Frugal Village Forums banner

Self Image Challenge.

12K views 149 replies 30 participants last post by  Clutterbug Jen 
#1 ·
Ok - well this may seem a bit strange to some - but I have decided to challenge myself on this one because other wise I don't think that I will hold myself accountable.

If anyone is struggling with the same thing they are more then welcome to join me.

I plan to come back here every few days to update on the ideas that I have come up with and how I am going.

Firtly I will start by saying that I have a wardrobe full of beautiful clothes and cupboards full of perfume / beauty products (it is pretty much the reason I got myself into so much trouble in the first place)

When I finaly looked at all of the stuff I had inrelation to the CC debt that I had accumulated I felt sick, I sold a fair bit of my excess stuff. some evening wear, suits (eek a few pairs of shoes that I had never worn) and then I lovingly packed evrything else away while I worked really hard to adjust my lifestyle and pay down my debt.

Since then (we are talking about a year) I have pretty much given up on the way that I look when I leave the house, it is almost like a self imposed exile from all of the things that got me into trouble in the first place.

I have realised lately - that I look like a frump, I can be barely bothered to make sure that my hair is nice or put on a little bit of make up every now and then and it is time to put my foot down.

I CAN BE FRUGAL AND LOOK GOOD, there is no reason why people who are trying to save money can't do little things to ensure that they look presentable and take care of themselves.

I want to add to everyone that I am not talking about sitting around the home in your trackies with your hair in a birds next (this won't be changing for me) but more like when I go out to dinner or to work.

so the first thing I did last night was go through my cupboards to have a look at what I've got.

Found a heap of moisturisers and hair products and last night had a beutiful buble bath and gave my hair a treatment. I then blow dried my hair and straightened it so today at work I feel relaxed and my hair looks lovely (three people have already commented on it and asked if I had a hair cut?!).

I will ty to find something little to do every day that will make me feel a bit better about my self image that's doesn't cost me anything.

See less See more
Reactions: MomK and britbunny
#2 ·
I would love to join you in this!!!!!!!!

There was a time where I would never leave my house without putting my face on!!!! Now I never do.....

But now I have started working, and next week I start attending classes and have been wondering if my "self esteem" would kick in... and I would care again!

So this is great for me........

Good Luck!!!
and hopefully we can track our progress together.... and I'm with you in the house I get to wear my raggedy clothes....

-k-

#3 ·
I'm in too. I've never really cared about my clothes, ever wearing makeup, moisturizing, using anything scented... any of that. I've started jogging on a regular basis, weight lifting and doing cardio. I've lost 9 pounds this month and I feel great. My clothes fit better, and although it isn't a huge weight loss, its done alot for my self-esteem. I am slowly trying to build a more age appropriate wardrobe for myself and have just started curling my hair and applying foundation just to even out my skin. Its really made such a difference in the way I feel about myself. I like this challenge.

Reactions: MomK
#4 ·
I just wanna say I totally agree with you on the point that there's no reason at all why being frugal and keeping yourself up can't go hand in hand. I admit it does cost some money to buy makeup and such but if you are smart with it and don't let yourself believe you have to have only the best it doesn't have to break the bank. I have gotten a little lax (for me) lately on getting my workout done early on in the day and getting myself fixed up (I like to put makeup on and do my hair even if I'm going to be at home all day....my dh works with the public so I'm conscious that he sees women who care about the way they look.....). So I'll sort of join you in this little challenge. WTG on getting your 'groove' back on ;).

G
#5 ·
I'm in with you. I used to be pretty good about getting my hair and makeup ready every morning, but trying to do that plus get a two year old ready in the morning is just plain hard. I should get up 10 minutes earlier and do it!

I've also been wanting to work on my wardrobe lately. I've finally turned 30, and I need to update my look to something more age appropriate. I also still have about 10 extra pounds from my son, and I need to figure out the best clothes for my body. I'm not heavy by any means, but I used to be super skinny so everything naturally looked good - and now it doesn't. I've donated a ton of clothing lately, and pulled aside a bunch to be altered. Since we're moving, I haven't really bought a lot of replacement pieces, but I need to. I've been looking on the web and in books for some fashion advice.

One thing I have found that meets both goals is using up samples. I have more samples of moisturizers, scrubs, lotions, etc than I know what to do with. So I use them to stretch my regular products, and it's kind of like pampering at the same time.

