

I ditto the above advice.

Hope they fix your washer, that is hard to be without. Commercial machines dry hotter than home which ruins some things, but will help the kill.

#13 ·
Also should have said to use hair gel, mousse or hairspray. If you use this regularly it keeps them away. They can't breathe. My DS's all wear hair gel and I blow dry my hair. The heat thing works too!

#14 ·
help.............lice!!!!!!

ok ladies......... i really need your help!!!!! i have 4 kids, my youngest dd is 3yrs old & she has the live, no one else!! kinda weird i know. she don't go to daycare, she is home with me all day long!!! anyways, i treated her with the "pronto" lice treatment & she still has a few alive bugs in her hair. what now because i can't treat her again till next week. i currently have baby oil in her hair i heard that suffocates the nits & bugs. any other suggestions????? i'm goign bonkers!! i've washed all the bedding & coats, bagged up the toys & stuffed animals, vacuumed, and all the basic stuff!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!

#15 ·
I am concerned that even with the lice treatment there are still live lice in her head. I suggest you sit her in front of a DVD and take a comb and nit pick and remove/kill any live lice remaining. Make sure to empty your vacuum bag.

#16 ·
The baby oil will smother them, it works best if you put a plastic bag over the hair. The main thing is using a nit comb and combing thru her hair and removing bugs and nits. If all the nits are not removed, new bugs will hatch. I am so sorry you are going through this. There is nothing easy about it, trust me I know.

#17 ·
My daughter has lice not to long ago and we tried the over the counter stuff and it didn't work at all.

I would recommend http://www.lice-rx.com/ I bought thi product after spending money at the local grocery store for the over the counter stuff that didn't work, I can honestly say this stuff worked.

http://www.lice-rx.com/
In only 1 treatment of this stuff, she no longer has lice.

~Tracy~

#18 ·
We struggled with that for a long time...... seems my daughter kept getting reinfested. I have 3 kids. #1 Treat EVERYONE not just your daughter. I used the walmart brand of lice shampoo and comb gel. Wash all bedding and spray the mattresses, throw all pillows and stuffed toys in dryer for 10 min on high heat. If too big for dryer put in plastic bags for 14 days. Sterilize and wash or replace all grooming items. After 1st treatment make sure you retreat in specified time to get newly hatched eggs. After you shampoo, have child sit still and literally pick all the eggs and bugs out of her hair. Put a bright lamp overhead where you can see better. After nits and bugs are out, rub Olive oil in daughters hair then put shower cap on head until morning....... not only does the oil work on lice, it conditions it at same time. (you can even add a bit of lavender oil scent for a better smell) Do this on a weekly basis to prevent reinfestation. The best shampoo to keep lice away is Green Tea or T gel. It took us 6 months to become lice free! Stay on it and good luck!
We have been lice free for 3 1/2 years now.

(I could not figure where we were getting it, then noticed neighbor girl (daughters friend) sitting on couch scratching away.... called her mom and she told me that she cant get rid of it. This child had spent nights at my home and her mother never told me!)

#19 ·
ok ladies.....i treated everyone in my house too. i forgot to mention that in my 1st forum. i will keep the baby oil in her hair for now. my plan is to keep baby oil in her hair for a few weeks just for prevention. i will try the t-gel & green tea. that sound slike a excellent idea. i just can't figure out where she got it from, since she don't go to school or never has play dates. i figured my older kids were carrying it, but they don't even have it. well thanks for all the great advice, i appreciate everything. i will keep you all posted!!!! thanks again!!!!

#20 ·
Angie

Having gone through it a couple of years ago I can sympathize with you.

1. Do go through her hair each night and pick out the eggs.

2. Real Mayonnaise also works. No Miracle Whip

3. Dry Everything in HOT. That will kill the lice in the bedding and clothes.

Kellie

#22 ·
have any of you ladies ever heard of suffocating the lice? i currently have baby oil on my daughters hair & its been about 4 hrs since i put the baby oil in her hair & i covered up her head with a shower cap. just curious if you have ever heard of any success stories with this oil stuff? let me know........i'm stressing out bigtime!!!!!

#24 ·
I've never heard of that and my question would be how is it done?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.