Frugal Village Forums banner

Our 2009 Self Image Challenge

85K views 2K replies 39 participants last post by  mauimagic 
#1 ·
It's a new year, now let it be a new us as well. :cheergrl:

This was after midnight so it technically counted for the 1st but tonight I put that gritty stuff in a tube on my face to exfoliate it or something.

Not much but I'm off to a start anyways, right? :)

Have more plans for in the morning and also talked to my friend Brenda who lives just down the hall from me and one of these days [soon],

We're gonna get together and have a pamper our feet day [which mine really need it bad 'cuz I never do anything with them and do tend to go barefoot most of the time.

They're rough and calloused and well, they sure could use some attention, for sure!

My goals for today are:

- Use pedometer, walk at least 2,000 steps [1 mile]

- Put makeup on

- Paint my finger and toe nails

- Use hand cream

- Eat healthier

- Drink more water [I'm really bad about doing this]

What self plans do you all have for the day, gals? :grouphug:

See less See more
#2 ·
I am glad to see this challenge. Was just getting off but I will be back tomorrow!

#5 · (Edited)
I do good with the vitamins every day and also my calcium pills I need 'cuz I just take them the same time as I do my other meds.

But as for drinking water ... I don't like to do it much 'cuz of the nasty taste of our town water here.

A few weeks ago i started buying bottled water but I hate that there's so much plastic that'll end up in land fills from them [oh, wait a minute - that's not true 'cuz in our hi-rise building we have mandatory recycling.]

Still, I'm thinking about maybe getting a Brita system that you put on your faucet or something like that anyways.

Maybe if the water tasted good and was ice cold, I'd drink far more than I do now. :)

#6 ·
I have to keep my water in the fridge to tolerate it. I can't stand room temp water. I'm thinking of a Brita, as well. I buy the bottled in the big 2 gallon bottles, but it comes out to about $1/gallon, which has to be MUCH more expensive than water filtered through a Brita or Pur filter.

#7 ·
I have a Brita on my kitchen faucet as well as a pitcher. It makes a lot of difference in the taste of the water here. Little pricey but so far, I have been able to afford them when I need them.

I have to have ice cold ice water to choke it down. My goal for right now is four glasses a day.

I am also going to be doing a "spa" day once a week and taking better care of my feet as well as being more consistent in all my personal care.

Spa day will happen after dh goes back to work.

#8 ·
I need to drink more water as well. DH has always believed in Brita filters as we have a well and it makes a huge difference in the taste of the water. I am shooting for 3 glasses a day and will up it when I can:puke:

#9 ·
I'm up for this challenge. I have a tendency to lounge around most of the day in my pajamas and finally take my shower and do my hair late in the afternoon. I'd like to improve on that. I also need to drink more water. I was doing pretty well for a while, but slacked off. I keep a bottle in the fridge that I refill from the filtered water on our fridge. I like to add one of those flavor packets to it as well. I find it easier to drink that way.

Today my goals are (1) to get dressed before supper (2) drink a whole bottle of water (I'll have to check the ounces) (3) Pedi Egg my feet, slather them with lotion, and do my toenails (need to remove or touch up polish) (4) 30 min.-1 hour on my WiiFit

#10 ·
I definitely need to do this as well. My biggest thing is putting all my make-up on, just not foundation. I feel so much better about myself when I do. It only takes a few more minutes, just laziness on my part.

Water is another big one for me. I don't drink much period, water or anything, so I really need to get on the ball with this one. I do feel much better when I drink more.

Thanks for the nudge...

#11 ·
Hmm, well I managed a sweater and jeans and wore mascara and lip gloss while taking dd shopping. I looked for new sneakers but couldn't find a 'good enough' deal. I'll keep looking. Mine are pretty gray and grimy. I couldn't find much of anything I liked. I'll need to try Goodwill again. I had green tea instead of more coffee for our break. That has to be healthier.

#12 ·
Yes, green tea is alot more healthy than coffee. So far today I have managed to get down 4 glasses of water. :puke: I didn't put any makeup on, just moisturizer, brushed my teeth and it was sweatpants and t-shirt for me. Lounged around all day.

#13 ·
Happy New Year!!!!

