Feet Swelling

Thread: Feet Swelling

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Feet Swelling

Recently (about the last 3 weeks or so) my feet have been swelling, rather badly. Like to the point where I've been wearing flip flops to work everyday, even when it's freezing, because by the end of the day I can't get my shoes off.

What could cause this? I am considerably overweight, but that's not anything new, I've been that way for probably 10 years now.

I'm not pregnant, not menstrual, nothing in my diet has changed. Any Ideas???

I've tried diuretics (sp?), drinking tons of water, drinking no water, cutting out salt (never been much of a salt user anyway). Nothing has helped.

BTK
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would go and see your doctor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unfortunately, I don't have health insurance and no doctor. One of my jobs doesn't offer health insurance as we are not actually "employees" we are all considered independent contractors. And the health insurance at my other job is WAY out of my price range.

Doctor visits in my area start at around $150 for an office visit, so I was just wondering if anybody had an idea of where to start, whether they KNEW it was a warning sign of a particular illness or something so I'd know if it was serious or just a temporary nuisance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's outrageous for an office visit. I hope you can find relief soon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Have you been tested for Diabetes? Being overweight for a sustained period is a risk factor for developing diabetes, even without a change in diet. You can find info at www.webmd.com . HTH.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I did some checking on Diabetes and I can't find swelling listed as a symptom. That's odd to me because my OB/GYN told me swelling was a sign of gestational diabetes. What I DID see at webmd; varicose veins can cause swelling. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I've been searching the internet practically all day and can't find anything either. I guess my first step will be to (shock*horror) try and lose a bit of weight. I haven't actually gotten on a scale, but I know I've gained some since Christmas (darn those cookies and fudge) because my slacks are a bit tighter in the waist than they had been. I guess it's time for rice cakes and celery.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Id reccomend going to your doctor as well or see if you can get into a free clinic somewhere?

Have you tried changing your diet? No processed foods (white bread, processed cheese etc), no salt (not just what you would use out of a shaker but hidden in processed or prepackaged foods) no caffeine (soda, coffee or tea)? A change in your diet may help a lil. Try soaking your feet every night with epsom salts and then put your feet up for an hour or two before bed to see if the swelling goes down.

Another thought - those stockings you can buy in the pharmacy to restrict your legs back into shape....they may have one for lower legs/ankles/feet.

In all honesty you should save up the $150 and get to a doctor asap. Only a professional can diagnose you and advise you properly. Could be anything from diabetes, kidney, liver or heart problems. Dont take this too lightly.

Hope everything works out in your favour and the swelling goes away *hugs*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've done this in the past. Oddly enough, Citrucel did more to relieve it than anything else, since in my case poor digestion seemed to be a root cause. It can, however, also be a symptom of an allergic reaction, kidney malfunction, liver malfunction, generalized malnutrition (usually due to mal-absorption of food rather than failure to eat), and congestive heart failure - I hope you're picking up on the idea that this is not something you should try to self-diagnose and that it can be associated with life-threatening conditions. Now for relief until you get to the doctor, dandelion herbals can help (don't know why) and come in capsules are as a tea and are relatively cheap. I don't like the tea, but mix it with other tea that I do like (equal parts) and can't tell it's there. Hope you get this resolved with no ongoing damage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is just a bit of a comment about support hose. I'm 25 but when I was in my teens I worked at a retail job. My feet would swell at the end of long shifts and my legs generally would get really sore. I know from my current job that support hose aren't cheap but when I worked retail all my coworkers and I wore something similar. I can't remember the brand but there is a pantyhose maker that makes a type of pantyhose that are "energizing". They are basically like "support hose - lite". They are a pain to put on, and they really aren't the most comfortable thing in the world (since I hate pantyhose to begin with) but seriously, they really cut down on my leg pain/feet swelling. They are a lot cheaper than actual support hose too so, it might be something to consider trying before investing in the real thing, just to see if there is any difference.

I hope you figure it out, it doesn't sound like fun at all.
    Plenty of income, plenty of savings but I'm spinning as my previous financial goals have changed and I'm still trying to work out my new plan of attack.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My first thought is a heart related issue b/c I know it can cause circulation issues in hands and feet. Please go to the doctor, just to be on the safe side. Will anyone do a payment plan?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would definitely recommend seeing a doctor. Only with the proper evaluation can you really know what is causing this. Maybe it's minor, but to be sure, you should see a doctor. You can't put a price on your health.