#6 ·
"I CAN BE FRUGAL AND LOOK GOOD,"

You can. You should. The positive energy you give off when you look and FEEL good is the best thing in the world. A lot of people don't take enough time out of the day for themselves and start to feel lousy, etc.. especially since the Holidays are coming up! Find a beauty routine and stick to it ~ it's amazing how a little "woman" can make you feel.

I'm to the point (34 weeks pregnant) where I don't care AT ALL anymore about how I look. I did just go splurge on myself to get my hair done and it made me feel 10X better.. but I have my days! I think if I could reach to shave my legs I'd feel WAY better.. LOL, might have to ask hubby for some help

When I'm done being pregnant and past the first few weeks.. I am putting myself into this challenge and hoping for the best!

Reactions: missmanny
#7 ·
Thanks everyone for chiming in - I'm glad to see that this is a relevant topic, I was hoping not to come accross as completely shallow.

I just think that even though I am the poor cousin - I don't have to look like it!

Tonight I will be taking an inventory of everything that I have in my house that might come in handy for this challenge.

will let you know tomorrow how I go.

#8 ·
Actually speaking of taking inventory - I cleaned out my handbag at lunch today and found 5 lipsticks - what the???? I haven't worn lipstick for at least 6 months!

#9 ·
I'm in. Been feeling kinda down lately and it shows. I never was a big clothes shopper but I cruised the clearance racks weekly looking for deep discount pieces to add to my wardrobe. So I'd say I have something fresh to wear a few times a month even if it only cost a few dollars. It went a long way in helping me feel pretty. Since we are on a zero spending budget and have been since last November I definately feel frumpy. I haven't bought anything myself for the last 9 months, not even a hair cut and color at the Votech. Being on a budget really wrecks my self image. My son must have noticed it too because he ordered me clothes from Woman Within just the other day and told me that as soon as the Votech starts for the year he wanted me to make an appointment, his treat. Good kid my son!

Anyway, I'm in. I'm looking forward to hearing about how others are improving their self image with this challenge.

Polly

#11 ·
Having our budget slashed to zero has really messed with my waistline. A lot more carbs going in, but I've been doing better with making low calorie recipes by subsituting ingredients. I have not lost anything but at least I'm maintaining now. I brought this up because I feel that that has played a big role in my self image problem. All my clothes are tight, I mean T..I..G..H..T. I can't go out and buy new clothes so the other day I was thinking about how in the world I was going to fix this problem. I remembered an article I had read years ago about shirt dresses. The article said that you did not have to be an expert in sewing, which I'm not, that these dresses could even be sewn by hand. All you needed was shirt and a sheet. Well ladies, that I have. I have several shirts in fact, and tons of fabric and sheets. The roadblock came when I could not remember how to do it. I posted an SOS out on the FV sewing board and a lovely FV ANGEL came to my rescue with the exact dress with a picture tutorial. So simple to do. I haven't started yet, been real busy getting the yard sale together, but I'm going to real soon. I think having clothes to wear that are not tight will go a long way in how I feel about myself and this frugal path I'm walking on.

I just thought I'd put that out there in case any of you are going through the same thing and a wardrobe fix is in order but your finances were not.

Polly

Reactions: mrsmac62
#12 · (Edited)
Today I was surfing the web looking for a new hairstyle and I found a great site. On this site you fill out a survey and they give you 20 hairstyles that would work for you. They won't let you print it out but I had my son take a snapshot so I could print it out to take with me when I get my haircut. I really liked the fact that it gave instructions for the hairstylist. I think that is a really great feature. I've often taken a picture to the salon only to look in the mirror and know without any doubt that they did not possess the ability to see a picture and recreate it without directions. And then I've had stylists that were spot on. I've decided it's not worth the risk.

Here the address if someone might like to try it.

http://www.thehairstyler.com/hairstyle-consultation.asp

I tired to add this address to my above post but it won't let me edit. This is the directions and tutorial for the shirt dress.
http://www.franticallysimple.com/200...-the-ucwwaeds/

#13 ·
Ok so I took an inventory of my cupboards and gathered up some things that will come in handy. This what I found....