Today we went to our friends for New Years Day dinner. We are all recovering from a stomach virus and our youngest was still feeling iffy, but insisted that he was okay to go, so off we went.

I showered, shampooed and St.Ives scrubbed my face. I moisturized, brushed on some foundation and applied mascara. I dressed in one of my better outfits, black leggings, black boots, and a extra long button down shirt in periwinkle. I fixed my hair even! Now I know I didn't really go all out but after the stomach flu and days of nightgowns I felt really dressed up!

I'm sure that drinking more water would be good for me, but I just find it so hard. Instead I'm going to make sure I take all those handfuls of supplements the required 3 times a day and since it takes about 2 full glasses of water each time to get them down I figure that will be 6 of the 8 glasses I'm supposed to have a day anyway.Whew! I really have taking all these supplements but they are really important for my health and I know that if I'm healthy on the inside it has to show on the outside.

I really need to focus on my feet also, I'll try to get to that sometime over the next few days or so.

#14 ·
Has anybody actually gone in and had their makeup done somewhere? I'm willing to invest in good makeup, but honestly? I've got NO idea what half of it is, let alone how to use it. Do you guys think that if I went in to a store and told one of the girls that I'd come back on a regular basis but could just buy one thing at a time, that it would be helpful? This makes me feel so stupid. Argh. It's frustrating.

#15 ·
Well, I put my whole "face" on this morning! Eye shadow and mascara included. I do feel much better. I also brought 32 oz of water in to work. I want to have that gone by the time I leave today. I had better get started on it! LOL

#16 ·
I also tend to lounge around in my jammies all day. Rarely get dressed before noon. I never wear makeup anyway, so thats not a bit deal, but I need to get better about drinking water, taking vitamins, and (this is gross) brushing my teeth every day!!! When I don't go straight in for a shower, I actually forget sometimes. Yuck.

#17 ·
I'll be getting kids off to school, hubby off to work, then my routine will start with the Wii fit workout, shower and do my hair and makeup! This is the first morning with hubby back to work and kids go back to school Monday!
So, I'll be doing that routine every morning, one thing is for sure, you do feel better about yourself if you do those things so I will be starting Monday, the Wii fit has been a morning routine for a week now and I feel fantastic!
I'm glad someone started this challenge!
Thanks!!

#18 ·
Well, I was showered and dressed before supper, did my feet, worked out on my WiiFit for 48 minutes, but didn't get my whole bottle of water down. I did however have just one cup of hot tea and a half cup of coffee. I'm trying to limit my coffee intake because of the caffeine and because I've been using too much sugar, half-n-half, and squirty cream!

How do you all take vitamins? They seem to make me nauseated when I take a multivitamin. Do you take them at certain times of day or with food only or what?

Dh and I went to the bookstore so that I could use my gift card and I dressed in black jeans, a black t-shirt, long grey sweater, a lovely red scarf that I knitted myself, black Clarks clogs, and black fingerless gloves. I didn't put on makeup,but thought I looked good. My Mom commented on my appearance when I saw her so it must not have been just my thinking. I felt good.

#21 ·
How do you all take vitamins? They seem to make me nauseated when I take a multivitamin. Do you take them at certain times of day or with food only or what?
Multivitamins make me a bit nauseous as well, but I try to take them with food, that helps a lot.

#19 ·
Oops, I forgot today's goals:
(1) shower and dress before evening
(2) WiiFit for 30 min.-1 hr.
(3) Drink my bottle of water
(4) Drink one cup of caffeine only
(5) Play with my eye makeup (I have some cake eyeliner that I want to learn to use and I just can't do it well for some reason. My aunt uses it and it looks so cool.)
(6) Use my arm weights

#20 · (Edited)
Misa, I think it is a great idea to get your makeup done. If you go to a Bare Essentuals store the girl there will do your makeup in the right colors and you only buy what you want to. Just go in fresh faced and ask to have your makeup done. Let them know that you really need help making the right choices, they are great. The makeup there is just incredible, worth EVERY DIME if you can afford it. And check out your hair salons in your area, often times they have hair consultants and can guide you in the right direction. Get your makeup done first because your skin tone is important if you and the stylist decide to color your hair. Example: My hair was bleach blonde and I had this great lipstick and pale foundation, it worked. I deeped my haircolor to a red and what looked fabulous as a blonde looked like a corpse on me as a red head. UGH!!