1 Hair Straightener
1 Blow dryer
25 Lipsticks (good lord)
5 Foundations
2 lots of pressed powder
3 Mascaras
4 bottles of perfume
5 broaches
umpteen sets of earings
a myriad of bubble bath, bath bombs and exfoliants
Moisturisers, cleaners and toners
Shoe polish and white shoe cleaner
My stash of spare buttons (lots have fallen off clothes and need to be replaced)
Hair clips, ties and headbands
some control underwear (that should help me to fit into some of the smaller clothes that are a bit tight around the middle.)
10 boxes of hair dye (bought ridiculously cheap and should last me for two years)

I also organised all of my vitamins and gym clothes, it is time to get out walking and have made myself a chart to enure that I drink enough water.

This week end, I will be organising my wardrobe and pressing and hanging up everything neatly.

I am also going to have a chat to my ever helpful nanna who has loads of material (some of it from the 50's) and see if she will help me to sew some new clothes - polly - LOVE the idea of shirt dresses (and they are very trendy at the moment too)

so from the above it looks like I have all of the tools to ensure that when I leave the house I look presentable - now I just need to make the time.

I walked to work this morning (well I got off the train two stops earlier and walked further) so I am feeling good - had forgotten how much excercise lifts my spirits.

#14 · (Edited)
Oh and forgot to mention I m booked in to get my hair cut this afternoon - I haven't had a hair cut in 16 months (debt snowball was too important) but now that I have just sent off my last payment it is time to go out and celebrate.

I promised myself that I would have one spurge (this is it) and then I will have to be fully funding the EF (so probably won't be another hair cut for 16 months!) actually it should take that long probably only three months well fingers crossed tha murphy stays away.

So polly am going to look at your website now and see if it gives me any ideas!

#15 ·
PS so far today - I have drank 1/2 of my water for the day - am wearing pressed clothes to work and a little bit of lipstick.

Am feeling preety good, I think that once I get my hair cut I will feel much better (probably after I loose a couple of pounds as well)

#16 ·
Oh MissManny you seem to be on the ball with this self image challenge. I'm not that far yet, just in the planning stage. I did however defuzz my face today. Amazing how much the peach fuzz has increased since I hit 40. That alone makes me feel better. I think tonight I'll get in there and wax those eyebrows. That always makes me feel so much better when I look in the mirror. Other than that I haven't done much beyond the planning stages.

I will say that I am making a real effort to keep those calories down as much as possible. Yes I still am resigned to making meals work from high calorie fare, but I've had some real success today. I'm truly hoping to see some real progress soon, but I'm not getting my hopes too far up since I have thyroid issuses that slow thing down quite a bit.

Next Thrusday I have a hair appointment at the votech school. I'm so looking forward to it. MissManny I hope you were able to find a hairstyle that you like. Make sure you come back and post how it went. I'll not say a word about those 25 lipsticks.LOL! I promise when I do my inventory I'll be as honest about the tally as you.

Polly

#17 · (Edited)
I've been doing an internet search tonight looking for dresses with empire waist lines. I kinda wanted to think outside of the box when styling these shirt dresses. I don't have any t-shirts to use, but I don't think I want to go that direction any way, I do however have 2 tunics that are made from cotton material, like sheets. Here they are

http://www.womanwithin.com/Catalog/...6&BlueBox=462-012103&source=qo&PurchaseType=0

I have the white one with the embroidered detail and the plain black one (Both gifts) I've decided on a black material with white flowers for the black tunic. It is a garbordine and very up to date. My husband said it is really pretty. I think it will complement it nicely. If I have enough material I will make it ankle length with lots of gathers so it it really full. I also think I will make it a lower empire waist. I'm afraid if I make the waist line too high up, like under the breast it will look like a maternity dress. Not the look I'm going for! For the white tunic I'm still undecided.

I thought I'd add a few links here for examples of dresses with empire waistlines. Maybe it will spark a creative streak for anyone who plans on giving this dress a shot.

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing...69&DeptId=9284&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing...48&DeptId=9284&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing...34&DeptId=9284&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing...79&DeptId=9284&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing...92&DeptId=9284&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing...91&DeptId=9284&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing...75&DeptId=9284&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing...62&DeptId=9284&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing...0&DeptId=15415&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing...1&DeptId=15415&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

All of the links look like the same address. I checked and they are not so click on each of them for a different dress.