Taking supplments can be hard on the stomach. I like to have a bit of food with it. But truth be told I mostly like to take them with diet soda, they go down easy and don't bother my stomach. But, I'm going to try the water thing.

I have not got my crap together yet today. Feeling sluggish. I really need to focus. I'll try to get back later today to report on how I did today.

Reactions: MisaLady
#23 ·
I have been thinking about it, and while it is not really frugal, I've decided that part of my self-image transformation has to include buying some new clothes for myself. I mentioned in another thread that I did a HUGE closet purge - got rid of 90% of what I had. Even so, the 10% left is all acceptable, but no "wow" factor in any of it. I feel dressed appropriately (i.e, it fits) in it all, but I don't really look forward to putting any of it on. It is all also several years old or "hand me down" from someone else. Because I work outside the house, and I feel I have to look a step beyond just "professional" at work, in order to command respect, I feel like I just can't feel 100% confident and comfortable wearing clothes that don't represent me in my best light.

So, I am going to allow myself to buy one shirt and one pair of pants or a skirt (of which I have ZERO) each month. In addition, one undergarment (or set) per month and one pair of shoes, probably every three months (haven't quite decided yet, since I have NO nice shoes anymore - all the nice ones I had were the wrong size). My only restriction will be that I have to absolutely love what I buy.

#24 ·
Good for you madhen. Yes, working outside the home, it does help when you have clothes you love to wear to work. Your idea is a very reasonable amount so you should feel no guilt. I knew women who would buy clothes everyday in my hometown!

#25 ·
I think that is great Madhen. I think it is very important to take care of ourselves in ways that make us feel good about our apperance. I think it it totally frugal in the way you developed a plan of action and are just not going out and blowing a wad of cash on a bunch of clothes. That takes self control, of which I do not alway have.

Things did not turn out as planned today, we ran out of oil and had to call to get our tank filled. The tank would need to be primed, but my husband could do that. But it didn't work out that way, our heater is throwing fits again, it is not that old we just bought in about 5 years ago but the dang thing is a lemon. It even caught fire(a few years back) and I had to call the fire department. Last Winter it started pitching fits and needed a major repair, but it always and forever is just quiting on us. Needing to get primed should never be a problem but it is with this heater. The service guy said we bought a dud. What he should have said is his company sold and installed a dud that we paid for! Any way no hot water today so no shower. My husband will have to heat water on the stove and take a sponge bath before he leaves for work. The house will be an ice cube until the portable oil heaters heat it up tomorrow. They heat the bedrooms at night. Any how, no shower today, feeling totally yucky. Put clean clothes on a dirty body, just feel grungy and unkept. teeth are brushed and my clothes match. Not what I hoped for today. I hope Saturday turns out better.

#26 ·
Well, I met all of my goals except playing with my eye makeup and doing my arm weights. I got caught up in going through cookbooks and making up a menu plan and shopping list for the week...also played a bit with youngest son. Those things were needed though so I don't feel bad.

Today's goals: (1) shower and dress nicely even though I'm only going to the grocery store (2) workout on the WiiFit (3) Haven't decided on anything else yet

#27 ·
Hello Ladies,

I have gotten a shower, brushed my teeth, moisturised and dressed in cleaning clothes.

Today I'm going to catch up on my son's laundry, catch up on the bathroom towel laundry and hopefully catch up on my laundry. I'm going to strip down my son's bed and scrub down the headboard with Lysol concentrate, then spray the mattress with Lysol. After that I'm getting another shower and dressed in PJ's. I'm not going to worry too much about how I look today with all this housework. I'm clean and well groomed and that will have to do for today. I will however make every effort to take my supplements today. I ony managed twice yesterday.

Have a Great Saturday Ladies!!!

Polly

#28 ·
I had a very nice spa day today.

First I went to have my hair cut, shampooed, deep conditioned and my eyebrows waxed. ($35.00 inc. tip)

Then I had a manicure and pedicure at Walmart. ($40.00 inc tip)

I bought some spa gloves and socks to keep up with what the mani and pedi started. ($6.00)

I feel all special and feminine now, so it was worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.