#18 ·
well, I had my hair cut, nothing very fancy just about 2 inches off the bottom some layers and my fringe re shaped (I had cut it myself - NOT a good idea)

I also had my eye brows waxed at the same time. I walked out feeling really good however it cost a packet am not saying exactly but a touch over $100. Oh well - it was my one splurge after 16 months of debt snowball and there won't be any more until after I fully fund the EF.

#19 ·
Actually as I was walking to catch the bvus home once my hair was all done I walked stright past the hairdressing college with a sign in the mirror that all stlye cuts and blow drys were $16.00. next time I will definately go there instead.

I knew that there was a place but I never knew were it was so that was a great find.

#20 ·
This is a great thread! Who couldn't use a little "me pick-me-up"? I'm jumping in with both feet. Now, off I go to organize the new make-up I just bought (3 foundations, 2 lipsticks, 2 eye pencils & a blush = $14 at CVS!) Woo-hoo! Thanks for starting this thread!

#21 ·
Ok so this morning I got up ironed my skirt and got dressed for work.

I also drank a heap of water and packed my self a healthy and Frugal lunch of some rice crackers and a mandarin and a sandwich.

I have on some lovely patterned tights (it's winter here) a business skirt (I own several of then but rarely wear them to work) and some black flats.

My hair is tidy, I am quite impressed with this hair cut it is very low maintenance and they thined my hair out so it is easier to manage)

Put on a tiny bit of pressed powder and some lipstick (don't want to look like a hooker for work)

I also got off the train two stops early so got a bit of a walk in aswell.

ahhh - mission accomplished - tonight I am going to sew on spare buttons to all my clothes that are missing some.

and this week some time I will organise my shoes and polish the ones that need it.

#23 ·
Oh and also I have decided that from now on the bulk of things that I wear to work, will be black and grey with a bit of a splash of colour here and there (earings or brooches, shoes)

It looks smart, (but also hides a multitude of doughnuts that I have eaten lately)

So far today I am in all black with a bright red scarf, pined with a red broach.

And if I do say so myself looks pretty good and not quite so lunmpy as usual.

Thank fully I have lots of dark coloured clothes and different accessories (woudn't be frugal to buy any thats for sure.)

G
#29 ·
Oh and also I have decided that from now on the bulk of things that I wear to work, will be black and grey with a bit of a splash of colour here and there (earings or brooches, shoes)
I've been trying this approach lately, too. I went through a bit of a goth phase in high school, and as I have really pale skin I've always liked playing it up with dark colors. So I've been wearing mostly black, grey, and some dark blues (not navy - for some reason I HATE navy). I've been trying to accent it with very cool shades of pink, grey, blue, green, off white, and nude - although finding the exact right shades of these colors that work for me is difficult. I somehow put a stain on one of my "glass green" bra top tanks last week, and it just about killed me to get rid of it.

My big thing for this week was I splurged and spent $27 to have a pedicure. I always feel so much better with my toes done, it's a good de-stressor for me, and it lasts for weeks. I've also come down with the worst case of itchy dry skin on my legs, so I've been actually using up a lot of the lotions and moisturizers I have.

#24 ·
Slow day today, I baby sat for a friend but still took care in getting dressed. I put on mascara and eyebrow pencil. I kept to a low calorie diet today with a bit of trouble, but still I figured it was a good day all and all.

MissManny love the black and grey colors idea.

#25 ·
Ooooh, this sounds like something I need to start doing. I've been more preoccupied with how frugal I'm being and not taking care of myself in the process. I find that in order for you to be truly happy about your lifestyle, you need to be emotionally and mentally happy. The best part of looking good is feeling good. :)

#26 ·
I am not feeling 100% today - I have a doctors appointment for a bit later today as my ears are completely full of wax and I can hardly hear anything.

I have been self treating at home with some ear oil that I had hoping that it would go away with out a trip to the doctor (for cost reasons mostly) but alas it has not gone away so off to the doctor I go.

So this morning I will a bit lazy with myself. Last night I did find time to take a nice bath and de fuz all of my bits, I sewed spare buttons on all of my clothes that need new ones and did a bit of ironing so that I would have nice clothes handy for the rest of the week.

tonight if my ears are better I plan to polish / clean all of my shoes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.